The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to be topless in public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Yeah, women have boobs, but why does that make a difference. Boobs aren't a sex organ like the penis or vagina.

Women can orgasm from stimulation of nipples :fyi:
Original post by Hydeman
This is like the second time in a week. :wink:

We're discussing whether it should be legal though -- nobody would be compelled to go to the beach topless...

I think it's been more than 2 times Hyde, you've got to stop this. :indiff:

If it were legal, I wouldn't be surprised if reports of sexual assault and and rape etc etc shot up. Going to the beach topless is just you asking to be approached in a sexual manner - sad, but true.
Original post by sleepysnooze
who cares if it's "savage" (in your culturally-bound opinion)? who does it harm or violate the freedom of? why is it bad to simply see someone naked? if they're ugly naked, people are still ugly from just their faces showing - should we police the legality of ugly faces being unveiled too? if the offence of the situation of nudity is enough to bring the bloody government into it, should we ban "offensive" speech too?

I was joking. In my opinion any place that toplessness is allowed it should be allowed for women.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Going to the beach topless is just you asking to be approached in a sexual manner - sad, but true.

But it just isn't, though... :/
Original post by IFoundWonderland

I'm jealous of those women. :colonhash: Such privilege :cry2:

OP I wouldn't want to show the world my boobs, but if other women want to, I don't see no reason why they cannot.
Original post by JoshDawg
Nudity should be confined to one place because not everyone wants to see naked people in public!

not everybody wants to hear about my views regarding religion and politics either - should my views be confined to a particular geography too in this case? why not? what makes you say this for that case, but something else for another? culture? culture isn't a logical argument

This can also dip into children being exposed to sexual things early on in life, when at that point in their lives they don't need to be worrying about things like this and should focus on enjoying being a child.

who cares? children don't have a special entitlement to force people to put clothes on. if they have a right to this, then why don't they have a right to stop our internet liberty? or free speech liberty? if a kid sees somebody naked, what do you think will happen? will they get physically harmed from it? will it damage them? I saw naked people as a child and precisely nothing happened to me. I also saw 18 rated movies when I was very young - guess what happened? (nothing) - and I'm no special case - all my friends were the same.

I'm sorry if you feel sooooo oppressed that you can't walk around naked.

...how is this a logical point being made, though? I accept your apology but your offence isn't a rational reason to have something banned, that's all! surely you realise the paper-thin nature of the claim of offence against liberty?
Original post by realatheist
ugh shut up how is showing boob mean you have no dignity.You mad because you don't have any.

Don't need to be jealous because you don't have any. Maybe you should grow a pair. :huff:

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
So those that want to make use of the new rule do, and those that don't want to do not.

What's the problem?

Nothing really. But does it really have to be put into place if they already have the option to go full nude if they wanted to by law.(Nude beaches)

It's not though. :frown: The only other time I can remember is the Cardiff applicants' thread...

If it were legal, I wouldn't be surprised if reports of sexual assault and and rape etc etc shot up. Going to the beach topless is just you asking to be approached in a sexual manner - sad, but true.

I'm talking about the principle though. What's wrong with legalising public nudity in principle? We can talk all day about the potential consequences but, truth be told, all of these are predicated on assumptions (e.g. the whole country would go running to a beach with their tits out in all their glory at the stroke of midnight as the law takes effect).

Also, careful -- don't wanna upset the rape activists. :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by IFoundWonderland

Some men can as well.
Reply 49
Original post by Trapz99
Men are often topless on beaches and parks in the summer, but women aren't and if they are it is very controversial.

(By topless I mean fully uncovered from the waist up, so no bra or anything).

Yes but still this is so Zzzzz
Original post by drowzee
I'm jealous of those women. :colonhash: Such privilege :cry2:

OP I wouldn't want to show the world my boobs, but if other women want to, I don't see no reason why they cannot.

:undefined:innocent

Original post by Trapz99
Some men can as well.

I did not know this. Therefore male nipples can also be considered sexual organs :smile:

:facepalm:
I'm sorry, I usually like your posts, but this is just idiotic. No one is "asking to be approached in a sexual manner"; showing your breasts should not warrant a disrespectful man being a complete creep.
Original post by sleepysnooze
not everybody wants to hear about my views regarding religion and politics either - should my views be confined to a particular geography too in this case? why not? what makes you say this for that case, but something else for another? culture? culture isn't a logical argument

who cares? children don't have a special entitlement to force people to put clothes on. if they have a right to this, then why don't they have a right to stop our internet liberty? or free speech liberty? if a kid sees somebody naked, what do you think will happen? will they get physically harmed from it? will it damage them? I saw naked people as a child and precisely nothing happened to me. I also saw 18 rated movies when I was very young - guess what happened? (nothing) - and I'm no special case - all my friends were the same.

...how is this a logical point being made, though? I accept your apology but your offence isn't a rational reason to have something banned, that's all! surely you realise the paper-thin nature of the claim of offence against liberty?

Judging from your response I think something is wrong with you, and if you want to suggest it was looking at 18 rated movies then hey ho there we go.

1. You just made up a point that you think I made, and argued against it, therefore you're just arguing against yourself.

2. This is about respecting other people. You can spout off all you like just trying to be different about your political and cultural views which I'm positive are controversial (good for you, you go be different you special snowflake). I don't believe in Islam, but I don't go around offending all of them.

3. Nudity is different to free speech by the way.

4. Adult scenes DO affect children. They should be focused on having a happy and healthy childhood, not about sex.
Reply 53
Original post by JoshDawg
Judging from your response I think something is wrong with you, and if you want to suggest it was looking at 18 rated movies then hey ho there we go.

1. You just made up a point that you think I made, and argued against it, therefore you're just arguing against yourself.

2. This is about respecting other people. You can spout off all you like just trying to be different about your political and cultural views which I'm positive are controversial (good for you, you go be different you special snowflake). I don't believe in Islam, but I don't go around offending all of them.

3. Nudity is different to free speech by the way.

4. Adult scenes DO affect children. They should be focused on having a happy and healthy childhood, not about sex.

If children grew up knowing that boobs aren't anything sexual, then they would be fine with it.
Original post by aamirac
Don't need to be jealous because you don't have any. Maybe you should grow a pair. :huff:

Nothing really. But does it really have to be put into place if they already have the option to go full nude if they wanted to by law.(Nude beaches)

Am a guy but my boobs are probably still bigger than yours. :^_^:

omg how embarrassing for you. :redface:
OP, the type of girls that would be prepared to go topless because of equality are not the type you want to see topless lol
Original post by Trapz99
If children grew up knowing that boobs aren't anything sexual, then they would be fine with it.

Problem is that won't happen. Everyone in the country won't just stop and say "boobs are no longer sexual, to stop flaunting them off". The sexuality is what makes people attractive, like dresses having curves in those areas to flaunt them off.

There will then also be pandemonium among plastic surgeons, with women no longer going to get breast enlargements.

I'm just spouting out stuff right now.
Original post by drowzee
:facepalm:
I'm sorry, I usually like your posts, but this is just idiotic. No one is "asking to be approached in a sexual manner"; showing your breasts should not warrant a disrespectful man being a complete creep.

I say this from the perspective of men who would go about this with bad intentions.
Original post by realatheist
Am a guy but my boobs are probably still bigger than yours. :^_^:

omg how embarrassing for you. :redface:

You are to never know. :lol:
IMO just let women under 30 and who average 8/10 go topless. The rest can keep their tops on for the good of society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending