The Student Room Group

anyone else got a weird combination of A levels?

I'm starting university in 2016 after getting an unconditional offer from leicester with Geology, Geography and Art as my A levels.
I always got comments on how weird it is to mix Art with Earth science, and i was constantly paranoid that i would receive no offers, especially as so many earth science courses were looking for hard science subjects at A level, of which i had none.(i only applied to two courses in the end as i didn't meet the subject requirements for so many!)
Anyone else taken a mix of a levels people consider unorthodox? A mix of arts and sciences perhaps?

Scroll to see replies

I have:

English, French, history, physics, geography, maths, religious studies and government and politics. Some people think physics and maths are weird in there, but physics complements geography and maths complements physics. Also I like them. Also I had to do a science anyway.
Reply 2
Me! I do physics, geography and politics. Not sure what I could do with them though :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I have:

English, French, history, physics, geography, maths, religious studies and government and politics. Some people think physics and maths are weird in there, but physics complements geography and maths complements physics. Also I like them. Also I had to do a science anyway.

wait wait wait

is this A-levels or GCSEs XoX

i do bio, chem and computing and some people think computing is random :/ i also took AS physics for some reason X'D
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
wait wait wait

IB plus two a levels
Original post by z33
wait wait wait

i do bio, chem and computing and some people think computing is random :/ i also took AS physics for some reason X'D

Yeah I'm confused, so many A-levels?
yes lmao, it is a great combo for art and design but when you tell someone they are like 'whut..' or 'interesting...'

Biology
Art
Product Design
History
xD
Reply 7
Original post by aamirac
Me! I do physics, geography and politics. Not sure what I could do with them though :redface:

interesting! human geography connects to politics maybe? a large part of my A2 geography course was learning about globalisation, including touching on international politics a little. physics just shows how clever you are :smile: im sure you'll find something to do with them. i was told when writing my personal statement that as long as i justify why the skills i learnt in my a levels are useful to the degree i want to take then it's all good
Some people think that my subject choice of geography, history and IT is a bit weird.
Reply 9
IB plus two a levels

oh... is IB easier than A-levels or whut?
Original post by z33
oh... is IB easier than A-levels or whut?

No. It's much harder. Some American unis allow you to go straight into second year if you have done the IB.
Reply 11
No. It's much harder. Some American unis allow you to go straight into second year if you have done the IB.

holy **** :O

gurl you CRAZY for taking all of them subjects at IB level :O
why do UK universities want more than 3 or 4 IBs then ._. but 3 A-levels are enough?
it don't make sense...
Yeahh
Biology, English Literature,Psychology and Latin
A guy I went to college with took Geology, Computing and Film Studies. One of my friends is also currently studying History, ICT and Psychology :smile:
Original post by punkrock
interesting! human geography connects to politics maybe? a large part of my A2 geography course was learning about globalisation, including touching on international politics a little. physics just shows how clever you are :smile: im sure you'll find something to do with them. i was told when writing my personal statement that as long as i justify why the skills i learnt in my a levels are useful to the degree i want to take then it's all good

I guess they interlink. As I do physics I understand the physical side of geography better and as I do politics I can link it to human geography.
Thanks! Just need to find one now :lol:

Original post by z33

why do UK universities want more than 3 or 4 IBs then ._. but 3 A-levels are enough?
it don't make sense...

our form teacher was talking to us about IBs the other day and sais how much more useful they were than A levels bc they teach you life stuff, i wouldn't want to do the compulsory things tho :frown:
Original post by z33

it don't make sense...

You have to do six subjects as part of the IB, plus General knowledge/critical thinking, plus sport, plus charity work, plus music, plus EPQ. I still think that unis don't really understand the IB or how much work is required for it.
Reply 17
Original post by CoolCavy
our form teacher was talking to us about IBs the other day and sais how much more useful they were than A levels bc they teach you life stuff, i wouldn't want to do the compulsory things tho :frown:

sounds better than A-levels tbh
but if it's harder then I'm dropping out X'D
Reply 18
You have to do six subjects as part of the IB, plus General knowledge/critical thinking, plus sport, plus charity work, plus music, plus EPQ. I still think that unis don't really understand the IB or how much work is required for it.

Wow... WOW

just reading this is making me stressed :O
daymmmmmmmmmmmm and they want them all at grade A as well - and they don't even acknowledge critical thinking :O

i'm so fricking grateful rn i'm gonna pray brb
Hoping to do medicine, and I'm doing Maths Chem Bio and Drama lol

Quick Reply

Latest