The Student Room Group

What would you do if you were UK prime minister?

So you have a chance to be the Prime minister, what would you do?

This is what I would do:

1) Make university tuition fees free for all, including free masters degrees.
2) Nationalise the railways.
3) Amend the smoking ban so pubs are allowed to have smoking areas.
4) Establish close relations with Putin's Russia.
5) Drink driving to be a motoring offence like speeding rather than a criminal offence, and the ban to be discretionary.
6) A mansion tax and second homes tax.
7) The rich to pay more taxes.
8) Rent caps for housing, especially in London
9) Reduce house prices so its possible to buy a 2 bedroom house anywhere in the UK for less than £90,000! Made affordable with mansion tax.
10) Speeding cameras to be abolished.
11) Consider a Union with Russia and Belarus as an alternative to the EU.
12) Support Bashar Al Assad in bringing peace to Syria, but allow the Kurds their own state.
13) Establish good ties with Iran.
14) Give people more say in local government.
15) Dental fees and prescriptions to be free.
16) Abolish and reverse welfare reforms, making sanctions fairer, abolish work capability assessment and workfare.
17) Support British tourism, by encouraging people to holiday in the UK.
18) Allow people more freedom of speech on the internet.
19) Reduce fuel tax in rural areas where car dependancy is essential.
20) Don't put the clocks back in October.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Spend..

1) Commit to a fiscal surplus and creation of a sovereign wealth fund.

2) Commit to reducing the size of the state as a percentage of GDP every single year

3) Cut the welfare and foreign aid budgets while increasing the defense and capital spending budgets (transport, housing, energy).

Tax..

1) Lower 45% income tax threshold to £100k and use any revenue to abolish National Insurance.

2) Aim to abolish VAT and Business Rates while setting Corporation Tax at 20%.

3) Commit to reducing the tax burden on the average person as a percentage of GDP every single year

Regulation

1) Any Plc recording a net profit margin in excess of 10% will be required to increase wages for the lowest quartile of employees by 5% during the following financial year

2) Ownership and Control will have split shares. Nobody born outside the UK in new Plc's will be permitted to control more than 45% of the firm.

3) All franchised contracts issued by government will be reviewed with changes in structure to follow in order to promote competition. This will also be the case where government provides subsidy or guarantee to the private sector.
Allow Donald Trump to be Prime Minister instead

rustled
Reply 3
Original post by Ambitious1999

This is what I would do:

Paid for how?
Given that the Network as a whole is loss making how do you plan to pay for the ongoing costs. Increased taxes, lower spending or closing lines.
Disagree. Humans are irrational when it comes to their own health.
You what! We should be investing in our military to counter him.
5) Drink driving to be a motoring offence like speeding rather than a criminal offence, and the ban to be discretionary.
The ban should occur but i agree with fines over prison.
Needs a lot of amending to be viable.
Why? The state is fat.
Why not respond to the price signal of rising prices by increasing the supply of rentable stock instead.
9) Reduce house prices so its possible to buy a 2 bedroom house anywhere in the UK for less than £90,000! Made affordable with mansion tax.
A mansion tax will reduce the price of mansions due to decreased demand. How do you plan to lower the prices of the rest. Either you'll need a monumental increase in housing supply or you need to decrease the supply of credit for mortgages significantly.
Why?
Why? They are both poorer per person but also nominally and have a smaller collective air force and navy... Where's the advantage.
12) Support Bashar Al Assad in bringing peace to Syria, but allow the Kurds their own state.
I'd rather the west occupied Syria but sure..
Iran is a Russian puppet although it does have plenty of oil so i'll agree.
On which issues. Will NIMBY's get more power?
Why? Paid for how?
16) Abolish and reverse welfare reforms, making sanctions fairer, abolish work capability assessment and workfare.
We need to reform all those things but turning back the clock is a bad idea. IDS may be woeful at doing anything but these are areas with merit.
We do this now. What else would you do?
This is the UK, we already have that. Would you force website owners like TSR to allow certain things?
Fair enough. Paid for how though.
Can't say i care much but we have to bear in mind folk living in the north of Scotland who get less than 6 hours sunlight in winter and barely see the sun set in June.

1) Outlaw Cirumcision of any kind and harsh sentences for anyone that does it or if parents try and go elsewhere to get it done as per genital mutilation)
2) Scrap Faith Schools-Hotbeds of extremism, creationism, intellectual garbage and segregation.
3) Declare a health war on Obesity- massive clampdown on sugary and fatty foods particularly those aimed at children. Make Formula milk prescription only. Build free communal outdoor gym equipment in every local area.
4) Liberal Eugenics- offer cash incentives of sterilization- particularly in those with serious inheritable disabilities and make adoption easier.
5) Nationalize the energy sector and invest in all forms of renewable energy-particularly nuclear power.
6) Abolish the Monarchy and shrink the House of lords and reform to an elected senate. Change National Anthem to Smack my Bitch up' by the prodigy.
7) Make atheism the state religion and ensure that a copy of The God Delusion is available in every school. Ban collective religious worship. Make sure that the state does not pay for any religious body or individual.
8) Foreign aid to be limited to contraceptives and atheist propaganda.
9) Integrate closer with the EU
10) Establish greater recognition for Kurdistan and cool relationship with Turkey
11) Lower Corporation Tax but bring in some form of Land Value Tax.
12) Limit child benefit to first three children.
13) Quadruple sentences for child killers/ rapists whilst reducing sentences for most other crimes overall.
14) Legalise most drugs.
Make Enoch Powell a national hero.

Follow Powellism.
Original post by Ambitious1999

This is what I would do:

1. rebuild industry in this country **** the environment make the country self sufficient
2, go to war with as many scum nations as possible by bolstering our army #
3. tell tax evaders to pay their share or they can take their goods out of this country- will be deported
4. Burn terrorists alive, or tie them to the back of a van and drive as fast as possible
5. instill a nationality tax and stop welfare for non english citizens we should be saw a superior in our own country - more money for us less for foreigners some may go back home
6. minimum wage of at least £10 a hour
7 stop austerity cuts which increase debt not decrease debt
8 build more affordable housing- you have to be english to qualify.
9. close borders.
10. If i was in power i would do falseflags to get what i wanted. if i wanted to invade syria i would get some syrians give them some home made powerful explosives and plant all the evidence on syria and islam
11, people who do not work can do community service unless they are severley disabled they will be paid the minimum wage for the first 15 hours every week. then nothing afterwards so it is more than the dole but less then having a full time job they will work 40 hours
12.install nuclear base on the moon so they bombs are untraceable
13.fabricate election results so i win every time
14. Anyone who disagrees with anything i say will be on a murder charge
Original post by Davij038
6) Abolish the Monarchy and shrink the House of lords and reform to an elected senate. Change National Anthem to Smack my Bitch up' by the prodigy.

LOL -- repped. :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Literally been laughing at the posts on here

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Change the electoral system to a closed list system
2) Reduce the size of the House of Lords, making it 50% elected
3) Reduce tuition fees to £6000
4) Leave the EU, negotiating a free trade agreement such as those in place with Norway and Switzerland
5) Ensure that every migrant coming into the UK can speak a reasonable amount of English
6) Redesign the national curriculum to ensure that it is appropriate for the 21st century, however ensuring that core subjects continue to be insisted upon
7) Work with President Assad to fight ISIS, then work towards a transitional government and rebuilding period in which he has a place
8) Phase out child tax credits
9) Ensure the English Votes for English Laws legislation passes
10) Set up schemes to help migrants fit in to British society and allow them to adopt British culture
11) Ship Jeremy Corbyn off to Raqqa to negotiate with ISIS
If OP ever became PM, I would leave

millionaire business people do more for this country than self-entitled students.
Reply 11
Everyone should get a free doughnut from Greggs.
Original post by melondew26
Everyone should get a free doughnut from Greggs.
As someone allergic to gluten, I'm going to take this government policy all the way to the European Court of Human Rights in Strausbourg on the grounds of discriminatory treatment.
Obviously first, I would have some fun with a pig.
Original post by ERose91xoxo
yes drowzee has told me about these fantasies you have :erm:

Yes. I dream of this day and night.

Original post by ZakiTheTory
1) Change the electoral system to a closed list system
2) Reduce the size of the House of Lords, making it 50% elected
3) Reduce tuition fees to £6000
4) Leave the EU, negotiating a free trade agreement such as those in place with Norway and Switzerland
5) Ensure that every migrant coming into the UK can speak a reasonable amount of English
6) Redesign the national curriculum to ensure that it is appropriate for the 21st century, however ensuring that core subjects continue to be insisted upon
7) Work with President Assad to fight ISIS, then work towards a transitional government and rebuilding period in which he has a place
8) Phase out child tax credits
9) Ensure the English Votes for English Laws legislation passes
10) Set up schemes to help migrants fit in to British society and allow them to adopt British culture
11) Ship Jeremy Corbyn off to Raqqa to negotiate with ISIS

1) why not an open list? open list is more democratic
2) why not all elected? they're public law makers. leave the expertise to the committee stages.
6) I'm hoping that this means that RE ought to be replaced with something a little more useful e.g. politics or philosophy
7) work with the dictator that we were going to bomb...okay...bit two-faced...?
9) would you not rather full english devolution?
10) "allow them to adopt british culture" - how? don't they have liberty to choose already? what will "help" them do this? what if they don't want to? currently, they isolate themselves in their own little communities, voluntarily
11) lol
(edited 8 years ago)
which one are you? xx

The horny one.
r u flirting with me :erm:

I'm telling drowzee

:mmm:

Depends...are you a pig?

i can oink in bed for you if you want? :sexface: xx

It's actually making me feel dirty talking about pigs in this manner (me being a vegetarian and all....) so I'm afraid I shall end out conversation right there.

Spoiler

Original post by TheRadUser
If OP ever became PM, I would leave

millionaire business people do more for this country than self-entitled students.

true, in an economic sense; they pay most of the taxes and they're only rich in the first place because they make people/consumers happier than otherwise, or else they wouldn't be a success - "rich people" (discounting inheritors who do nothing with their money) are the ultimate utilitarians in a technical sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending