The Student Room Group

Access Course Initial Assessment Tests

I'm applying for an Access course in Humanities (English, History, Sociology) and I'm very anxious about the Initial tests that they give you in English, Maths, and Comprehension. I achieved a C grade in Maths at GCSE and at least a C grade, possible a B grade in English at GCSE.
I'm not too worried about the English test but with the Maths test I am extremely worried because my mental maths and generally my interaction with numbers is truly awful.
I can barely remember any of the techniques to work things out for fractions, percentages, and even multiplication of larger numbers, nevermind actually being able to to the mental maths behind them. I possibly have some sort of Dyscalulia, I'm that bad at it.
I've been trying to improve it over various websites online but it's still incredibly hard and daunting for me.
It's also bizarre that I'd have to complete this test considering I have a C grade in maths, they're essentially undermining the whole education system by ignoring my grade in maths, right?

I was just curious if anyone had any tips for me, or if it's possible to avoid the test since I already have a GCSE in maths?
Original post by adhnn36
I'm applying for an Access course in Humanities (English, History, Sociology) and I'm very anxious about the Initial tests that they give you in English, Maths, and Comprehension. I achieved a C grade in Maths at GCSE and at least a C grade, possible a B grade in English at GCSE.
I'm not too worried about the English test but with the Maths test I am extremely worried because my mental maths and generally my interaction with numbers is truly awful.
I can barely remember any of the techniques to work things out for fractions, percentages, and even multiplication of larger numbers, nevermind actually being able to to the mental maths behind them. I possibly have some sort of Dyscalulia, I'm that bad at it.
I've been trying to improve it over various websites online but it's still incredibly hard and daunting for me.
It's also bizarre that I'd have to complete this test considering I have a C grade in maths, they're essentially undermining the whole education system by ignoring my grade in maths, right?

I was just curious if anyone had any tips for me, or if it's possible to avoid the test since I already have a GCSE in maths?

No they aren't at all. You can usually use paper to work it out during the test, or use BBC Bitesize to brush up beforehand. The point is to make sure you have the skills to complete the course adequately AND to ensure you get the help you need (if you need it) when you start.

I didn't do Access but did have to do one of these at my college with some Access students and people from other courses. I have A's and B's at GCSE for these subjects and scored really highly in the test and off I went no help needed. But others who didn't score so well were then offered extra help with either maths/English skills or had further assessments for dyslexia etc to see what extra help they could be given to complete the course.

Don't stress. If you got a C it'll be fine.
Reply 2
I didn't pass mine. It was put down to the fact that I hadn't been in education for 15 years and let me in anyway. We have since retaken them and I got what I needed. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending