The Student Room Group

Interested in Medicine but my GCSE's aren't that great

I am really passionate about wanting to do medicine in university but what haunts my thoughts regularly is that I don't exactly have the minimum grades needed in GCSE to apply. And yes, I am absolutely aware of how competitive medicine is nowadays. I really want to do medicine and I'm thinking of retaking one of my GCSE subjects although I am currently doing As levels atm.
Any advice or help from people???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a.s.98
I am really passionate about wanting to do medicine in university but what haunts my thoughts regularly is that I don't exactly have the minimum grades needed in GCSE to apply. And yes, I am absolutely aware of how competitive medicine is nowadays. I really want to do medicine and I'm thinking of retaking one of my GCSE subjects although I am currently doing As levels atm.
Any advice or help from people???

Well what are your GCSE grades?
I know the majority of applicants will have at least 3A*'s at GCSE. Many having more.

And all their A level options will be facilitating subjects. My friend just got rejected when he got AAAA at AS so clearly it's very difficult

What were your grades? I'd only retake science related stuff + english and maths if I was you
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Well what are your GCSE grades?

i got 3 As 1 A*, 1 B and 3 Cs
I'm in the exact same boat my friend!
I'm only predicted all B's:frown:
(Can I steal the title of this thread if you don't mind:colondollar:)
Reply 5
Original post by noor.m
I'm in the exact same boat my friend!
I'm only predicted all B's:frown:
(Can I steal the title of this thread if you don't mind:colondollar:)

be my guest :smile:
Original post by a.s.98
i got 3 As 1 A*, 1 B and 3 Cs

Do well on the UKCAT and your A Levels; get plenty of work experience; apply strategically. You'll be fine. :tongue:
If you were as passionate as you say you were, you would have tried harder in your GCSE's.
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
Do well on the UKCAT and your A Levels; get plenty of work experience; apply strategically. You'll be fine. :tongue:

you honestly are the first person on this website to make me feel better. Thanks :P
Original post by a.s.98
you honestly are the first person on this website to make me feel better. Thanks :P

No worries. :tongue: Have a generous 9 rep points. *reps*
Reply 10
Original post by Jaska
If you were as passionate as you say you were, you would have tried harder in your GCSE's.

My GCSE results was as a result of the school I went to.
I was in a class of four and out them I managed to just about pass... please don't assume that I didn't get the best of grades because I didn't 'try harder'
:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Hydeman
No worries. :tongue: Have a generous 9 rep points. *reps*

and the same to you :biggrin:
Original post by a.s.98
I was in a class of four and out them I managed to just about pass... please don't assume that I didn't get the best of grades because I didn't 'try harder'

so? do you know how easy it is to self teach gcses?
Original post by a.s.98

Doesnt matter what school you go to.. my school is terrible but im still one of the smartest in the school
Reply 14
Im sorry this is very off topic, but is there any admin i can contact i need to ask a few questions about my account? Thanks and sorry once again
Original post by Shahid786
Im sorry this is very off topic, but is there any admin i can contact i need to ask a few questions about my account? Thanks and sorry once again

Create a thread in the Ask the Community Team forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215.
Original post by Jaska

thats slightly harsh, i know when i did my GCSE's i didnt try as hard as i could and maybe the OP recently became interested in medicine.
Original post by medicapplicant
thats slightly harsh, i know when i did my GCSE's i didnt try as hard as i could and maybe the OP recently became interested in medicine.

Don't forget that and the fact some of us went to a rubbish school, in a deprived area, got bullied a lot and careers advice was literally useless

Quick Reply

Latest