The Student Room Group

Year abroad.

What is it like studying a year abroad? I am debating whether or not I study a year abroad, somewhere not in Europe, as I want to have a good experience but I want opinions on what it is like, please.
Hey! I am actually planning on getting out of the uk to have my new degree abroad. My cousin, who is interning in korea, told me that the experience is fantastic! he was telling me stories on how he managed to cope up with the environment there. Imagine the culture and the beautiful people in a specific country. how you will learn their way of thinking. It is exciting, eh?
I really want to do a year abroad but its expensive :frown:
Original post by beththomas__
What is it like studying a year abroad? I am debating whether or not I study a year abroad, somewhere not in Europe, as I want to have a good experience but I want opinions on what it is like, please.

You will discover things you can't even imagine, including culture shock, particularly if you learn a language. It will test your assumptions about life and open new possibilities. I see no downside.

In 1978, I came to Europe from the US to learn German. It was the best thing I ever did. Though lonely and often offended by German cultural condescension, it opened my eyes to the world and I have now lived most of my adult life outside the US.

Hi!

Last year I studied abroad in California and it was absolutely incredible. You meet so many amazing people, you experience what it's like to live somewhere else, you can try new things, see different cultures. It's one of the most unique opportunities you'll ever get and definitely the best decision I made through university.

I've never talked to anyone who hasn't enjoyed studying abroad, but you still need to be sensible about it. Will you have enough money, does the country/university appeal to you, do you speak the language, and even small things like will you like the local food/cuisine can all affect you. As alcibiade said, many people experience culture shock, it's a pretty common thing but it's natural, you're living somewhere completely different so it just takes time to get used to it.

If you decide to study abroad, really look into it and pick a place you really want to visit, there are so many places to choose from. As for me, California offered it all: Great university, beautiful weather, amazing opportunities, lots of places to see and visit, lots to do outdoors, etc.

I've got quite a lot of experience about studying abroad, so please let me know if we can help in any way! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering
Original post by loveleest

That is true. But I guess if you really want something then you will do whatever it takes (Without the exception of the illegal stuff, lol). I, too, am planning abroad and financial matter is one of the hindrances for me to study abroad and start a new degree. But I seek help from my family and they are willing to help. Also, having a scholarship is a big a plus, btw
Original post by yourJeremyL
That is true. But I guess if you really want something then you will do whatever it takes (Without the exception of the illegal stuff, lol). I, too, am planning abroad and financial matter is one of the hindrances for me to study abroad and start a new degree. But I seek help from my family and they are willing to help. Also, having a scholarship is a big a plus, btw

How do you get a scholarship?
Reply 7
How do you get a scholarship?

Platforms like Diversity abroad are helpful on those aspects. Check them out if you can.
Reply 8
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi!

Last year I studied abroad in California and it was absolutely incredible. You meet so many amazing people, you experience what it's like to live somewhere else, you can try new things, see different cultures. It's one of the most unique opportunities you'll ever get and definitely the best decision I made through university.

I've never talked to anyone who hasn't enjoyed studying abroad, but you still need to be sensible about it. Will you have enough money, does the country/university appeal to you, do you speak the language, and even small things like will you like the local food/cuisine can all affect you. As alcibiade said, many people experience culture shock, it's a pretty common thing but it's natural, you're living somewhere completely different so it just takes time to get used to it.

If you decide to study abroad, really look into it and pick a place you really want to visit, there are so many places to choose from. As for me, California offered it all: Great university, beautiful weather, amazing opportunities, lots of places to see and visit, lots to do outdoors, etc.

I've got quite a lot of experience about studying abroad, so please let me know if we can help in any way! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep

That sounds amazing! It sounds like you had a really good time and that you got the experience you wanted from it too.
If I went, I would love to go to California. Most of my chosen universities allow me to go there but I am leaning towards going to Australia or New Zealand. Though, I have heard that they are both need a lot of money to live there
That sounds amazing! It sounds like you had a really good time and that you got the experience you wanted from it too.
If I went, I would love to go to California. Most of my chosen universities allow me to go there but I am leaning towards going to Australia or New Zealand. Though, I have heard that they are both need a lot of money to live there

Hey!

No matter where you go, you'll have a great time, those are all great options.

As for the money side of things, it'll fluctuate a lot, you can do it relatively cheap but you may have to miss a lot of things, so it's best to save up as much as possible. As soon as I got to university I was saving up for my year abroad so it meant I had a fair bit by the time I went away and so I was very comfortable.
Some universities, I know University of California does, shows finances they expect you to have over the year. I needed to show proof of about £13,000 in order to apply to UC, they're not necessarily expecting you to spend that much, but it should cover everything.

Again, let us know if we can help with anything. :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Reply 10

Depends where you go. At most Universities if you do an Erasmus year the tuition fees are cut to ~£2,000 for the year, you get a small grant and you are still entitled to your student loan. Not sure whether this will be possible in 2017 though if we pull out of the EU. Take a look into it if you're in the UK and interested in studying in Europe :smile:
Original post by reid5532
Platforms like Diversity abroad are helpful on those aspects. Check them out if you can.

Ah! of course. Thanks for reminding me!

I haven't been online for a while :P How is everyone?!
Lets keep this thread a live for those interested in studying abroad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending