The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anitax
Which one?

Karate
Reply 21
Original post by thecatwithnohat
That's exactly what I was explaining to someone the other day.

I'm 5'2 and a judoka, and in my classes I usually fight against women who are in most cases near my height and the same weight as me. This also applies to the competitions I enter, I always fight against women.. guys too if they're the same weight as me but that's very rare. But if I were to get man-handled by a guy, who will (99.9% of the time) be taller and heavier than me, where do my Judo skills come in? :zomg:

How long have u been training for? :smile: do you ever try to fight the guys and if so what happens
Sports based stuff is pretty much pointless in a self-defense context
Original post by anitax
What's cycling like?

Your legs will be a lot stronger if you do that often. Martial arts isn't pointless unless you are completely helpless, in a fight the person who knows how to punch and defend them self is the one who is going to win (not talking in context of just straight up fighting but in self defense) unless the person who is attacking you is a LOT stronger than you. Do an actual martial art, karate I didn't learn anything really to defend myself apart from blocks and how to punch properly in white belt and a lot of the stuff you learn you aren't going to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by RulesforRadicals
Sports based stuff is pretty much pointless in a self-defense context

do u do martial arts? which one
Reply 25
Original post by Vikingninja
Your legs will be a lot stronger if you do that often. Martial arts isn't pointless unless you are completely helpless, in a fight the person who knows how to punch and defend them self is the one who is going to win (not talking in context of just straight up fighting but in self defense) unless the person who is attacking you is a LOT stronger than you. Do an actual martial art, karate I didn't learn anything really to defend myself apart from blocks and how to punch properly in white belt.

As a woman most guys will be a lot stronger tho

have you done anything other than karate?
Reply 26
If you are really focused on being prepared for getting attacked then I don't think martial arts are the best thing and I say that as someone who loves tae kwon do.

First I think the best self defence in not getting into a dangerous situation. Second I think it's verbal de-escalation. Third I think it's running like your life depends on it. And fourth I think it's about physical defence.

For the physical aspect you will benefit from being able to throw a good punch but not really any more advanced martial art stuff, it's not like a film, I'd not be doing jumping reverse turning kicks and split kicks on the street. But the real important bit is how you respond in such a pressured situation, you'd probably be as scared as you've ever been in your life, you'd be shaking, your heart would be pounding, you'd not be thinking right.

I know a guy who does self defence training based upon getting people to respond to that stress, he's done it with lots of people who are black belts (even beyond first degree black belt) in various martial arts and under that pressure they're can't do relatively basic techniques. He films it because people often don't even remember how they responded because their brain is in super stress mode.

So to learn real self defence, you need to find the sort of self defence school/training that doesn't just teach you a few nice hold releases, but will create a stress situation too so you learn to be able to apply it in a realistic situation. You don't do that in martial arts classes and it's even rare in classes focused on self defence.
Original post by anitax
How long have u been training for? :smile: do you ever try to fight the guys and if so what happens

4 years.

I get paired with guys who are near-ish my height. Some I'm able to tackle straight up but some just overpower me and throw me everywhere like a ragged doll :rofl: seriously though, strength overpowers skills when it comes to different genders going up against one another.
Original post by anitax
As a woman most guys will be a lot stronger tho

have you done anything other than karate?

That's why you train. Really if you are active unless the person is more active than you are then they won't be that much stronger than you and you will know how to defend yourself. No I didn't, only other martial art nearest was judo which was an hour drive away. Stopped karate because I didn't like the instructor and quite frankly some of the stuff just seemed like it was for show.
Reply 29
4 years.

I get paired with guys who are near-ish my height. Some I'm able to tackle straight up but some just overpower me and throw me everywhere like a ragged doll :rofl: seriously though, strength overpowers skills when it comes to different genders going up against one another.

how tall r u if u dont mind me asking? :smile: ya ive started lifting weights but im never going 2 be as strong as a man lol
Reply 30
Original post by anitax
How big were they and you? What do u do? :smile:

Size doesn't really matter, although everyone was pretty much far bigger and older than me. This was pretty much when I was new. I did Karate for 5yrs, Muay Thai for 2yrs and Kickboxing for a year

LOOL :rofl: this made me chuckle. :colonhash:

Sexist :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Original post by BKS
If you are really focused on being prepared for getting attacked then I don't think martial arts are the best thing and I say that as someone who loves tae kwon do.

First I think the best self defence in not getting into a dangerous situation. Second I think it's verbal de-escalation. Third I think it's running like your life depends on it. And fourth I think it's about physical defence.

For the physical aspect you will benefit from being able to throw a good punch but not really any more advanced martial art stuff, it's not like a film, I'd not be doing jumping reverse turning kicks and split kicks on the street. But the real important bit is how you respond in such a pressured situation, you'd probably be as scared as you've ever been in your life, you'd be shaking, your heart would be pounding, you'd not be thinking right.

I know a guy who does self defence training based upon getting people to respond to that stress, he's done it with lots of people who are black belts (even beyond first degree black belt) in various martial arts and under that pressure they're can't do relatively basic techniques. He films it because people often don't even remember how they responded because their brain is in super stress mode.

So to learn real self defence, you need to find the sort of self defence school/training that doesn't just teach you a few nice hold releases, but will create a stress situation too so you learn to be able to apply it in a realistic situation. You don't do that in martial arts classes and it's even rare in classes focused on self defence.

Just curious but are these types of self defence classes common at uni's or people coming in?
Original post by anitax
do u do martial arts? which one

Have done, but not currently.

More than one in fact

Honestly, most Tae Kwon Do/Karate who people dance around like fags in their brown belts would get destroyed, even worse for a 60kg woman. Judo is decent for a guy tbh, but you really do need to be strong and teaching people that they can fight using technique rather than physical strength, is actually pretty damn irresponsible. The main limitation with Judo being that because it's a sport, you'll get paired with people of a similar weight, height, sex etc.

The best thing for a girl would be something really dirty like Krav Maga or Systema, but the quality control can be fairly ****ty in this country.
(edited 8 years ago)
That's exactly what I was explaining to someone the other day.

I'm 5'2 and a judoka, and in my classes I usually fight against women who are in most cases near my height and the same weight as me. This also applies to the competitions I enter, I always fight against women.. guys too if they're the same weight as me but that's very rare. But if I were to get man-handled by a guy, who will (99.9% of the time) be taller and heavier than me, where do my Judo skills come in? :zomg:

You'd probably get knocked the **** out! :/

No offense to your Judoka skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by RulesforRadicals
Have done, but not currently.

More than one in fact

Honestly, most Tae Kwon Do/Karate who people dance around like fags in their brown belts would get destroyed, even worse for a 60kg woman. Judo is decent for a guy tbh, but you really do need to be strong and teaching people that they can fight using technique rather than physical strength, is actually pretty damn irresponsible. The main limitation with Judo being that because it's a sport, you'll get paired with people of a similar weight, height, sex etc.

The best thing for a girl would be something really dirty like Krav Maga or Systema, but the quality control can be fairly ****ty in this country.

I think theres a krav maga place in leeds where I live. How do u tell if a place is good?
Original post by anitax
how tall r u if u dont mind me asking? :smile: ya ive started lifting weights but im never going 2 be as strong as a man lol

5 foot 2.

Original post by kkboyk

Sexist :unimpressed:

Spoiler

Stop making me laugh. :lol:
Reply 36
Original post by Ya Dunno
You'd probably get knocked out! :/

which martial arts do u do? are they good?
Reply 37
Original post by Vikingninja
Just curious but are these types of self defence classes common at uni's or people coming in?
No, most things taught as self defence are pretty useless but make people feel better.

Like they'll teach you how to get out of someone grabbing you or where best to strike, maybe a sweep take down. But like I said, useless if you are too busy panicing
Original post by Ya Dunno
You'd probably get knocked the **** out! :/

No offence taken :lol: I'm pretty light so anyone bigger and heavier can take advantage tbh
Original post by BKS
No, most things taught as self defence are pretty useless but make people feel better.

Like they'll teach you how to get out of someone grabbing you or where best to strike, maybe a sweep take down. But like I said, useless if you are too busy panicing

I meant these ones that have stress training.

Latest