The Student Room Group

I can't afford a laptop

I'm an undergraduate student studying economics and managment. I can't afford a laptop and my student loan just about covers my accomodation, food, books and travel. I've been having to go to the library to do my coursework but I don't feel safe in my area coming home after dark due to some experiences I've had so far. Any advice???? Is there any company that lets students take out laptops and pay monthly? Any help would be great rn. I am looking for a job also but it's difficult finding one that fits around my hours at studies as I have a busy schedule. I have important exams in Jan so really need one asap

Scroll to see replies

Overdraft? parents? Your uni may have a hardship fund. However, I don't know if they'd cover something like this.
You could purchase a laptop and pay monthly installments that suit you. To do this, you would need to agree to a payment plan with the provider you want to get a laptop from. BTW, you are eligible for a student rate if you do this.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Overdraft? parents? Your uni may have a hardship fund. However, I don't know if they'd cover something like this.
a deposit is needed for an overdraft? Which I don't have and also don't get support from parents and I don't think my uni has one, but thankyou
Reply 4
Original post by Bigbosshead
You could purchase a laptop and pay monthly installments that suit you. To do this, you would need to agree to a payment plan with the provider you want to get a laptop from. BTW, you are eligible for a student rate if you do this.
any specific companies that do this? And most likely to accept a student with hardly any credit history?
Purchase a Windows Tablet, they do everything Laptops do, are a lot cheaper, far more portable and you can get a typecover very cheaply if you fancy typing instead of touchscreen. Wish I'd done that tbh
Reply 6
Original post by somemightsay888
Purchase a Windows Tablet, they do everything Laptops do, are a lot cheaper, far more portable and you can get a typecover very cheaply if you fancy typing instead of touchscreen. Wish I'd done that tbh
how much are they? I don't think I can afford anything atm, I have £50 left for the rest of this semester. Hence why I was thinking of a cheap monthly plan
do you really need books? would be easier to borrow those from the library than be constantly there on computers

you can get a really cheap laptop for £150, wouldn't be fantastic but would get the job done... could you ask for one for xmas or use your overdraft?
Reply 8
Original post by doodle_333
do you really need books? would be easier to borrow those from the library than be constantly there on computers

you can get a really cheap laptop for £150, wouldn't be fantastic but would get the job done... could you ask for one for xmas or use your overdraft?
they've seemed to be helpful so far, I was abit too late, most were taken out from the library. And I don't celebrate xmas + I've been told a deposit was needed for an overdraft which I don't have, thankyou for the suggestions
Original post by ARR1234x
how much are they? I don't think I can afford anything atm, I have £50 left for the rest of this semester. Hence why I was thinking of a cheap monthly plan

Here's one currently on sale for 59.99, it's pretty good, will do everything you'll want of it :smile:

How much do you think you'll have in total to spend with next semesters money?
Reply 11
Original post by somemightsay888
Here's one currently on sale for 59.99, it's pretty good, will do everything you'll want of it :smile:

How much do you think you'll have in total to spend with next semesters money?
thanks I'll check it out, I'll probably have around 300 left but that most of that will cover groceries and travel for the whole semester
Reply 12
thankyou, I'll check it out
they've seemed to be helpful so far, I was abit too late, most were taken out from the library. And I don't celebrate xmas + I've been told a deposit was needed for an overdraft which I don't have, thankyou for the suggestions

If you are English, there are bank accounts specifically designed for university students and they give an overdraft, because they know the students will get their maintenance loan paid into it later on.
Have you looked at specific student accounts?

For non-UK students there is no overdraft facility.
When was the last time you ate lunch? When was the last time you ate chocolate or drank alcohol? You need to prioritise your spending if you want a laptop.
Reply 15
Original post by Miss_mischy
If you are English, there are bank accounts specifically designed for university students and they give an overdraft, because they know the students will get their maintenance loan paid into it later on.
Have you looked at specific student accounts?

For non-UK students there is no overdraft facility.

Yeah I've checked them out, the good ones need a deposit which I don't have
Reply 16
Original post by Madeline_H95
When was the last time you ate lunch? When was the last time you ate chocolate or drank alcohol? You need to prioritise your spending if you want a laptop.
I don't party, drink or any of that. I don't spend my money on anything I don't actually need, I organise my money pretty well. My loan isn't that much majority of it is gone on my accomodation
I don't party, drink or any of that. I don't spend my money on anything I don't actually need, I organise my money pretty well. My loan isn't that much majority of it is gone on my accomodation

I would recommend your parents, going to a university hardship fund and finding a job.
Reply 18
Yeah I've checked them out, the good ones need a deposit which I don't have

What bank account does your student loan go into? Will your current bank not offer an overdraft?

If not, many student accounts just want a guarantee that the loan will be deposited into that account. For example, the Barclays student account, which gives you an initial £500 overdraft which would be plenty for a laptop. It's not dependent on making an initial deposit apart from the student loan as far as I can see:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Otheraccounts/Studentaccounts/StudentAdditionsAccount/P1242557963772
Reply 19
Original post by Klix88
What bank account does your student loan go into? Will your current bank not offer an overdraft?

If not, many student accounts just want a guarantee that the loan will be deposited into that account. For example, the Barclays student account, which gives you an initial £500 overdraft which would be plenty for a laptop. It's not dependent on making an initial deposit apart from the student loan as far as I can see:

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Otheraccounts/Studentaccounts/StudentAdditionsAccount/P1242557963772
barclays and oh I thought Barclays give £200 as an initial overdraft? Thanks so much for this. Helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending