The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemBoss
Guys does anyone want to set up a new whatsapp group? If you are then PM me and ill try get one sorted.

I've messaged you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys do you think there's a point in going through some of the NHS topics that have happened in the past couple of years such as the following?

-Ebola
-Swine Flu
-Ebola
-Homeopathy
Guys do you think there's a point in going through some of the NHS topics that have happened in the past couple of years such as the following?

-Ebola
-Swine Flu
-Ebola
-Homeopathy

Definitely! Especially for MMI interviews
Original post by kdizzle97
Definitely! Especially for MMI interviews

Im not entirely sure as to what they can ask regarding Ebola/Swine Flu?

Do you thin it will be along the lines of what is this virus? Or more to do with its impact on society?
Hi guys i'm a medic applicant for 2016 entry and this is my first time using TSR. However, there are only a few medic applicant (not more than 3!) in my school, therefore may I know if anyone is interested in practising interview with me via Skype? It's not necessary to be one-on-one, we can form a small group probably around 3-4.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have gcse 6A* 3A 1C
AS aaaaa
Ukcat 655
Bmat 5.2, 6.2, 3B
Does anyone have similar stats and has any interviews?
Original post by olivia7001
I have gcse 6A* 3A 1C
AS aaaaa
Ukcat 655
Bmat 5.2, 6.2, 3B

Depends where you applied - for the bmat you should be fine - someone with very similar scores got an interview from imperial :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olivia7001
I have gcse 6A* 3A 1C
AS aaaaa
Ukcat 655
Bmat 5.2, 6.2, 3B

Very similar stats and I have had an interview at Cambridge
I may sound bit stupid, but was the ebola outbreak last year?
Original post by john_jomcy98
I may sound bit stupid, but was the ebola outbreak last year?

The main Ebola outbreak started last year, but carried through to this year! Although there was an outbreak in Uganda in 2012, but it was no where near as serious as the most recent one!
Original post by madmed16
The main Ebola outbreak started last year, but carried through to this year! Although there was an outbreak in Uganda in 2012, but it was no where near as serious as the most recent one!

Right, I see. I was surprised how time flies! I remember following the news like it was yesterday. Thanks
Original post by john_jomcy98
Right, I see. I was surprised how time flies! I remember following the news like it was yesterday. Thanks

I know, it's scary!! That's no problem 😊
Does anyone have an interview for Leeds yet???
Im not entirely sure as to what they can ask regarding Ebola/Swine Flu?

Do you thin it will be along the lines of what is this virus? Or more to do with its impact on society?

They could give you an article, show you a video and ask questions relating to them. They'd be more likely to ask questions about its impact on society/health agencies
Is it common for medical schools to offer you lower grades than what you are predicted as in some other courses? Could they offer you lower if your UKCAT is higher or is it unlikely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 535
Hi all,
Well done to all of those that have already got an interview invite, but I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard back yet - it is still early days to be honest, and a lot of places do take a while to get through all the applications.
I know that you will probably read a lot of stuff about what to learn for the interview, and I wrote a blog post about the 'smaller' things that you may/may not have considered, but I think are important considerations when it comes to, not just the medical interview, but interviews in general. I hope that some of you find this useful!

http://uclmedic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/medical-school-interviews-do-sweat.html
(It is way too long to copy into here)

Good luck to everyone, hope it goes welll! :smile:
Original post by mdeal132
Is it common for medical schools to offer you lower grades than what you are predicted as in some other courses? Could they offer you lower if your UKCAT is higher or is it unlikely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that would be quite unlikely due to the competitive nature of the course
can anyone help with the Why not nursing question? Im struggling to think of an effective answer for the question. Ive had a look at the ISC book which mentions doctors driving the decision making process and generally taking the lead in terms of the care of the patient but the other points raised dont seem convincing? Especially since nurses are increasingly taking roles and carrying out tasks that doctors would do :\

thanks in advance for any help!
Original post by udeyomydays
can anyone help with the Why not nursing question? Im struggling to think of an effective answer for the question. Ive had a look at the ISC book which mentions doctors driving the decision making process and generally taking the lead in terms of the care of the patient but the other points raised dont seem convincing? Especially since nurses are increasingly taking roles and carrying out tasks that doctors would do :\

thanks in advance for any help!

I think maybe how doctors diagnose which was important and also the heavy academic content in medicine.

Tbh, I think this question is slightly unfair, you don't go up to someone who wants to be a teacher and ask them, why not a childminder (for example)
Original post by Jatyization
Hey everyone, I have a question again! :biggrin:

So, if asked the almost inevitable question "Why do you want to study medicine?", would an appropriate answer include personal experiences? Such as experience with end of life relatives and how doctors helped alleviate their suffering. I have always tried to steer clear of this approach but the ISC medicine book says its better to be more 'personal'. What is everyones opinion on this personal approach? :redface:

Thanks! :smile:

I talk about my friend who has psychotic episodes mainly, then "consolidating my decision to do medicine" through work experience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending