The Student Room Group

I mucked up my M1(Edexcel) test today

I mucked up my M1 test today, consisting of 3 chapter 3 questions (All Jan 2008, Q1, 4 and 7) and I feel really stupid :frown: I got a B last term and I think I'm gonna get a D for this. I really like mechanics as well and I feel like I could be so much better.

So when I got home I tried to learn where I went wrong...

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_que_20080111.pdf

I got Q1, I got most of Q4 (over complicated part a) and only got Q7 part b (over complicated part a and put acceleration for d instead of tension :frown: ) but I really don't get Q7c.

Help please.

P.S Apologies if my mood brings yours down.
Don't feel too bad. Our class of 23 did one. There were 19 U's and 3 C's. M1 is disgusting. Like there was an 11 mark question wtf

That's the first time in my life I saw a math question above 6 marks. I mean tbf we've never revised it before and no one was really trying throughout us getting taught. But god damn I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Does it get easier?
Original post by Lawliettt
Don't feel too bad. Our class of 23 did one. There were 19 U's and 3 C's. M1 is disgusting. Like there was an 11 mark question wtf

That's the first time in my life I saw a math question above 6 marks. I mean tbf we've never revised it before and no one was really trying throughout us getting taught. But god damn I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. Does it get easier?

True and thanks for your support :smile:
Should I learn from my mistakes then (which feels like it'll be easier said then done)?
I think I didn't practice pulleys enough.
Also, I've heard M2 is nicer than M1...
Reply 3
start preparing your parents then for the result...
Original post by TeeEm
start preparing your parents then for the result...

I'm not really concerned about what my parents think it's more about my thoughts but lol.
Most people get centums in M1 so its definitely not that hard.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Also, I've heard M2 is nicer than M1...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't agree with this
I mucked up my M1 test today, consisting of 3 chapter 3 questions (All Jan 2008, Q1, 4 and 7) and I feel really stupid :frown: I got a B last term and I think I'm gonna get a D for this. I really like mechanics as well and I feel like I could be so much better.

So when I got home I tried to learn where I went wrong...

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6677_01_que_20080111.pdf

I got Q1, I got most of Q4 (over complicated part a) and only got Q7 part b (over complicated part a and put acceleration for d instead of tension :frown: ) but I really don't get Q7c.

Help please.

P.S Apologies if my mood brings yours down.

Question 7c is quite nasty.

You're looking for the speed of A as it reaches P. Up to the point where B is still falling, their velocities are the same. When B hits the ground, at that point A is somewhere, 1/3 * h distance away from P, so now A has the velocity that B did just before it hit the ground and came to rest. So what force is left acting on A?

Use that to find acceleration and then you can use SUVAT.
Original post by SeanFM
Question 7c is quite nasty.

You're looking for the speed of A as it reaches P. Up to the point where B is still falling, their velocities are the same. When B hits the ground, at that point A is somewhere, 1/3 * h distance away from P, so now A has the velocity that B did just before it hit the ground and came to rest. So what force is left acting on A?

Use that to find acceleration and then you can use SUVAT.

You see, now you've said it, it makes soooooo much more sense.

Thanks!

Maybe I should also prep for exams then?
Reply 9
I'm not really concerned about what my parents think it's more about my thoughts but lol.

back when I was a student I used to hide my father's belt in the shed on results day ...
How things have changed
Original post by TeeEm
back when I was a student I used to hide my father's belt in the shed on results day ...
How things have changed

I highly doubt that he ever used it on you. :redface:

You see, now you've said it, it makes soooooo much more sense.

Thanks!

Maybe I should also prep for exams then?

Prepare for January exams, maybe. Practice more pulley questions, maybe as well. They are nasty.
Original post by SeanFM
I highly doubt that he ever used it on you. :redface:

Prepare for January exams, maybe. Practice more pulley questions, maybe as well. They are nasty.

Thanks, you mean mocks right? I don't get Jan exams they're all in May/June.
Thanks, you mean mocks right? I don't get Jan exams they're all in May/June.

Yes, those.

Also, tip for M1, draw diagrams, and look at the questions carefuly and identify what topic it's asking about (moments, SUVAT etc).
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, those.

Also, tip for M1, draw diagrams, and look at the questions carefuly and identify what topic it's asking about (moments, SUVAT etc).

Yeah I always draw diagrams they're compulsory, maybe I should learn to draw separate stages of questions?
Yeah I always draw diagrams they're compulsory, maybe I should learn to draw separate stages of questions?

When something changes, I suppose so.

With enough practice and aiming to understand each topic, you'll be fine for M1.
Original post by SeanFM
When something changes, I suppose so.

With enough practice and aiming to understand each topic, you'll be fine for M1.

Thanks! Btw I really appreciate your support and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest