The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by sherifshehata
Hi everyone :smile:

So I sent off my UCAS yesterday and I receive 'acknowledgement' emails from UCL, Manchester, Kent and Sheffield and created portal accounts for Kent and UCL (Manchester and Sheffield didn't mention portals in their emails). I also applied to Newcastle but I haven't heard from them yet.

I assume architecture isn't like other courses where you get an offer straight away. Will all my universities ask for portfolios or can any of them give me offers without asking to submit a portfolio? If anyone can answer from experience that would be great.

I assume it goes portfolio -> interview (for some) -> offer? Are there any that give offers straight away?

Thanks

Kent will give you an offer without interview/portfolio (unless you are not taking art at A level) - they reply very quickly!
Sheffield asks for a portfolio.
UCL ask for you to complete a task, then you may be put forward for an interview in which your portfolio will be reviewed.
Manchester asks for a portfolio.
Don't know about Newcastle:/
Hope this helps!:smile:
Original post by cowie
Kent will give you an offer without interview/portfolio (unless you are not taking art at A level) - they reply very quickly!
Sheffield asks for a portfolio.
UCL ask for you to complete a task, then you may be put forward for an interview in which your portfolio will be reviewed.
Manchester asks for a portfolio.
Don't know about Newcastle:/
Hope this helps!:smile:

Thank you so much, I do art at IB higher level. I'm afraid my predicted 5 puts them off though, I hope they're willing to wait and see a portfolio until they consider me.
Reply 242
Original post by sherifshehata
Thank you so much, I do art at IB higher level. I'm afraid my predicted 5 puts them off though, I hope they're willing to wait and see a portfolio until they consider me.

i am also applying to Kent too,I do the IB too, this is what i found on the which university website, check out the website too.

International Baccalaureate34Obtain IB diploma with 34 overall including maths at 4 and English higher level A1/A2/B at 4/5/5 or English standard level A1/A2/B at 5/6/6. MAY accept higher Visual Art 5 or standard Visual Art 6 as portfolio
SO i guess a 5 is not bad!
Original post by audreybitoni
Hi there, I'm a first year architecture student in Sheffield. Courses vary a lot based on different unis, Cambridge= History, Bath=Engineering, UCL=Art, Sheffield= working with the site and client, more like social sciencey. Currently, I have three lectures a week, one in humanities (culture and history in depth), one in Environment and climate (Geography stuff in relationship with building design and sustainability) and one in Technology and Material. In the design studio part, we start from a more creative abstract point to understand the area in sheffield and your room, and the emotion and spacial idea behind it. Now we are in a project called community kitchen where we have an actual derelict site in the city centre to survey, and to design a structure for any communal use, based on the urban analysis of the surrounding area (client, climate, sunlight, wind, funding etc) which makes your design brief. So it is pretty much feeling like working in a project associating with real issues. We have projects which is group based, and gradually individual, and we have the vice versa. We also have workshops every week on either photoshop, technical drawing and other softwares. Defo come to open day coz it helps to make decisions. We are in the arts tower which has a paternoster lift and is the tallest uni building in the UK) (look pretty smart too) I initially intended to go to UCL but I chose Sheffield at last because the sense of student community it has is much better than London. (no.1 for student union) So it really depends if you want to live in a student city or living in more of a 'real life business busy city' really. Student House Rent is also cheaper in Sheffield is around 80-90 per week per person but in London it is above 200. Hope that helps x

It's so helpful having a insight of what the focus is on for different unis so thank you so much!! I'm in yr12 atm but I'm just wondering if you think you will continue with the phases of achieving a qualification as an architect or do you think you're gonna change? If you are continuing would you stay in Sheffield or would you like to apply for a different post grad? Thanx so much!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 244
Original post by czhang1998
It's so helpful having a insight of what the focus is on for different unis so thank you so much!! I'm in yr12 atm but I'm just wondering if you think you will continue with phases of achieving a qualification as an architect of do you think you're gonna change? If you are continuing would you stay in Sheffield or would you like to apply for a different post grad? Thanx so much!!

Agreed, the focus is reaaal important to me. Makes me want to go to Bath so much more. Also does anyone know anything about transferring from an architecture degree to a civil engineering degree? I'm not planning on it but it's a thought. I guess it would be easier at Bath because of how closely linked the courses are but I'm wondering whether it's likely or even at all possible?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Grewsters
Agreed, the focus is reaaal important to me. Makes me want to go to Bath so much more. Also does anyone know anything about transferring from an architecture degree to a civil engineering degree? I'm not planning on it but it's a thought. I guess it would be easier at Bath because of how closely linked the courses are but I'm wondering whether it's likely or even at all possible?

They are the two subjects I'm thinking atm!!! As well as architectural or structural engineering offered in Sheffield Bristol and Bath I think I forgot. I would really like it to be more art based tho... Sometimes I think the reason why I'm looking into architecture is also because I feel that I won't have an as stable job in a creative or completely art based career as I would have in a vocational one like being an architect of engineer...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 246
For those who have applied to Cambridge:
Is it just me or were the interviews a bit too...relaxed? I mean they hardly asked me anything and ..nothing demanding at all. I mean I feel that it went well, but that's probably pretty common for Architecture.
It goes Online Portfolio / Task ---> Interview (portfolio in person) ----> Offer

I took out Kent from my choices, even though its climbed up a lot. Not a huge fan of the location + art department. Replaced it for Coventry and i got an unconditional offer from them today :biggrin:
Original post by larra7
Is it just me or were the interviews a bit too...relaxed? I mean they hardly asked me anything and ..nothing demanding at all. I mean I feel that it went well, but that's probably pretty common for Architecture.

Do you mind me asking what did they actually ask? Did they go thru the portfolio with you? Thanx a lot!
Just got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday! :smile: And their entry requirement is just ABB. I guess it is not too hard. I also got an offer from Kent (They replied within a week) I sent my task to the Bartlett (UCL) 17 days ago but still haven't heard back :frown: I wish I will be invited for an interview. I also applied for Manchester and Bath but still hasn't heard back yet!
Original post by larra7

Yep, I even thought mines was quite casual! I feel like I did quite alright, but I suppose most people did since the interviewers were generally very friendly. :P
Reply 251
I want to apply to UCL/ Edinburgh/ Kent/ Newcastle but i havent sent my UCAS application yet. Since its holiday and my teacher is not going to check it until around 6th Jan. Im so worried that it'll be late and the place would be full :frown:(
Also i dont know about my 5th choice yet, thinking of nottingham or maybe sheffield but my grades are not that good as well :/ and i see so many people getting rejection from sheffield :0, anyone have recommendation or opinion on unis?
Original post by adds24
i am also applying to Kent too,I do the IB too, this is what i found on the which university website, check out the website too.

International Baccalaureate34Obtain IB diploma with 34 overall including maths at 4 and English higher level A1/A2/B at 4/5/5 or English standard level A1/A2/B at 5/6/6. MAY accept higher Visual Art 5 or standard Visual Art 6 as portfolio
SO i guess a 5 is not bad!

That's true for Kent, I'm just worrying about my other universities... :/
Original post by Rocketluke1
Not necessarily, I've received two offers without a request for portfolio etc, however I'm predicted A*A* in art which may influence things

May I know where you've applied? Also which two gave you offers? Thanks
Reply 254
Original post by peterkeixo
Just got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday! :smile: And their entry requirement is just ABB. I guess it is not too hard. I also got an offer from Kent (They replied within a week) I sent my task to the Bartlett (UCL) 17 days ago but still haven't heard back :frown: I wish I will be invited for an interview. I also applied for Manchester and Bath but still hasn't heard back yet!

I wouldn't worry about UCL, they received my task on the 11th of NOVEMBER...
UCL is by far my favourite.. But so so competitive.. 2000 apply and 100 get in...
Reply 255
- Got an offer of AAB for sheffield on friday
ABB for Kent
AAB for Notingham
waiting on UCL (impatiently)... Been a month -_-
Reply 256
[QUOTE=cowie;61265681]I wouldn't worry about UCL, they received my task on the 11th of NOVEMBER...
UCL is by far my favourite.. But so so competitive.. 2000 apply and 100 get in...

Uhm, has not UCL answered you yet? They have received my task on the same day and got a reply a while ago...Maybe you should write them?
I have applied for Sheffield university and I am really struggling with what I should write in the accompanying text for the piece of work named 'my street' please can someone help me.
Got an unconditional from Oxford Brookes today and 13 minutes later got an offer from Reading
Reply 259
Original post by larra7
Uhm, has not UCL answered you yet? They have received my task on the same day and got a reply a while ago...Maybe you should write them?

Good idea, I'll try call them tomorrow, thanks.
However I know others who have sent off their application off shortly after me without a response.. It seems to me that they are going through international applications first.. Are you an international applicant?
Did you get an interview?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending