The Student Room Group

Immediate family?

For the gateway to medicine course at Bristol, it says 'first in your immediate family', so does that include siblings? Because neither of my parents went to uni, but my sister (who's one year older than me), is going.
Reply 1
Original post by MiracleLeaf
For the gateway to medicine course at Bristol, it says 'first in your immediate family', so does that include siblings? Because neither of my parents went to uni, but my sister (who's one year older than me), is going.

Immediate family usually includes parents, spouses, children and brothers and sisters. I would imagine it would include your sister (because you are no longer the first in your family to go to university). The best thing to do is to email them and confirm.
Yes, sister = immediate family.
Original post by Beska
Immediate family usually includes parents, spouses, children and brothers and sisters. I would imagine it would include your sister (because you are no longer the first in your family to go to university). The best thing to do is to email them and confirm.

So what about universities that say you have to be a 'first generation applicant'? I presume that means that it wouldn't matter about my sister going, right?
Reply 4
So what about universities that say you have to be a 'first generation applicant'? I presume that means that it wouldn't matter about my sister going, right?

For Soton BM6, it doesn't matter that your sister went to university if your parents did not in terms of being a 'first generation applicant to higher education'.

"First generation to pursue Higher Education (not including siblings)"

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/3C4B4F4E506C4F90861DFF4776701DE2/bm6-residential-application.pdf

Again, always best to email them to make sure before you apply.
Original post by Beska
For Soton BM6, it doesn't matter that your sister went to university if your parents did not in terms of being a 'first generation applicant to higher education'.

"First generation to pursue Higher Education (not including siblings)"

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/3C4B4F4E506C4F90861DFF4776701DE2/bm6-residential-application.pdf

Again, always best to email them to make sure before you apply.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for your help :smile:

No probs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending