The Student Room Group

how to write an A grade lab report

hello,

I'm in the middle of writing a lab report on a practical about gel electrophoresis, and I can tell it is not very good. it is worth 20% of my module and I did not get a good grade on the coursework before. I am really trying hard to make sure this one is better so I can boost my grade.

Can anyone give me some tips on writing a really good lab report, what things should I include? Other than introduction, methods, results and discussion. is there anything in particular that should be included within those? it needs to be 1000 words.

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Google it :smile:
You could also include an abstract :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ApidIla
hello,

I'm in the middle of writing a lab report on a practical about gel electrophoresis, and I can tell it is not very good. it is worth 20% of my module and I did not get a good grade on the coursework before. I am really trying hard to make sure this one is better so I can boost my grade.

Can anyone give me some tips on writing a really good lab report, what things should I include? Other than introduction, methods, results and discussion. is there anything in particular that should be included within those? it needs to be 1000 words.

Thank you

Note: Check your module handbook to know what the essay learning outcomes are about - it will contain what they would like the essay to cover.

1) Introduction: What is gel electrophoresis? How is it relevant in biology?Also, state the aim of the essay.
Try to link different authors in a paragraph. Use extensive references e.g journals, textbooks etc (use the ones recommended by your University AND your own research - Follow your University's style of referencing- can't say this enough- most marks are lost in referencing).

2) For the methods, write in your own words. Don't use references. They want to know how YOU did it, not some textbooks, journals etc.

3) For the results, research on why the results are important. Use journals and textbooks cutations here. Try to compare and contrast your results with the aforementioned citations. Also, give different methods of using gel electrophoresis e.g. PCR.

4) In the discussion, state current studies on gel electrophoresis. E.g. Recent studies (Beck, 2015) have shown that using PCR instead of gel electrophoresis is........ THEN summarise the essay.

Hope I helped. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ApidIla
hello,

Thank you

capital letters help
Original post by Alexion
capital letters help

Don't forget those full stops either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont forget to write a conclusion and and Evaluation (What made your results valid/not valid. what could make them valid) what would you do next time for the experiment, what would you change/leave the same
The most effective way to write good writing lab reports is by reading published research and learn to emulate the structure and succinct style.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending