The Student Room Group

University Islamic ​society suspended over 'protocol breach' claims

The Islamic society at Queen Mary University of London has been suspended while the students’ union investigates alleged breaches of protocols and procedures.

The society said on its Facebook page that the move had come about as a result of allegations that it was unclear about, and it was working with the students’ union “to gain better clarity”.

The society has been accused in the past of hosting events addressed by speakers associated with Islamist organisations such as Hizb ut-Tahrir, which seeks to form a global Islamic state regulated by sharia law.

There was no immediate comment from representatives of the students’ union, but the suspension was confirmed by the university, which is a member of the Russell Group of leading British research institutions.

A spokesperson said:
Queen Mary students’ union has suspended the Islamic society (Isoc) while it investigates claims that Isoc breached agreed protocols and procedures. Further information will be available following the conclusion of the investigation.

Decrying what it described as “hysteria”, the society said in its Facebook post:

It is with a heavy heart and deep sorrow that we regret to inform you that the Queen Mary Islamic Society has been temporarily suspended.

It added:
The Isoc is currently appealing this decision and can hopefully resolve any issues to allow the great work to continue InshaaAllah!

In September the government told the National Union of Students (NUS) to abandon its opposition to the Prevent strategy, which is designed to counter the spread of extremism in England and Wales. The government’s new extremism analysis unit claims that at least 70 events featuring hate speakers were held on campuses last year.

The NUS has been calling for a boycott of the government’s counter-radicalisation strategy for monitoring students and has launched a tour of five cities to oppose it.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/dec/10/student-union-suspends-islamic-society-queen-mary-university-london
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No suprise here. Especially Queen Mary's lol
Reply 2
i ****ing hate hizb ut-tahirr
Original post by TheBBQ
No suprise here. Especially Queen Mary's lol

What's wrong with Queen Mary?
Original post by eoe
i ****ing hate hizb ut-tahirr

They are called HT by some.
I think I recall Maajid Nawaz mentioning something like this on FB, he called out the Islamic Societies on certain uni's that allowed and promoted these radicals.
Reply 6
#NotAllMuslims
Original post by BobbyFlay
I think I recall Maajid Nawaz mentioning something like this on FB, he called out the Islamic Societies on certain uni's that allowed and promoted these radicals.

Maajid Nawaz is a discredited pro-policy dweeb whom the vast majority of the Muslim community have disregarded; only the non-Muslims or fringe-Muslims clap and lap up what he has to say...
Original post by Zamestaneh
Maajid Nawaz is a discredited pro-policy dweeb whom the vast majority of the Muslim community have disregarded; only the non-Muslims or fringe-Muslims clap and lap up what he has to say...

Ad hominems -- nice.

He's one of the few serious reformers with a credible idea for how to deal with the big twenty-first century headache that is Wahhabist Islam. If the vast majority of the Muslim community disregard Nawaz's ideas, then that's a bad reflection on that majority, not on Nawaz.
Another London uni fostering Islamists, no surprises there.

Can someone explain to me this thing about the NUS and "Prevent"?
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Another London uni fostering Islamists, no surprises there.

Can someone explain to me this thing about the NUS and "Prevent"?

Isn't it clear to you? The NUS don't agree with the government's Prevent strategy and they have been calling out on the government because of it.

All of his arguments are based in reason and evidence, he also has the personal experience to back it up. Also how about actually referring to the policies you disagree with rather than resorting to ad-hominems?
Original post by Raymat
Isn't it clear to you? The NUS don't agree with the government's Prevent strategy and they have been calling out on the government because of it.

What is the Prevent strategy and why do the NUS disagree with it?

Tbf the NUS are a bunch of Islamist apologist loons at the best of times.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
What is the Prevent strategy and why do the NUS disagree with it?

Tbf the NUS are a bunch of Islamic apologist loons at the best of times.

It's just a strategy being used by the government to prevent children (or shall I say students) from radicalisation. It is connected to the Counter Terrorism and Security Act and it aims to identify those who are radicalised or close to being radicalised. Teachers or staff are given advice on how to identify such individuals;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/97976/prevent-strategy-review.pdf
Do you not remember this story?
Original post by DiddyDec

omg that guy was in the reggie yates documentary about homophobia

small world :moon:
Original post by DiddyDec

I already shared that story on TSR some time ago.
Original post by Raymat
I already shared that story on TSR some time ago.

Probably the reason I knew about it then.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Wish to live in a world in which our educational establishments were bastions of enlightened thinking, rather than focal points for retrograde ideologies :daydreaming:

Do you think our educational establishments are degenerating?

In a world where Islam receives a lot of negative press, we have individuals like Maajid who actually try to combat this and actually do make a great effort to improve the image of Islam in the West. Surely more effort should be put into 'discrediting' those who hold more extremist beliefs and stopping them from spreading such beliefs which do actually cause harm for the Muslim community in the West, as opposed to individuals such as Maajid?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending