The Student Room Group

I'M HAVE TO HAVE AN OPERATION! Im scared...

Hi guy,
So VERY soon I'll be having a dental operation. A bit of back ground: I have VERY crowded teeth and the reason for this is because my mouth is smaller than an average persons, so the teeth dont have a lot of space. I really need and want braces because my teeth are my biggest insecurity. However, in order to do so I need to get some teeth extracted.
HOWEVER, this is not some normal teeth extractions. I need to get two impacted canines removed, so adult canines that are still in my gums. This involves cutting the gums and then removing the teeth. I have been watching Youtube videos on my procedue and they look horrendous- one such example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2_-Uw_YQo A warning it is gross!!

I will be under IV sedation, which is also worrying me. Im just so scared- and my question is if you were in my position with seriously horrible teeth and the only way to get them sorted is having this op would you get it done?
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't worry about it. Googling is just going to give you worst-case scenarios and scare you.

When I was about 16 I had 2 adult teeth removed under general anesthetic due, like you, to overcrowding. It was fine. A bit sore after but nothing to worry about. Last year I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed so that involved cutting open the gum. I also had IV sedation - you'll be conscious enough to respond to instructions but you shouldn't remember any of it. Eat soft/liquid foods for a few days after and maybe some mild painkillers.
Original post by Sabertooth
Don't worry about it. Googling is just going to give you worst-case scenarios and scare you.

When I was about 16 I had 2 adult teeth removed under general anesthetic due, like you, to overcrowding. It was fine. A bit sore after but nothing to worry about. Last year I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed so that involved cutting open the gum. I also had IV sedation - you'll be conscious enough to respond to instructions but you shouldn't remember any of it. Eat soft/liquid foods for a few days after and maybe some mild painkillers.

Tanx for the support :smile: I did want it under general but my dentist thought it was unnecessary. How was IV sedation for you? My worry is although I wont remember it after that doesnt mean its not going to be complete agony during the op :/
Original post by Bubblybabybling
Tanx for the support :smile: I did want it under general but my dentist thought it was unnecessary. How was IV sedation for you? My worry is although I wont remember it after that doesnt mean its not going to be complete agony during the op :/

They do this every day.
Chill and let them do your job.
You'll be fine and have a long happy life with a beautiful smile :biggrin:
Original post by dancing sloth
They do this every day.
Chill and let them do your job.
You'll be fine and have a long happy life with a beautiful smile :biggrin:

I hope so, I just need to man up now :/

Thank You for the reply :smile:

It probably would be agony but you won't remember it. I know that sounds odd but for me I remember the nurse injecting the stuff then I regained consciousness in another room minus 4 teeth and remembering nothing in between. :tongue:
"cutting open the gum"

Sounds lovely, dont know why you are brickin it.
Honestly don't worry! They inject you with so much anaesthesia that if anything you feel high
I've had 9 teeth (4 under general and 5 under local) out. General is much worse imo. You can't eat for hours beforehand and you feel groggy for a few hours after. Local was a bit horrible too - partly because of the issues with speech and dribbling.
It's a routine procedure that you have had elected to have done. It's not an emergency. It's not life-threatening. So just get on with it, and after a short recuperation, enjoy the results.

They'll use local anaesthetic as well as the sedation, so it shouldn't hurt at the time either - it might feel very weird and sound strange, but it shouldn't be painful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending