The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Maths/Further Maths 2016/17 - How will it work?

I am currently doing Edexcel AS Further Maths with the modules: FP1, M1 and M2. My class gets to vote on what modules we will do at A2. One possibility is FP2, FP3 and D1.
Some people feel the need to do M3 over D1 due to what they hear. Apparently, D1 is easier and therefore isn't regarded as highly by top universities. Personally I would do D1 not only because I would like to do Computer Science at Uni but because of the way the government are changing things.
... So is it true that AS grades will not count to A2 grades? (If I am sitting A2 in June 2017). If this is true, then that would mean I would need to score above 90 across my 3 further maths modules to get an A*, regardless of my AS grades. So with that said, wouldn't it make more sense to do D1 if it was 'easier', (with A* in mind). Also, wouldn't uni's question it in since it is an AS module (although I am doing an A2 module this year, M2), and therefore would D1 not count towards my A2 Grade, but the M2 I did at AS instead.. although that doesn't make much sense to me :s

I would just like to be informed on what things I said were right or wrong, and for anyone to give me advice on this topic if they think I need it.
Original post by Nabz Ali
I am currently doing Edexcel AS Further Maths with the modules: FP1, M1 and M2. My class gets to vote on what modules we will do at A2. One possibility is FP2, FP3 and D1.
Some people feel the need to do M3 over D1 due to what they hear. Apparently, D1 is easier and therefore isn't regarded as highly by top universities. Personally I would do D1 not only because I would like to do Computer Science at Uni but because of the way the government are changing things.
... So is it true that AS grades will not count to A2 grades? (If I am sitting A2 in June 2017). If this is true, then that would mean I would need to score above 90 across my 3 further maths modules to get an A*, regardless of my AS grades. So with that said, wouldn't it make more sense to do D1 if it was 'easier', (with A* in mind). Also, wouldn't uni's question it in since it is an AS module (although I am doing an A2 module this year, M2), and therefore would D1 not count towards my A2 Grade, but the M2 I did at AS instead.. although that doesn't make much sense to me :s

I would just like to be informed on what things I said were right or wrong, and for anyone to give me advice on this topic if they think I need it.

There will be no changes to A level maths until courses that start in sept 2017 and have first full exams in summer 2019. Whatever combination your teachers agree to teach or in what year you take them, if your exam entries are done correctly edexcel will combine your 12 units results to optimise your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yeah that's true, I found out today. Thanks

Original post by gdunne42
There will be no changes to A level maths until courses that start in sept 2017 and have first full exams in summer 2019. Whatever combination your teachers agree to teach or in what year you take them, if your exam entries are done correctly edexcel will combine your 12 units results to optimise your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest