The Student Room Group

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Poll

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Apparently an estimated 2/3 people support the Monarchy. I'd like to know your views.
:smile:

(Very pleased with all the responses! So interesting to read. I honestly didn't expect this turnout. TSR is the s**t!)
Appreciate it all. Thought-provoking stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would never support anything so seditious or downright traitorous.
No. Absolutely not.
Creating a presidency will just add more beuracracy and potential parliamentary deadlock (like the US), or worse, politicise the role of a relatively impartial head of government. But this may all change when the spider-scribbler ascends the throne.
No, leave poor old Lizzie alone.
there is no way of legitimising the existence of a monarchy regarding how a fair state should operate, so yes.
the idea that the monarchy creates tourism, too, is hugely weak.
Reply 6
Is it that time of the month already?

OP, wouldn't it have been easier to search for any one of the hundred or so other threads that have been done on this topic this year? Can guarantee you'll get the same answers.
Of course not, although there are legitimate issues over how much is too much wealth etc.
Reply 8
Can there be an 'I'm completely apathetic towards this issue' option?
Why on earth would we abolish the Monarchy?
Original post by Hans_301
Apparently an estimated 2/3 people support the Monarchy. I'd like to know your views.
:smile:

Economically they make sense. They bring the country a lot of money through the queens estate. But personally i do not really like them. Their accents annoy me, and how they think they can always be in the public eye and remain private and behind closed doors. One thing is for sure they ordered someone to take out Diane
Reply 11
No, of course not. We have a well-functioning constitution. Having a head of state above party politics and able to bring a lifetime of experience to bear on the functioning of government are good things.
When it comes to things like this I am rather conservative. We shouldn't seek change just so we can label ourselves progressive/modern/liberal. If a system works well and is long standing, why change it. The idea of a monarch works within our general values of Liberty.

In short i support the monarchy.
Nah, I quite like the money they give us, a few quid per person less tax is nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to see the Monarchy expelled from the Government, but kept as a cultural interest.

I would like to see an end to their benefits as well.
Reply 15
Original post by Jammy Duel
Nah, I quite like the money they give us, a few quid per person less tax is nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I don't like the money we put into them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

But the majority do, so you're bound by them.
(edited 8 years ago)
They don't hold any real power anymore, so what would be the point?
Reply 18
Original post by mangala
yeah **** the royal family, elitist pedo benefit scroungers

Please provide evidence for you claims
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the 50p per capita they take out is clearly so dreadful when they put in £4 per capita, and upon abolition and the incorporation of the royal estate that dropping down to about 50p it is so much better, oh, and that's without a large portion of the 50p per capita expenditure on the head of state going away. Congrats on costing the taxpayer 3 or 4 quid each :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest