The Student Room Group

physics a level without maths?

so the time's come to start applying to sixth form and I'm planning on taking history, english lit and classics (and hopefully to do history at uni later on). for my fourth a level, I'd like to do physics because it's always interested me and I thought I might benefit from having a science subject at a level, esecially to balance out all the essay based ones I'm doing.

HOWEVER!!! everyone else in my year who's applying for physics seems to be doing maths (and many further maths) as well. so I was wondering from people doing physics currently at a level, how essential is maths to the course?? will I be able to get through with just my gcse maths or should I completely reconsider physics? I've heard some horror stories about the difficulty leap in physics from gcse to a level, how accurate are these tales? thanks :smile:
Original post by a.nnie
so the time's come to start applying to sixth form and I'm planning on taking history, english lit and classics (and hopefully to do history at uni later on). for my fourth a level, I'd like to do physics because it's always interested me and I thought I might benefit from having a science subject at a level, esecially to balance out all the essay based ones I'm doing.

HOWEVER!!! everyone else in my year who's applying for physics seems to be doing maths (and many further maths) as well. so I was wondering from people doing physics currently at a level, how essential is maths to the course?? will I be able to get through with just my gcse maths or should I completely reconsider physics? I've heard some horror stories about the difficulty leap in physics from gcse to a level, how accurate are these tales? thanks :smile:

Physics is difficult at A Level but the maths in it isn't exactly challenging for someone who did well at GCSE. Although the overlap does help in terms of workload (e.g. the stuff you learn in mechanics will almost certainly apply equation-for-equation to physics modules on forces, motion and so on.).

Personally, I'd advise that you take maths. And no, further maths isn't necessary.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a.nnie

Physics without Maths is like trying communicate without a language. Perhaps possible but extremely hard.
Reply 3
zetamcfc is pretty spot on...

Maths gives you the language you need to communicate in Physics. There's a lot of interpreting trends, Graphs and Formula and it's a skill that takes a while to learn... even longer if you only see these things in class like 4 hours a week.

Honestly I think Physics has a pretty steep learning curve and it's easily the hardest subject I do, but if you put in the work I suppose you could do it... You'd just be making life hard for yourself tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
Physics is difficult at A Level but the maths in it isn't exactly challenging for someone who did well at GCSE. Although the overlap does help in terms of workload (e.g. the stuff you learn in mechanics will almost certainly apply equation-for-equation to physics modules on forces, motion and so on.).

Personally, I'd advise that you take maths. And no, further maths isn't necessary.

ah thank you, this helps quite a lot. I'm definitely not bad at maths, but it doesn't appeal to me much as a subject. however, I'll definitely consider it if it'll help me out significantly with my physics :smile:
Reply 5
I wanted to do this but had to do maths aswell at certain colleges but its very hard and pzrobably more complicated than maths....if thts possible..lol
Reply 6
Original post by Dolphins
zetamcfc is pretty spot on...

Maths gives you the language you need to communicate in Physics. There's a lot of interpreting trends, Graphs and Formula and it's a skill that takes a while to learn... even longer if you only see these things in class like 4 hours a week.

Honestly I think Physics has a pretty steep learning curve and it's easily the hardest subject I do, but if you put in the work I suppose you could do it... You'd just be making life hard for yourself tbh.

ugh that's what I was worried about :s-smilie: I'll definitely have to put more consideration into whether I want to do maths or not, up until now I've just been relying on the fact that my target for maths is an a* but now I kind of get that might not be enough. thanks for replying :smile:
I got through Physics AS without doing maths and passed. Yes I got an E but that was wasn't due to the lack of maths, it was simply not being very good at the subject, regardless of it being my favorite.
It's only now doing A2 I am encountering things that required maths, however they're fairly basic. Just some logarithm stuff but I picked it up pretty quickly and only got a B at GCSE maths.

I wouldn't say maths is that important, but who knows what I could've got last year if I had taken maths, its difficult to tell.

Good luck
Reply 8
Original post by a.nnie
ugh that's what I was worried about :s-smilie: I'll definitely have to put more consideration into whether I want to do maths or not, up until now I've just been relying on the fact that my target for maths is an a* but now I kind of get that might not be enough. thanks for replying :smile:

My opinion is that it's not that you NEED A Level Maths, but DOING A Level Maths makes the Maths in Physics very easy... Like trivial, almost.

Because you're doing harder Maths in actual Maths, lol. There's a lot of crossover between Physics and Maths and in general you're just giving yourself less work by taking those two together. Hope that helps and no problem.
you can do it but it's easier with maths
Reply 10
Original post by mauricesylvester
I got through Physics AS without doing maths and passed. Yes I got an E but that was wasn't due to the lack of maths, it was simply not being very good at the subject, regardless of it being my favorite.
It's only now doing A2 I am encountering things that required maths, however they're fairly basic. Just some logarithm stuff but I picked it up pretty quickly and only got a B at GCSE maths.

I wouldn't say maths is that important, but who knows what I could've got last year if I had taken maths, its difficult to tell.

Good luck

thanks for this!! I'm glad there's someone who didn't find the maths particularly more challenging haha :smile: good luck with the rest of a2

Quick Reply

Latest