The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As an alpha male I have to disagree...
Original post by william walker
Protestant nation. Not Christian.

Protestantism is a Christian denomination. A protestant nation is by definition a Christian one as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Khadijaalimalik
Im Muslim but I respect the fact this is a christian country and well we can't really ask for something such as this....

At my secondary school all the Muslims were allowed to have a day off , surely we should be thankful for this. :smile:

Original post by dniy-10
2 weeks off for Christmas, 2 Weeks for Easter why not 2 weeks off for Eid.

Eid is not really 2 weeks, max is 4 days
Original post by a noble chance
Protestantism is a Chrisrian denomination. A protestant nation is by definition a Christian one as well.

So lets just forget about the reformation and the 150 year struggle against French Catholic Tyranny? Lets just forget about the Restoration and Glorious Revolution, the Nine years war and the War of Spanish Succession. Lets just not take into account the we have an Established Protestant Church and the Monarch is defender of the Protestant faith. I am dealing with historic and political realities here. The read world. Britain isn't a Christian nation, it is a Protestant nation.

:blush: my bad ...
It would be a nice gift to Muslims but if you do that other religious groups will then want public holidays for them also
Reply 47
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
i h8 u

pls
So lets just forget about the reformation and the 150 year struggle against French Catholic Tyranny? Lets just forget about the Restoration and Glorious Revolution, the Nine years war and the War of Spanish Succession. Lets just not take into account the we have an Established Protestant Church and the Monarch is defender of the Protestant faith. I am dealing with historic and political realities here. The read world. Britain isn't a Christian nation, it is a Protestant nation.

Since Protestantism is a subset of Christianity, Britain is both.
Further destruction of Protestant Britain. In the end we will have enough of Liberalism destroying us and we will fight back the only way we know how as Protestants.

Why do you delude yourself?
Original post by eoe
Muslims should be given a day off for Eid, but not it should not be made a national holiday............**** You !

Why are you being so aggressive lol?

I'm not sure of OP is a troll or not, but his suggestion is a good one
I live in a predominantly muslim country. We share the joy of the festive season to the extent possible, with all those Santas and decorated trees around, though not celebrating the day as the Christmas but only celebrating the arrival of the new year instead.

However, from my perspective, personally, I would happily agree to have a public holiday for Christmas. In-line with this approach, I think Britain also has nothing to lose by having public holidays for the special days of other religions which are represented in the nation to some extent. (For less frequent ones, allowing only those who are believers of that religion for holidays could be ok.) This would help show that the State embraces all the individuals in the nation equally. This would also support better dialogue, mutual respect and friendship between nations globally, which we deadly need nowadays.
Regards,
Reply 52
well i mean... I don't take Eid off personally anyway because all I'm gonna do is chill at home and miss out on 4 periods of Chemistry that i have to catch up for and do homework for and ugh -_- it's too much work lol :tongue:

Eid is actually 3 days usually so some people I know take 3 days off :O
like wth man ... what do you even do?!
A holiday just for 5% of the population?
The date of Eid is not fixed on the solar calender.
Original post by Raymat
The date of Eid is not fixed on the solar calender.

Nor is Easter.
Reply 56
Original post by PrincessZara
Why are you getting really mad ?

I am not mad.
Swearing is absolutely natural
Original post by DiddyDec
Nor is Easter.

Easter dates don't fluctuate crazily.
Original post by Raymat
Easter dates don't fluctuate crazily.

It can be any time between 22 March and 25 April. How can bad can Eid be?
Original post by DiddyDec
It can be any time between 22 March and 25 April. How can bad can Eid be?

Eid can be any time of the year.

Latest