The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Keyhofi
Anything that shifts us one step closer to being a non-British Britain is bad. Sure, we respect your holidays and your culture :smile: but please respect the rules of our society where possible instead of trying to change them; thanks.

How is an extra day off trying to change rules?

What is non-British about celebrating Eid when British people celebrate it?
Reply 21
Original post by Hydeman
A great way to combat Islamophobia is to stop pretending that it's a useful word to describe whatever it is that you're trying to describe.

[video="youtube;lEeauLCOeXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeauLCOeXQ[/video]

4:53
If muslims wereng allowed a day off fir eid i would complain i dont care if jon muslims have a day off because they dont celebrate eid
No. Believers should legally have the right to have time off for those religious holidays but it should not be a national holiday - we are not an Islamic nation.
Reply 24
I take a day off for Eid anyways lol, so it doesn't bother me.

I don't define our national religious affiliation by what is most popular.
This isn't going to combat islamaphobia, lol.
You don't make a religion appealing to others by giving people days off of work in the name of it. That's just stupid
Original post by K.C
4:53

i h8 u
Could always do with an extra day off.
Never heard of Eid, not sure when it occurs, but if it was to be offered as an additional public holiday I wouldn't say no, but if it was to become an additional statutory holiday that I had to take off, eating into my free to allocate as I please holiday, I wouldn't want it.
Reply 31
Think about it this way. England is predominantly a christian country. In Saudi Arabia, Christmas isn't a holiday, so why should eid be a holiday here when a small proportion of the country would actually celebrate it?
if we want to be a secular nation where we separate religion from politics, and vice versa, there shouldn't be *any* legally recognised national holidays based off of a religion! what year is this? 2015? or 1600?
Eid is sometimes celebrated on different days within the same area, so if it were to be made a public holiday, which day would be chosen? :curious:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Think about it this way. England is predominantly a christian country. In Saudi Arabia, Christmas isn't a holiday, so why should eid be a holiday here when a small proportion of the country would actually celebrate it?

I'm a British expat who lives in Qatar, and my school as well as all the other schools here take 3 weeks off for Christmas. Our holiday has just started!

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by intelligent con
In order to combat islamophobia is it time to make eid a bank holiday for everyone in britain? It would make people realise the positives of islam if they got a day off work for it.

It wouldn't make me realise the positives of islam.. christmas and easter dont make me realise the positives of christianity... it's just some time off. Religion shouldnt be a thing in this period of science and real knowledge.
Reply 36
Original post by samina_ay
This isn't going to combat islamaphobia, lol.

Non Muslim: 'You Muslim terrorist!'

Muslim: 'But I thought Eid is a public holiday now'

Non Muslim: 'Oh my apologies, I take that back'
Further destruction of Protestant Britain. In the end we will have enough of Liberalism destroying us and we will fight back the only way we know how as Protestants.
Original post by a noble chance
No. This is a Christian nation. Many of us do not identify as religious at all but it is a Christian nation nonetheless. That is part of our cultural heritage and our national identity. In the interests of preserving that we should not include other religions in public religious observances.

'We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall we left with nothing'

Protestant nation. Not Christian.
Original post by eoe
Muslims should be given a day off for Eid, but not it should not be made a national holiday............**** You !

Why are you getting really mad ?

Latest