The Student Room Group

Is really hard to do 4 A-levels for two years?

I am really unsure whether I should do 4 A-levels. I am planning to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature. I want to become a doctor, so I will need to take chem, bio and maths, but as for eng lit I'm not sure....

PLEASE HELP! :smile:
Nope. I did it and it's relatively easy. Got 4 As, predicted 4 A*s.
Reply 2
If you did well at GCSE you should be fine with those subjects. Having said that, I did well at GCSE and I'm finding A-Levels pretty tough so far (mainly because of the workload), and I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
Not going to say that your choices are easy but if u wanna do medicine then you're options are set, Although I think English language would be a better choice than Lit. I do Lit though, be prepared to read lots and lots and be able to memorise quotes its closed Book Examination.
Original post by Yummygummykai09
I am really unsure whether I should do 4 A-levels. I am planning to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature. I want to become a doctor, so I will need to take chem, bio and maths, but as for eng lit I'm not sure....

You don't need to take maths to do medicine.
Reply 5
I suppose it depends on what matters to you. In the scheme of things your degree will be the most important academic qualification in becoming a doctor and if you feel as though you are putting your opportunity for a place at the university you want to attend at risk then why bother. Ensuring the right degree and university will be far more important to your future than an English A-level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Yummygummykai09

DO IT.
best decision i've made during my A levels. Definitely helped my time management and organisation.
You could just do English until AS so there's less of a work load in year 13 and more time can be spent on the other three A Levels. I think A*A*A* is better than A*A*AA as uni's requirement are based on 3 grades - but I may be wrong, doing well in 4 subjects (more than what most people take) may still be attractive to them. I think if you're very very good at English and cut out for 4 A Levels then go for it. Otherwise just do it for AS.
I'm in yr 11 right now so I will be doing my GCSEs in the summer, but so far I have an A in maths and a A in RE. I want to be a doctor and apart from that I don't know...
Original post by Hydeman
You don't need to take maths to do medicine.

True you don't need it, but maths is a good one to have for anything so op should stick to that
Original post by HamzahPatel
True you don't need it, but maths is a good one to have for anything so op should stick to that

It's rather more important for the OP to take a subject that he or she has the best chance of getting an A/A* in. Most medicine admissions tutor would rather you have an A in geography or history or English literature than have a C in maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
It's rather more important for the OP to take a subject that he or she has the best chance of getting an A/A* in. Most medicine admissions tutor would rather you have an A in geography or history or English literature than have a C in maths.

true that

Quick Reply

Latest