The Student Room Group

I've met a few extremists on TSR. Have you?

^^

I don't want this OP deleted so I'll avoid naming names for now.

Scroll to see replies

Define extremist.

It's a subjective term, and entirely orientated around perception.

I've met a lot of people on TSR who like dicking around with the confines of what many would class as 'socially acceptable behaviour.' That doesn't make them extremists, it means they challenge people - and we need a lot more of that in society.

In fact, I'm more inclined to believe that the people who set standards for socially acceptable behaviour - the perpetually politically correct - are far more extremist than most, to the point of being misanthropic and totalitarian.
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't...how do you know they're extremists?
W.W.
Yep, hard to believe that you'll find people on here who support the killing of apostates and homosexuals for example. And many of these have been born and raised in the UK..
Well I am extreme ... ly excellent, if that counts :u:
Vote for Enoch Powell
The internet shows people's hidden side.
Reply 8
yeah it's quite disgusting
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yep, hard to believe that you'll find people on here who support the killing of apostates and homosexuals for example. And many of these have been born and raised in the UK..

How on Earth are TSR allowing them to roam free on this forum?
I didn't know TSR had threads with tips on how to make explosive at home.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Define extremist.

It's a subjective term, and entirely orientated around perception.

I was going to originally say in the title "I've met a few who I would deem as extremists on TSR. Have you?" But I thought the one I currently have was more response-provoking, so I used it despite it implying that I'm not aware that it's a tad-subjective issue.

Original post by chantalc
I haven't...how do you know they're extremists?

To @TheCitizenAct & @chantalc, I was going by what the majority would consider extremism in this / UK society, since we presumably all live in the UK. An extremist is one who holds what people would generally consider extreme / antagonistic political / religious views / views about issues in society, going against the general consensus in this context.

@chantalc I've debated with them, and believe they're genuine about what they are saying (judging their character and posts, in part from experience.)
(edited 8 years ago)
I know some of the spelling is atrocious
Original post by RulesforRadicals
TSR doesn't have a strong enough policy on banning hateful opinions.

It's tough on spammers and people who post sexual jokes (:colondollar:) but if you say women should under certain circumstances be stoned to death, provided you saying it in a relevant context the CT's don't care. This place is like Stormfront sometimes.

Reminds me of universities in London.
I see thread titles but I don't bother clicking on them. I have 0 interest in politics/religion/philosophy. :erm:
Original post by XcitingStuart

@chantalc I've debated with them, and believe they're genuine about what they are saying .

tbh, you're probably true. its a well known fact there are extremists in the UK and theres no stopping them from posting **** on the internet...did you report them?
If I were running MI5 there are about 10 users I would have flagged up as a security risk

Yeah, coz the head of MI5 definitely spends all their time on TSR ...

Spoiler

Original post by XcitingStuart

To @TheCitizenAct & @chantalc, I was going by what the majority would consider extremism in this / UK society, since we presumably all live in the UK. An extremist is one who holds what people would generally consider extreme / antagonistic political / religious views / views about issues in society, going against the general consensus in this context.

Which, in another context, would euphemistically be referred to as 'minority rights.' One man's extremist is another man's diplomat.

It's all contextual. I've just spent 4 pages being the lone voice in opposition to women's right to vote - I did this to highlight what I deem to be a very important parallel issue: whether women should be deemed individuals, or a collective group, in a political context. Most people don't understand the nuance of the topic - to communicate it, I often have to take an extreme position in live debates, blog posts or even on an internet forum.

To some this makes me extreme, to others this makes me an advocate of common sense (though, these people probably perceive I would actually choose to disenfranchise women). I make points I don't believe in all the time, simply to accentuate a point I want the reader, or listener, to arrive at.

Actions (or incitement), rather than words, are probably more indicative of extremism. Words (particularly as shared amongst the chattering classes) are very rarely purposeful and are often used to manipulate, twist, deceive, guilt, shame, cajole and further the interests of the few, or a particular group.
Actions, however, are far more likely to have an effect.
Original post by Raymat
How on Earth are TSR allowing them to roam free on this forum?

To be fair, they do their best to stop them.

Our resident anti semetic posts under various user names.

Our resident holocaust denier, 'cycle of spin' has been banned but will often create new user names to deny the holocaust ever happened.

They're actually quite easy to spot.

New user name + outlandish/extremist views = nutter.

I'd go as far to say that the 9/11 conspiracy retards fall into the extremist category.
I just assumed that they would always be tracing the IP of people who promote extreme hatred

Like NSA or PRISM, so they can crack the next terror attack

There's still people out there who don't understand that you can quite easily be traced on the Internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending