The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by AmyPilot
I heard that Manchester were changing the interview but didn't realise it was that much of a change. MMU is different this year too, but not that different I don't think. I didn't apply to Newcastle but sure that it wasn't MMI style in previous years.

Seems they are all changing! I had written interviews when I applied with the odd group activity or face to face interview included as well.

Where else have you applied?

Good luck.

I definitely know this is UoM first time using the MMI structured interview, not sure about Newcastle! I've also applied to MMU, Leeds Beckett and UEA :smile:
Original post by als-96
I definitely know this is UoM first time using the MMI structured interview, not sure about Newcastle! I've also applied to MMU, Leeds Beckett and UEA :smile:

I applied to UoM MMU Leeds and Sheffield - I am in my second year at MMU.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by als-96
Anyone have any idea in the slightest what to expect for a mini multiple interview? AHHH, AND SO THE PANIC BEGINS.

Aah! Don't panic, the MMI is not to be feared. The selection process has had to be changed for most universities, the style that a few unis are adopting is much like often used for those applying to medicine (if you know any medics ask.) The aim is that the person that you are shines through, rather than just being left with a paper with your handwriting on as in previous years. University will make a speech and language therapist out of you,even if you aren't the most knowledgeable beforehand, but some basic qualities cannot be taught.

Look forward to hopefully meeting you at the interview...
I want to apply for the course. I have a degree in languages at 2:2. and no science A levels. Any advice?
Hi all, any international students here? Been lurking around here for a while :smile:
I am from Singapore, but I hold an American high school diploma, and I took SAT I and II. Now I'm awaiting my SAT II results.
I visited UK a month ago and checked out quite a few schools. I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield, Reading, and Newcastle - I really like Sheffield's and Reading's environment, but didn't get to see Newcastle... I'm feeling quite worried because I don't know what my chances are :/
I do have some experience - I've been working with children, some with special needs, as a teacher-aide for the past 1.5 years (I graduated from high school early hence started working for a bit), and have also shadowed a few speech therapists.
I'm going for the Jan 15 deadline. Was wondering if there's anyone here in a similar situation! Trying not to let the anxiety get to me!
Reply 205
Original post by JordanC55
It's so cool this is this post is alive! Yeah I'm going dmu this year, if anyone is considering going there hit me up and I'll try to help

Hi,

I have an interview for DMU in january and I have seen on the breakdown of the day that there is an interview/scenario question bit.

Can I ask what sort of things do they ask please?
As I missed the deadline for most of the postgraduate courses, I am applying for a bunch of undergrad options to maximise my chances. My choices are Manchester, MMU, Sheffield, Newcastle, and Marjon (one southern wildcard just because I have a friend who took the course down there and who loved it). I am applying for Essex for postgrad.

Good luck everyone.
Reply 207
Hey guys I was just wondering how long it took those who applied to MMU, Reading and City uni to get back you on anything?
Reply 208
Hi , I've applied for Reading, City, Leeds, BCU and UEA. I've got a questionnaire from reading and interviews for Leeds, BCU, and UEA in January but I'm so nervous, any ideas on questions they may ask?
Hi,

Does anyone know how long City takes to reply following the interviews?
Hi
I've applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, UoM, MMU and Leeds Becket. I've had interviews at MMU and Newcastle and have one for UoM in Feb. Also got an offer from MMU on Friday. Should I be worried that I haven't heard from Sheffield yet, but others have?? I sent my application off in October:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emchadwick
Hi
I've applied to Newcastle, Sheffield, UoM, MMU and Leeds Becket. I've had interviews at MMU and Newcastle and have one for UoM in Feb. Also got an offer from MMU on Friday. Should I be worried that I haven't heard from Sheffield yet, but others have?? I sent my application off in October:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Could you tell me what the interview was like at MMU? :smile:
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offer from MMU - don't worry about Sheffield - they can be slow at times - they were the last uni I heard from when I applied (and my least favourite when I actually got there lol).
Original post by 106533
Hi,

I have an interview for DMU in january and I have seen on the breakdown of the day that there is an interview/scenario question bit.

Original post by Jlm1898
Hi , I've applied for Reading, City, Leeds, BCU and UEA. I've got a questionnaire from reading and interviews for Leeds, BCU, and UEA in January but I'm so nervous, any ideas on questions they may ask?

Take a look at my SLT vlog video about interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBkkJMsqd9g :smile:

Hope that helps!
Reply 214
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Take a look at my SLT vlog video about interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBkkJMsqd9g :smile:

Hope that helps!

Brilliant thank you :smile:
so excited now. Idk why, as I will probably be less prepared for interviewing than most applicants....:smile: just noticed I have an interview from Leeds beckett I really liked this one. All my interviews seem so close though, maybe I will become an expert. Are we not allowed to discuss if we have interviews on the same date? However they go.... it's a good learning experience in the long run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Florence29
Hey,

Could you tell me what the interview was like at MMU? :smile:

^ same^ really interested to get an idea at least :wink:
Original post by 106533
Hi,

I think they've changed it a bit this year but I think the best advice I can give is to read the NHS and HCPC guidelines and understand what an SLT does and what qualities you need to be a good one.

Remember the patient always comes first and is their care is of utmost importance.

The interview for me was broken down into 3 rooms, one academic one, one scenario based one and one SLT related one just remember to be calm and be yourself and you'll be fine - the lecturers really are lovely.
Original post by minhayashi
Hi all, any international students here? Been lurking around here for a while :smile:

I am from Singapore, but I hold an American high school diploma, and I took SAT I and II. Now I'm awaiting my SAT II results. I visited UK a month ago and checked out quite a few schools. I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield, Reading, and Newcastle - I really like Sheffield's and Reading's environment, but didn't get to see Newcastle... I'm feeling quite worried because I don't know what my chances are :/

I do have some experience - I've been working with children, some with special needs, as a teacher-aide for the past 1.5 years (I graduated from high school early hence started working for a bit), and have also shadowed a few speech therapists. I'm going for the Jan 15 deadline. Was wondering if there's anyone here in a similar situation! Trying not to let the anxiety get to me!

If you have to self-fund then your chances are probably quite good so long as you meet the academic and language requirements; universities can only recruit a certain number of NHS funded places but can recruit as many self-funding students as they want (in theory). There are three girls from south-east Asia in my year at Newcastle if that makes you feel any better. One is from Brunei, another is from Singapore, and the last I forget.
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I have also applied for Newcastle and Sheffield to and have an interview for Newcastle later this month. Do you have any advice for the interview? I haven't heard from Sheffield either and similarly I applied in October. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest