The Student Room Group

How to invest £3,000 ?

Im 17 and going to uni next year. I made most of my money selling things mostly on eBay and frauds, but cant do this anymore.

Is there any suggestions on how to invest this sum? Perhaps i could sell screen protectors and cases at high volume low price etc on eBay? What can i do that can return about £1000/month profit? I know this seems alot but just wondering

So just want to invest a portion of my money
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rftra
Im 17 and going to uni next year. I made most of my money selling things mostly on eBay and frauds, but cant do this anymore.

Is there any suggestions on how to invest this sum? Perhaps i could sell screen protectors and cases at high volume low price etc on eBay? What can i do that can return about £1000/month profit? I know this seems alot but just wondering

Invest in a crash helmet and handgun and go rob banks. That's the only way you'll come close to getting a grand a month from £3k.
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
Invest in a crash helmet and handgun and go rob banks. That's the only way you'll come close to getting a grand a month from £3k.

How much could i be making by selling small value item on eBay but at large volumes?
Original post by Rftra
How much could i be making by selling small value item on eBay but at large volumes?

Why do you think you could make any money when you're competing against established businesses and Chinese imports?
Business studies students be like
Reply 5
Original post by Rftra

So just want to invest a portion of my money

Work 30h a week in a real job? That should do it. You can't invest £3000 and expect a third of that back every month :lol:

People'd be lucky to start earning that much off a £20000 investment in stock.
Reply 6
buy BiC pens made before 1979 (there's a way of sort of carbon-dating the ink the pen to get an accurate date) theyre a real collectors item
Original post by Rftra

Firstly ,manage expectations. If you want to earn that sort of money from such a little investment, it's going to be very high risk. (or everyone would be doing it. There's no real way to 'get rich quick', which I assume is your mindset, because once again, everyone would do it.)

If I was you, i'd put it into a stocks and shares ISA, where you can get a return of UP TO 10%. It's got a bit of risk, but a lot less than other potential options. That's obviously a very passive way, so the return would be less.

If you want to actively make the money yourself per se, you could say:
Start a small business. (Like you suggested, buying n selling ****. You need to find a niche for this, and people aren't going to spoonfeed it to you. If you get told 'a good idea', the chances are it has already been done.

Or if you're doing a monetary related course, such as economics or finance at Uni, i'd recommend day-trading. You can open an account with Plus500 for as little money as £100. Learn what to do. You could easily double your investment in one day. (Equally you can easily loose it. That's where risk management comes into play. Look it up if you're interested.)

But honestly, because you're essentially asking what to do, the chances are you're too emotionally attached to the money, and you're almost certainly going to loose it with higher risk strategies. Do something safe, and expect small returns. Compound the savings over the next 30 years, and you can retire a millionaire without doing anything special. Sounds great, right?
Reply 8
If you'd asked this a few months ago, I'd have told you to short Chinese stocks...
Reply 9
you will never make 1k a month from a 3k investment unless you get really, really, really lucky and score with one investment
Reply 10
Original post by Duncan2012
Why do you think you could make any money when you're competing against established businesses and Chinese imports?

Original post by Alexion
Work 30h a week in a real job? That should do it. You can't invest £3000 and expect a third of that back every month :lol:

People'd be lucky to start earning that much off a £20000 investment in stock.

Original post by mangala
you will never make 1k a month from a 3k investment unless you get really, really, really lucky and score with one investment

What about car boot buying & selling ? I hear people making big money from it ?
Drugs
Reply 12
Original post by Rftra
What about car boot buying & selling ? I hear people making big money from it ?

sure, but you gotta know what you're dealing with. you need to have years of experience with whatever it is you're buying, so you know you can flip it for a profit.

+bear in mind the expenses of travelling to car boot sales
Reply 13
Original post by Prince_fancybum
Drugs

not actually a bad shout to be fair, plenty of market for weed at university. with the dark web, too, you can make pretty good margins if youre okay with the risks that come with it
Reply 14
Original post by mangala
not actually a bad shout to be fair, plenty of market for weed at university. with the dark web, too, you can make pretty good margins if youre okay with the risks that come with it

No
Original post by Rftra
No

Well it's the only way you're going to get the return you want.

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
to be honest don't even bother with ebay, your stock will have to come from china and will cost as much as customers are willing to buy it for so you'll be earning no profit on it (plus hundreds of other businesses will be undercutting you) then you've got ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping fees on top of that and youll have to budget for lost items in the post (trust me a lot of people claim they never get things, I used to sell a few unwanted things on the side and I ended up with around 5-10% missing items)
maybe if you move correctly then the scrap gold game has potential but you'd have to push and deal in 20t.oz in a month to hit that boundary so you would have to buy about 5 oz of 18ct scrap every week at £14/£15 a gram to buy and about £17 to sell
Put some in shares . Just made some money today on one of my shares. The markets were high today. Yipee. :smile: Feeling happy, spend it on a christmas treat for myself.
Reply 19
Original post by Simonthegreat
Put some in shares . Just made some money today on one of my shares. The markets were high today. Yipee. :smile: Feeling happy, spend it on a christmas treat for myself.

How much did you make?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending