The Student Room Group

For medicine, which do I need more, maths or physics??

I am at AS level doing four subjects and I want to focus on just three in A2, I do
Maths
biology
Physics
Chemistry
And I want to do medicine?????...help needed please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you don't need either

but i would go with maths
Neither -- picking one over the other would only make you eligible for one additional Cambridge college (Magdalene, which requires maths). For every other UK medical school, you would be fine with either in addition to biology and chemistry.
I would choose maths just saying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths. Physics is awful.
Up to you though, either is accepted. Whichever you can get the best grade in. If you're really not sure, let AS results day decide and go for the one youve the best UCAS in
Reply 5
Doesn't matter, whichever you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A in.
Neither.
Maths is probably an easier A/A* than Physics though.
Choose the one you're stronger in though
Original post by Elliot_97
Maths. Physics is awful.
Up to you though, either is accepted. Whichever you can get the best grade in. If you're really not sure, let AS results day decide and go for the one youve the best UCAS in

Can confirm
Better to have Maths cause you'll have two sciences already.
Reply 9
Yhh maths is more relevant for medicine. If you have the option, do statistics and not mechanics
Reply 10
Original post by liviward36
Better to have Maths cause you'll have two sciences already.

awks moment when maths is considered a science by the med schools ._.
Original post by z33
awks moment when maths is considered a science by the med schools ._.

To the same extent the law schools have no subject requirements (yes and no). Maths is categorised the same but its still better to have a wider variety than just science.
Also its a bad idea to take Physics without Maths anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by liviward36
To the same extent the law schools have no subject requirements (yes and no). Maths is categorised the same but its still better to have a wider variety than just science.
Also its a bad idea to take Physics without Maths anyway.

aha tell me about it

i took physics without maths for AS - I managed to pull of a C and i almost died x'D never AGAIN :O
my maths was so **** - like i couldn't rearrange equations, i had no idea how to use SOHCAHTOA and i still have trouble with fractions :/
but i somehow pulled off a B at GCSE :tongue:
i liked it though :3
Original post by z33
my maths was so **** - like i couldn't rearrange equations

They should advertise this in big bold letters at sixth form open days for physics. You need to be decent with equations to do well in physics at A Level and beyond.
Original post by Ruyshi
Yhh maths is more relevant for medicine. If you have the option, do statistics and not mechanics

Neither of these statements is true... A Level maths is no more relevant to medicine than physics -- the basic numeracy that you'll need in your medical career comprises GCSE-level mathematics, which is part of the minimum requirements for all medical schools anyway.

And no, statistics is not any better than mechanics for medicine.
Reply 15
Original post by Hydeman
They should advertise this in big bold letters at sixth form open days for physics. You need to be decent with equations to do well in physics at A Level and beyond.

exactly - i had such difficulties with that damn resistivity equation -_-
i still can't deal with proportions
like when x is proportional to y^2
what happens when you double x will forever be a mystery to me (and it's gonna screw me in chemistry too)

those 'rearrange this equation to make k the subject and solve for x' questions were bane
-_-
but I caught on and i managed to drag myself through and come out with a C somehow!
Reply 16
Original post by Hydeman
Neither of these statements is true... A Level maths is no more relevant to medicine than physics -- the basic numeracy that you'll need in your medical career comprises GCSE-level mathematics, which is part of the minimum requirements for all medical schools anyway.

And no, statistics is not any better than mechanics for medicine.

I get exactly what you mean, but then 3 subjects are necessary and then Physics is not my best but I heard its more useful to medicine than Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoyNsa
I get exactly what you mean, but then 3 subjects are necessary and then Physics is not my best but I heard its more useful to medicine than Maths

It's not -- pick the one that you enjoy and can get the A/A* more easily in. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by z33
you don't need either

but i would go with maths

I know I really do not need any of them but it's practically compulsory to do three subjects for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Hydeman
It's not -- pick the one that you enjoy and can get the A/A* more easily in. :smile:

Thanks a lot I appreciate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending