The Student Room Group

Steths - Has anyone tried the Littmann Classic III versus the Classic II?

Ultra-geeky question.

I have a second hand Littmann Classic II SE from 1996 which has seen me through medical school, but I often feel like I can hear jack with it and certainly seem to hear a lot better with colleagues newer steths. I am also allergic to the tubing, though not sure if a new stephoscope would avoid this. I want to upgrade now I am earning (and it actually matters what I hear)....

A lot of people will probably recommend the cardiology III, which I am also strongly considering, but it is twice the price of a classic III so wondered if there was much difference in the upgrade between classic IIs and IIIs?

Can't make up my mind what I want! (I've read the thread on steths from the summer but I can't see mention of the classic III)

Thanks.
I actually lost my Classic II SE (with my e-mail engraved on it :-/) a week ago and just got a Classic III delivered. The main diaphragm seems a tiny bit smaller and sounds pretty much the same as far as I can tell - having said that I can't really tell the difference between this and the cardiology III either. The smaller diaphragm is more useful than the bell on the Classic II SE and I can now hear more when auscultating the carotids.

I only found out about the MDF instruments steths after I paid £75 for the classic III. Honestly, if I ever (read: when) lose my classic III I'll just get one of these for £30.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDF-Stainless-Steel-Premium-Stethoscope/dp/B000RQL2CC
Reply 2
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
I actually lost my Classic II SE (with my e-mail engraved on it :-/) a week ago and just got a Classic III delivered. The main diaphragm seems a tiny bit smaller and sounds pretty much the same as far as I can tell - having said that I can't really tell the difference between this and the cardiology III either. The smaller diaphragm is more useful than the bell on the Classic II SE and I can now hear more when auscultating the carotids.

I only found out about the MDF instruments steths after I paid £75 for the classic III. Honestly, if I ever (read: when) lose my classic III I'll just get one of these for £30.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDF-Stainless-Steel-Premium-Stethoscope/dp/B000RQL2CC

Thanks, I will take a look at the MDF, I know it has good reviews but feels like taking a bit of a risk since everyone I know and have worked with have Littmann's! Looks like the classic III is closer to the the card III and if I go for a Littmann's it is perhaps a better bet given my ability to lose my belongings.
Original post by TheRabbit
Thanks, I will take a look at the MDF, I know it has good reviews but feels like taking a bit of a risk since everyone I know and have worked with have Littmann's!

Only because doctors don't actually know what the difference between steths is so they just get the same as their friends.

I often cite this study. It doesn't include some of the more expensive littmann models, and is now out of date, but is certainly objective evidence that both other brands, and much, much cheaper steths can actually out-perform littmann.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending