The Student Room Group

A Level Additional Further Maths

So as past few weeks I've been considering doing additional further maths, basically just so I can have the holy trinity under a-level qualifications :laugh:!

After doing maths and further maths the modules I have left are;

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

I am wondering a few things;,

Firstly, how long does it take roughly to complete each book.

Secondly, where is the best place to obtain** these books, I seen them on ebay uk for £15 each, but I dont really want to spend £90 on 6 books...

Also, I have heard horror stories about M5, how hard is it is comparison to FP3 (as I've heard M5 is very core mathsy (<--new word) with lots of calculus and first principle work)

Lastly, is it enjoyable or do all the applied modules just get boring after a few?

**obtain \neq buy :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
So as past few weeks I've been considering doing additional further maths, basically just so I can have the holy trinity under a-level qualifications :laugh:!

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

Secondly, where is the best place to obtain** these books, I seen them on ebay uk for £15 each, but I dont really want to spend £90 on 6 books...

Also, I have heard horror stories about M5, how hard is it is comparison to FP3 (as I've heard M5 is very core mathsy (<--new word) with lots of calculus and first principle work)

Lastly, is it enjoyable or do all the applied modules just get boring after a few?

Out of those I've only done S4 and D1.

For Edexcel, S4 is 3 chapters long. I would say that it's easier than S3, and if you enjoyed S2/S3 you'll probably enjoy this one too. It doesn't take that long to learn everything, and I've sound that some concepts from S4 have come up in second year statistics.
As for how long it would take to learn everything, it's probably not the longest module in the world. Less time than S3, I would say.

D1 has very mixed opinions. Some say that it's not 'real maths' and that it's 'boring' but I for one enjoyed it. The content was fun and straightforward. The only problems are how easy it is to make mistakes and lose marks, and if you were to print out past papers you'd be using a lot of paper! I'd say it takes about an hour per chapter to learn the content plus pracice a few questions, and if you put a few more in to practice everything you should be okay.

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

Hmm as far as obtaining the books goes, I get all of mine from my school (they keep 1-2 copies of each of the really further modules like M4, M5, S4 etc. ) so I've actually stolen (with the intent to return :3 ) those. But if you're doing Edexcel, you should try to find the LiveText version online (it's an interactive copy of the book which you can annotate on your computer) and I actually don't even use the hard copies because I love LiveText so much. I even bring my laptop to school and during frees (aka Add. FM period) I whip it out and maths away *0*

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

Ask your teachers what they think - they know you better than we do and which modules will suit you. I'm sure they'll lend you copies of the texts - we have a few of each - personally I love all the mechanics modules and decision maths.

Only do this is you aren't doing STEP as that is far more important and time consuming.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Out of those I've only done S4 and D1.

For Edexcel, S4 is 3 chapters long. I would say that it's easier than S3, and if you enjoyed S2/S3 you'll probably enjoy this one too. It doesn't take that long to learn everything, and I've sound that some concepts from S4 have come up in second year statistics.
As for how long it would take to learn everything, it's probably not the longest module in the world. Less time than S3, I would say.

D1 has very mixed opinions. Some say that it's not 'real maths' and that it's 'boring' but I for one enjoyed it. The content was fun and straightforward. The only problems are how easy it is to make mistakes and lose marks, and if you were to print out past papers you'd be using a lot of paper! I'd say it takes about an hour per chapter to learn the content plus pracice a few questions, and if you put a few more in to practice everything you should be okay.

I loved the random variable work in S2, S3 was a little more boring but still decent

I had a look at a past paper, it seems to be just learning off methods and algorithms to complete puzzles ie find the shortest path of this guys journey. A few learning modules might not be the worst thing in the world,

Also are you saying D1 could be finished in a day/weekend if I really tried?
set fire to your eyebrows... it is cheaper and more fun
Reply 6
Original post by Student403
Hmm as far as obtaining the books goes, I get all of mine from my school (they keep 1-2 copies of each of the really further modules like M4, M5, S4 etc. ) so I've actually stolen (with the intent to return :3 ) those. But if you're doing Edexcel, you should try to find the LiveText version online (it's an interactive copy of the book which you can annotate on your computer) and I actually don't even use the hard copies because I love LiveText so much. I even bring my laptop to school and during frees (aka Add. FM period) I whip it out and maths away *0*

Thank you very much, I will look into that.

I think my school have the further maths books, ie further pures and up to 2s in the applied. I seriously doubt they have M4/5 unless they have them locked in a vault or something
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Ask your teachers what they think - they know you better than we do and which modules will suit you. I'm sure they'll lend you copies of the texts - we have a few of each - personally I love all the mechanics modules and decision maths.

Only do this is you aren't doing STEP as that is far more important and time consuming.

I won't be doing STEP this year at least, I have no need for it
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
set fire to your eyebrows... it is cheaper and more fun

Well Additional Further Maths and setting fire to your eyebrows probably go hand in hand anyway :laugh:
I loved the random variable work in S2, S3 was a little more boring but still decent

I had a look at a past paper, it seems to be just learning off methods and algorithms to complete puzzles ie find the shortest path of this guys journey. A few learning modules might not be the worst thing in the world,

I see, I see.

Yes, if you spent enough time in that day I am sure that it'd be possible. You'd need to spend more time practicisng but to get to grips with the content and do some practice, you could do it in that time.
Reply 10

Easily.
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
I see, I see.

Yes, if you spent enough time in that day I am sure that it'd be possible. You'd need to spend more time practicisng but to get to grips with the content and do some practice, you could do it in that time.

Original post by Zacken
Easily.

:laugh: No doubt my school would find a way to drag it out over half a year haha

Zacken have you done D2, is it a similar story?

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

M4 and M5 each takes two weeks.

I bought it on amazon

M5 is fun but i think you may need FP3.If u think your good at mechanics give it a go its really worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by Duke Glacia
M4 and M5 each takes two weeks.

I bought it on amazon

M5 is fun but i think you may need FP3.If u think your good at mechanics give it a go its really worth it.

I'm currently working through FP3 for further maths. M5 seems amazing, but idk how difficult it is (5 is a big number :afraid:)
M4 and 5 are very fun however I'd bet getting 1 grade better in STEP would be better than having done M5. Just my opinion.
Reply 15
Original post by Louisb19
M4 and 5 are very fun however I'd bet getting 1 grade better in STEP would be better than having done M5. Just my opinion.

Im not doing step though

S4 M3 M4 M5 D1 D2

Are you on a gap year, and are you going to self-teach for AFM? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ben4
Are you on a gap year, and are you going to self-teach for AFM? :smile:

I'm torn between whether to take a gap year next year to self-teach all 6 modules, do more maths things and prepare for STEP. Upon reviewing my UCAS application it was very poor and so I want to strengthen it!
I'm torn between whether to take a gap year next year to self-teach all 6 modules, do more maths things and prepare for STEP. Upon reviewing my UCAS application it was very poor and so I want to strengthen it!

Oh sounds like a good plan, are you applying for Maths?
Reply 19
Original post by Ben4
Oh sounds like a good plan, are you applying for Maths?

Yes I am, I don't think there's a rush to go to university. Although I'll see what offers I get, although I wouldn't be surprised to get rejected from my top 2/3

Quick Reply

Latest