The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by H1998
Hi guys,if i'm lucky to get a interview, does anyone know what the unis look for whilst they are interviewing the applicants? Really worried that i wont get an offer from any?
And does anyone know how many applicants are on the course for certain unis like DMU/MMU/City Uni?

do you mean how many places there are? I think DMU there are about 20 to 28 places, MMU around 40 and City about 60, or it might be less. All I know from some open days is that they're looking for 'communication skills', though I'm not sure how to get this across in say a group interview or something. And also knowledge of the role of SLT. I am worried about the same things you are too! :smile:
whooH interview for DMU. I forgot what their interview process involves. Now just praying and praying that Leeds Beckett have the good grace to grant me an interview, as well as at least ONE of the manchesters, as I loved both Manchesters and Leeds Beckett, more so than DMU really.
I may not even get the grades yet but it would be good for extra motivation at least and I need as many chances as I can get. Not used to interview at all!
Original post by Galaxies
whooH interview for DMU. I forgot what their interview process involves. Now just praying and praying that Leeds Beckett have the good grace to grant me an interview, as well as at least ONE of the manchesters, as I loved both Manchesters and Leeds Beckett, more so than DMU really.
I may not even get the grades yet but it would be good for extra motivation at least and I need as many chances as I can get. Not used to interview at all!

Hi when did you get informed about an interview at DMU?
Original post by TiramisuGoomba
I am first year at DMU. Happy to answer questions.

Re: placements - they could be anywhere in the East Midlands but most tend to be in/around Leicester. All of the places are driveable/public transit accessible from the campus.

what were your predicted grades if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by cherry16
what were your predicted grades if you dont mind me asking?

I'm Canadian so my "A-Level equivalents" are probably completely different from whatever UK 'predicted grades' are!

So can't help you there because we don't have A-Levels in Canada. I am also a mature student, and I have been to university before.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zpatel97
Hi,

I've applied for speech and language therapy at MMU, UoM, Leeds Beckett and university of Sheffeild. I have an interview at mmu on Monday is really daunting is there any advice you could give? Also has anyone heard back from Leeds Beckett?

Hi,
Could you tell me about your interview at MMU?
Was is a group or individual interview? What did they want you to talk about?
Original post by cherry16
Hi when did you get informed about an interview at DMU?

It was just the day before I posted that last comment, it was just by email. Strangely I have had two interviews offered to me by email only and not on UCAS tracker at all. But one by UCAS tracker. I wouldn't worry if you think they send all the invitations to interview at the same time, I doubt that they do. I'm still waiting for Leeds Beckett and MMU's replies. Loved MMU and Leeds the most i think, but MMU seems like it's got the hardest entry requirements, and the girls at their open day did seem a bit stressed. Maybe it's more full on to do the degree in three years than four....though it seems a bit unfair that the speech therapy degree would actually need to be more full on, than say nursing, when nurses are the ones who are more likely have responsibilities for people's survival. A lot more so than speech therapists would have... but yet nursing courses aren't 9-5 full-on everyday.
It was just the day before I posted that last comment, it was just by email. Strangely I have had two interviews offered to me by email only and not on UCAS tracker at all. But one by UCAS tracker. I wouldn't worry if you think they send all the invitations to interview at the same time, I doubt that they do. I'm still waiting for Leeds Beckett and MMU's replies. Loved MMU and Leeds the most i think, but MMU seems like it's got the hardest entry requirements, and the girls at their open day did seem a bit stressed. Maybe it's more full on to do the degree in three years than four....though it seems a bit unfair that the speech therapy degree would actually need to be more full on, than say nursing, when nurses are the ones who are more likely have responsibilities for people's survival. A lot more so than speech therapists would have... but yet nursing courses aren't 9-5 full-on everyday.

Not all unis use UCAS to invite you for interviews - if I remember correctly only Leeds and MMU sent interview invites via UCAS in the year I applied.

Wondered what you meant by "harder entry requirements at MMU". It has the same grade requirements as Leeds doesn't it - which are lower than UoM and Sheffield?

And although it's a more full on degree than some others I don't think it can be summed up as 9-5 five days a week or more full on than nursing! Also its 3.5 years on the course at MMU - Leeds is done in 3 years - Sheffield and UoM is 4 years. We have slightly longer terms than the more standard degrees with some teaching continuing after spring/summer exams.

Sorry you got the impression that MMU students were more stressed than others lol :smile:
Original post by chuchip
Hi all :smile: I have a few questions. Firstly, specifically for those currently studying SLT, which parts of the course are you enjoying the most, and which the least? What are you finding most challenging and why? Also, anyone at DMU or BCU, what are the placements like, how far afield do they go?

To everyone: how much experience would you consider to be too little? If that makes sense. And also, what sort of experience would you consider most useful for SLT? I have my own ideas on that last one after researching, but I'd still like to hear input from others.

All the best to everyone applying this year, btw!

I am a first year student at BCU and changed to part time for the first two years for personal reasons and to cope with the work load and long commute.
Phonetics is really enjoyable but takes some getting used to and I'm still working on it. Linguistics is interesting and psychology is great, but I have a background in that. I personally have found the anatomy and physiology challenging, but I have limited knowledge in the area, so it's a steep learning curve for me. I don't do those courses now until next year and will be with next years intake so hoping to meet some of you guys next year.

The staff are really great at BCU and are very helpful and supportive. The student group work well together, with us all helping each other out.

I think with experience it's not just the experience you have, it's how you show you've learnt from it..Although there's a lot of mature students, there are also school leavers who haven't had the chance to gain a lot of experience prior to starting.

Good luck!
Original post by AmyPilot
Not all unis use UCAS to invite you for interviews - if I remember correctly only Leeds and MMU sent interview invites via UCAS in the year I applied.

Wondered what you meant by "harder entry requirements at MMU". It has the same grade requirements as Leeds doesn't it - which are lower than UoM and Sheffield?

And although it's a more full on degree than some others I don't think it can be summed up as 9-5 five days a week or more full on than nursing! Also its 3.5 years on the course at MMU - Leeds is done in 3 years - Sheffield and UoM is 4 years. We have slightly longer terms than the more standard degrees with some teaching continuing after spring/summer exams.

Sorry you got the impression that MMU students were more stressed than others lol :smile:

For access course applicants it's 36 distinctions for MMU, the university of Manchester only want 30 and I think the same with sheffield. And I think leeds say something like 20 distinctions (I haven't re-looked this up so it might not be right).... it may also be different for A level applicants though.
Some universities are just having a laugh for their entry requirements for mature students: UEA want full 45 distinctions, this is probably not particulalry possible unless you're very used to the access course and know exactly what the assignments call for. There isn't really very much help at access at all, so I am only just getting into the gist of what each subjects wants.
I just assumed that it seemed like it was described more full on than nursing because everyone doing SALT says it is full time every day, no missing a few days or free periods to go to the gym or something like other courses. Then when people have been accepted they are warned about the work load, as well as people even wanting to have a rest after they've done the degree. I just never hear about this for nursing... or an extra year added, someone told me they could have just made the course 4 years to get extra tuition money - which did kind of make sense but I know the university of manchester is making theirs into a 3 year course after 2017.
I did really like the MMU facilities and the girls at open day were really nice. Same with Leeds Beckett. University of manchester I loved the library there and the fact it's so quiet with people actually working. DMU seemed supportive but I am not sure about the campus, etc... I'll take what I can get in the end though.
For access course applicants it's 36 distinctions for MMU, the university of Manchester only want 30 and I think the same with sheffield. And I think leeds say something like 20 distinctions (I haven't re-looked this up so it might not be right).... it may also be different for A level applicants though.
Some universities are just having a laugh for their entry requirements for mature students: UEA want full 45 distinctions, this is probably not particulalry possible unless you're very used to the access course and know exactly what the assignments call for. There isn't really very much help at access at all, so I am only just getting into the gist of what each subjects wants.
I just assumed that it seemed like it was described more full on than nursing because everyone doing SALT says it is full time every day, no missing a few days or free periods to go to the gym or something like other courses. Then when people have been accepted they are warned about the work load, as well as people even wanting to have a rest after they've done the degree. I just never hear about this for nursing... or an extra year added, someone told me they could have just made the course 4 years to get extra tuition money - which did kind of make sense but I know the university of manchester is making theirs into a 3 year course after 2017.
I did really like the MMU facilities and the girls at open day were really nice. Same with Leeds Beckett. University of manchester I loved the library there and the fact it's so quiet with people actually working. DMU seemed supportive but I am not sure about the campus, etc... I'll take what I can get in the end though.

Entry requirements are strange things - I was an A level student and UoM and Sheffield wanted higher grades than MMU & Leeds.

First year is not as intense as I was expecting - it is more intensive in year 2 though and I think that may be why they warn you before you start! The course has a lot of content.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Does anyone think that universities watch threads like this? It's quite creepy and maybe I am just being paranoid but I think some admissions people may do just that, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who some applicants might be behind the username.
Since I put that last comment about UEA requesting virtually impossible entry requirements for access I received an email about something strict, nothing to do with UEA but still......
Does anyone think that universities watch threads like this? It's quite creepy and maybe I am just being paranoid but I think some admissions people may do just that, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who some applicants might be behind the username.
Since I put that last comment about UEA requesting virtually impossible entry requirements for access I received an email about something strict, nothing to do with UEA but still......

Yep they do. Whether they have the time or inclination to attempt to link users to applications I don't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Has anyone heard back from De Montfort? They said in an email that they would take 10 working days to get back to you & anyone know if they interview as on the ucas form it doesnt say that they do x
Original post by Cait102
Has anyone heard back from De Montfort? They said in an email that they would take 10 working days to get back to you & anyone know if they interview as on the ucas form it doesnt say that they do x

DMU do interview and it took just over 10 days for them to get back to me
Original post by Cait102

I have but don't worry if you haven't, I spoke to my tutor about universities not getting back and I was told that they legally have to anyway. He was actually really positive about it, because I assumed the worst ....so it just may take them a while that's all. It's probably in slow batches or something like that
Reply 196
Anyone have any idea in the slightest what to expect for a mini multiple interview? AHHH, AND SO THE PANIC BEGINS.
Original post by als-96
Anyone have any idea in the slightest what to expect for a mini multiple interview? AHHH, AND SO THE PANIC BEGINS.

Wow times have changed since I applied with regards to interview styles - which uni does MMI interviews?
Reply 198
Original post by AmyPilot
Wow times have changed since I applied with regards to interview styles - which uni does MMI interviews?

Out of the ones I've applied to, I've received interviews from 2 that do MMIs: Newcastle and University of Manchester :afraid::afraid:
Original post by als-96
Out of the ones I've applied to, I've received interviews from 2 that do MMIs: Newcastle and University of Manchester :afraid::afraid:

I heard that Manchester were changing the interview but didn't realise it was that much of a change. MMU is different this year too, but not that different I don't think. I didn't apply to Newcastle but sure that it wasn't MMI style in previous years.

Seems they are all changing! I had written interviews when I applied with the odd group activity or face to face interview included as well.

Where else have you applied?

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest