The Student Room Group

Do I need too do two science A levels for Psychology?

I have spoke too my careers advisor and some unis do require two science A levels. Currently, I'm retaking Maths and Science. I got a D in Science, but Chemistry is my strongest science subject. I hate Biology and Physics. I got a C in Physics, but I got D's in Chemistry and Biology. Would Sociology A level, English Literature, Psychology and History be a good combination? Or would you recommend me doing a Chemistry A level instead off History? I'm considering going into Law or Psychology. I enjoy Chemistry at GCSE level, but many say that Chemistry A level is hard.
check university websites and look at their Psychology course to see what they require
Reply 2
Original post by _aisharx
I have spoke too my careers advisor and some unis do require two science A levels. Currently, I'm retaking Maths and Science. I got a D in Science, but Chemistry is my strongest science subject. I hate Biology and Physics. I got a C in Physics, but I got D's in Chemistry and Biology. Would Sociology A level, English Literature, Psychology and History be a good combination? Or would you recommend me doing a Chemistry A level instead off History? I'm considering going into Law or Psychology. I enjoy Chemistry at GCSE level, but many say that Chemistry A level is hard.

I wouldn't expect you to need two sciences for Psychology.
Two of my friends have been given offers to all the universities they applied to, for Psychology. One of them does Biology alongside Psychology, whist the other only does Psychology but no other science based subject. Obviously it should be in the requirements of the university, so I'd recommend researching those thoroughly, for the universities you may wish to go to. However what you are planning to do, should be fine to do Psychology :smile:.
I have Psychology offers and at A2 I do Psychology, Politics and English Literature, i haven't done any other sciences since GCSE
Two science A-Levels including maths may be preferred by some of the top universities. I'm hopefully going to Newcastle and they "prefer" two science A-levels (university speak for it's pretty much compulsory). However, it is better to do well in subjects you enjoy than do badly in subjects you take just for the sake of studying psychology.

Conventionally, the "best" A-Levels to study specifically for preparation for a psychology degree are biology, psychology and statistics.

If you are happy taking two sciences, I would do it. However, as I previously mentioned don't do it because you feel you need to, it probably won't go to plan as you need to be committed to your subjects to do well!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply