The Student Room Group

What can I do in year 12 for my personal statement?

Hi. I want to apply for economics or maths and economics at somewhere like lse or ucl. I heard that a personal statement is really important for lse and that they care about supercurrcular activities.

So far I don't really have anything to put on my personal statement next year except a conference that I went to and a few articles I read from the economist. Also, I did the maths challenge.

I have some extra curriculars (ncs challenge, Oxfam volunteering, badminton club, maths mentoring, prefect, librarian, going to start swimming this year) but I don't have anything specific for economics.

So what books can I read and what can I do to show my passion for economics and make my economics personal statement stand out? Specifically, what did you do to get into economics at lse or ucl or Oxbridge (although I welcome all responses and not just people from those universities)?
Original post by Coollad1999
Hi. I want to apply for economics or maths and economics at somewhere like lse or ucl. I heard that a personal statement is really important for lse and that they care about supercurrcular activities.

So far I don't really have anything to put on my personal statement next year except a conference that I went to and a few articles I read from the economist. Also, I did the maths challenge.

I have some extra curriculars (ncs challenge, Oxfam volunteering, badminton club, maths mentoring, prefect, librarian, going to start swimming this year) but I don't have anything specific for economics.

So what books can I read and what can I do to show my passion for economics and make my economics personal statement stand out? Specifically, what did you do to get into economics at lse or ucl or Oxbridge (although I welcome all responses and not just people from those universities)?

A friend that got into LSE for economics was part of a programme called LSE Choice - that may be worth looking into.
Is there an economics society at your school? If not, why not start one up?

Invite guests every few weeks to give talks
Reply 3
Original post by Student403
Is there an economics society at your school? If not, why not start one up?

Invite guests every few weeks to give talks

There is one but its only for people who are struggling at a level economics and not really for discussing issues. I guess I could start a 'economics issues society' though. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
A friend that got into LSE for economics was part of a programme called LSE Choice - that may be worth looking into.

Thanks but it looked it up and it said that it was mainly for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and who receive free school meals/live in an area with low university participation, so I can't really do it... But thanks for replying anyway.
Original post by Coollad1999

Are you at a state school? Oxford has a summer school for state school pupils which you could apply for.

Apart from that, have a look at university reading lists for idea of what to read.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you at a state school? Oxford has a summer school for state school pupils which you could apply for.

Apart from that, have a look at university reading lists for idea of what to read.

Yes I am. Thanks for your help.
Taster days (they're common and easily accessible if you're from London)

Look for events or workshops that happen around where you live with EventBrite
Reply 8
Bump
Commenting so I can follow this thread.
Original post by Mystery.
Commenting so I can follow this thread.

Are you in year 12 as well? If so, what have you done so far to put on your personal statement?
What I would recommend is just forgetting about your personal statement and just focusing on getting top marks in A level maths and Economics. The personal statement is extremely overrated and is not important when the AT decides whether to take you in or not or invite you to interview. Dedicating 2 hours every week to get better at exam technique instead of going off to do some volunteer work and then getting a better mark in the exam does pay off
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
-Start Econ related society
-Target 2.0
-Various essay competitions
-Apply to a few insight days for investment banking if you want an 'experience' portion
- Attend open lectures/taster courses
- And just wider reading tbh

Probably more but

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending