The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Think there are some selective memories on Hernandez. Most people didn't seem that un-happy to let him go. Was poor under Moyes, poor in his trial run under LVG, poor for Madrid who didn't want him for pocket change. He's doing well for Leverkusen, first every club hat trick the other week, but I think he's found his level tbh. He didn't want to be a sub but hadn't shown himself good enough for first choice.
I'm happy with the transfer window we had, very happy. The only problem I had was letting Adnan go out on loan. If I knew Rooney was going to turn to ****, than yeah, we probably should have brought in another established forward. But no one could have predicted Rooney's form to be this bad.
Reply 45
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Edited it :colone: I just wanted to post that for lols :h:

O rlly, suppose this was to do with SA-1
I'd take a punt on Hakan Calhanoglu in January he's 21/22 can play midfield or attack and has a bright future (and isn't Europa league-tied)
Reply 47
**** that first page
Hernandez was sold, because he was complete garbage for three years. He's scoring now and fair play to him, but he played like **** for us, so I believe he was rightfully sold. The issue was Van Gaal not buying replacements and also loaning out Wilson.

I agree with Fizzel. He has found his level.
Preach Fizzel and Nathan...

Feel like mata needs to improve was invisible the 2nd half and we should not play mcnair next game
Reply 50
Original post by Dirtybit
Apparently I'm "in charge' of this thread now lolololol

Deja-vu

Original post by Rk2k14
I propose we remove Diry and put Scrawl in charge of the thread.

@zKlown Agree?

He certainly would keep things clean so to speak

Original post by Kenan and Kel

Oh I miss these times :frown:

Luke >>>
Andy Mitten of UWS is saying in private unless LVG wins a trophy, ie the league or FA cup (which let's be fair isn't happening), he does believe the club will let him go.

What seems unsure, is if top 4 becomes a risk and Utd exit the FA and start sitting round 6th place for example, whether they'll wait until May.

You'd have to think Ancelotti has got to be the favourite in all this. As I said before one of top 3 coaches in the world so if Pep is off to City, we have to make that move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I'm happy with the transfer window we had, very happy. The only problem I had was letting Adnan go out on loan. If I knew Rooney was going to turn to ****, than yeah, we probably should have brought in another established forward. But no one could have predicted Rooney's form to be this bad.

Really? We made some very good signings but leaving the squad so small.

Not just this window but last window. No CBs bought, 1 full back with wingers as cover, selling Kagawa and Welbeck was wrong IMO too.

Bad transfer policy.

Original post by hayles101
Andy Mitten of UWS is saying in private unless LVG wins a trophy, ie the league or FA cup (which let's be fair isn't happening), he does believe the club will let him go.

What seems unsure, is if top 4 becomes a risk and Utd exit the FA and start sitting round 6th place for example, whether they'll wait until May.

You'd have to think Ancelotti has got to be the favourite in all this. As I said before one of top 3 coaches in the world so if Pep is off to City, we have to make that move.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the injuries we have I'm already fearing for top 4.

What a wasted 2 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Ancelotti is waiting for the United job. As much as I want us to there's no way we'll sack LVG until CL is mathematically impossible, like Moyes. We'll sign a couple of players in January and scrape 4th again which still isn't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
You know that last year we were on 31 points after 16 games. Now we're on 29 points after 16 games.

#Progress
#LolJoke

If Crystal Palace win today they are level on points with us.
If Tottenham win they are above us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good points on Hernandez.

Didn't even know Wilson was on loan at Brighton, since when.
Original post by sr90
I think Ancelotti is waiting for the United job. As much as I want us to there's no way we'll sack LVG until CL is mathematically impossible, like Moyes. We'll sign a couple of players in January and scrape 4th again which still isn't good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barring a HUGE turn around (as in we go on a great run of results and end right up their for the league in May) I think the writing is definitely on the wall come May.

Unless he wins the FA cup or something, I highly doubt 4th place will save him. Not when he's only got a year left anyway. How would it benefit the club to keep him another year and have this all over next year? When we can start bedding in the new coach ready to compete 2017.

As for it being mathematically impossible before sacking.. if he's sitting in 7th come Feb, out of FA cup, a mountain to climb, again why wait?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

The guy was terrible last season and clearly looked on the decline for the past couple of years(even when he was scoring for Moyes). Plus considering how bad all your strikers were last season and LVG's style. Rooney's form was always going to suffer when he's regularly isolated in LVG's system. Didn't expect him to be this bad too but he was always going to be dodgy.
Barring a HUGE turn around (as in we go on a great run of results and end right up their for the league in May) I think the writing is definitely on the wall come May.

Unless he wins the FA cup or something, I highly doubt 4th place will save him. Not when he's only got a year left anyway. How would it benefit the club to keep him another year and have this all over next year? When we can start bedding in the new coach ready to compete 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily as he's clearly building a team. Despite the team being atrocious I don't think his minimal aim is to win the title.

Being knocked out of CL does affect his future though.
Reply 59
It's going to be funny to see people's reactions when LVG scrapes top 4 and doesn't get sacked but gets a contract extension for another 2 years.

Latest