The Student Room Group

a453 ocr computing - Maths Quiz

Scroll to see replies

My school monitors the amount of time spent on coursework in strict sessions under exam conditions. We can't take home any of the work we do as it's locked in accounts on the school system that don't have email. The teacher regularly checks our account to see if work has changed.If a USB or online storage site is used and the teacher finds out it's a instant U and we get disqualified from the whole course. We also don't have a deadline as such but a time of 2 hours left we have had 10 hours so far. We got told that there is a maximum of 12 hours we had to A453. We also got told that everyone was under the same exam conditions so that clearly isn't true if you can just take it home and seem to get 20 hours instead of 12. I do have a practice program but that can't come into lessons. Screen shots of practice programmes are also not allowed.
Original post by Jrp051
We have seperate controlled assememt accounts where everything is logged to stop cheating

Can't you take it home tho? They can log the websites you go on etc. However not the files you take and add in?
Original post by reverseflash
My school monitors the amount of time spent on coursework in strict sessions under exam conditions. We can't take home any of the work we do as it's locked in accounts on the school system that don't have email. The teacher regularly checks our account to see if work has changed.If a USB or online storage site is used and the teacher finds out it's a instant U and we get disqualified from the whole course. We also don't have a deadline as such but a time of 2 hours left we have had 10 hours so far. We got told that there is a maximum of 12 hours we had to A453. We also got told that everyone was under the same exam conditions so that clearly isn't true if you can just take it home and seem to get 20 hours instead of 12. I do have a practice program but that can't come into lessons. Screen shots of practice programmes are also not allowed.

Oh I see. My school has non of that.
Your are so lucky it's a nightmare. I've been using my practice program all evening to try and store three scores for one pupil but haven't been successful. That's what I'm so stuck on and I can't work out how to do it. I have a lesson tomorrow and are going to be wasting an hour since I can't get it sorted. I've tried using a 2D array but that's an A level technique and I trying to remember it from a lesson on Friday which isn't going very well the teacher also hasn't sent us the notes we did on Friday about this so any help would be nice.
I'm doing this in python. Task 2 and 3 were due in like 3 months ago. Pls help. What is computing anymore??
Reply 45
Original post by KryptoModz
Sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say.

hi new account so can you check my a453 really need that one mark
thanks
Reply 46
Original post by KryptoModz
Try Stackoverflow, there are many threads on each specific criteria such as average etc. I spent 3/4 researching and the rest programming! One tip make sure you add your research to your documentation as you go along! I didn't now I'm struggling to remember what I even researched 0.o

how the hell do you save the last 3 scores for each student??
Use CSV files instead? My teacher said they are more appropriate to store data and can be manipulated easier. I don't know how much of that is true, considering I'm just starting Task 3 and it's Christmas so. :wink:

Any help on how to start task 3? Helpful websites? YouTube?
Reply 48

If you cheat on the course, I believe you don't just only get disqualified from Computing, you get disqualified from all other exams you have with OCR. From the top of my hand, I think I have done A453 already and personally I think it isn't too hard compared to A452 which I'm doing now, it's a bloody nightmare in my opinion. Just make sure you do research the stuff you need and evidence it etc
Reply 49
Original post by JTran38
If you cheat on the course, I believe you don't just only get disqualified from Computing, you get disqualified from all other exams you have with OCR. From the top of my hand, I think I have done A453 already and personally I think it isn't too hard compared to A452 which I'm doing now, it's a bloody nightmare in my opinion. Just make sure you do research the stuff you need and evidence it etc

everyone is using python :redface: my class are using visual basics and it is quite difficult however the task 3 is easier as we link it to access where most of it would be done for you :tongue: !
Reply 50
Original post by Jagraj16
Use CSV files instead? My teacher said they are more appropriate to store data and can be manipulated easier. I don't know how much of that is true, considering I'm just starting Task 3 and it's Christmas so. :wink:

Any help on how to start task 3? Helpful websites? YouTube?

bruhh im stuck on task 3 too. can't figure anything out. and yeah csv is useful to use for task 3. so far i can sort the score highest to lowest and get the alphabetical order done but how the hell do you save latest 3 scores for each student :frown:
How did you guys solve Task 2? I'm really confused because first I thought you were meant to write to file, but then I found out I had to use list of lists of dictionaries and store the name and scores to them first, which has made me redo the whole write up for it. :frown: Is writing to file and reading from file needed for task 2? Or do you just need to save the scores in a data structure and then write and read to file for task 3?
Reply 52
Original post by Akashi_
how the hell do you save the last 3 scores for each student??

If you're using Python, you can use dictionaries to store the students' names and their results. When adding a new score, use an 'if' statement to see whether the student already has three scores. If they do, delete the oldest score and add the new score. If they don't, just add the new score.

Hope this helps!
I achieved 44/45 for the exact same tasks in the CA. Remember that programming is only a small section of the marks - planning, development and testing etc. will give you most of the marks and you can do really well with a half broken program of you finish these sections to a high standard (I had an absurdly long but well explained 70 page report with diagrams, but approx 40 to 50 pgs is enough. Pages of waffling scored more marks than 20/40/50 lines of code!).

The task is open to interpretation therefore it was not essential to involve any form of reading and writing to a text file. You can achieve full marks for programming assuming it fits the criteria by, for example, storing the name and scores in 2D arrays then loading data from the array when needed (for task 3).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SkyJP
I achieved 44/45 for the exact same tasks in the CA. Remember that programming is only a small section of the marks - planning, development and testing etc. will give you most of the marks and you can do really well with a half broken program of you finish these sections to a high standard (I had an absurdly long but well explained 70 page report with diagrams, but approx 40 to 50 pgs is enough. Pages of waffling scored more marks than 20/40/50 lines of code!).

The task is open to interpretation therefore it was not essential to involve any form of reading and writing to a text file. You can achieve full marks for programming assuming it fits the criteria by, for example, storing the name and scores in 2D arrays then loading data from the array when needed (for task 3).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you finished your GCSE's? Or just finished the controlled assessment?
Original post by Jagraj16
How did you guys solve Task 2? I'm really confused because first I thought you were meant to write to file, but then I found out I had to use list of lists of dictionaries and store the name and scores to them first, which has made me redo the whole write up for it. :frown: Is writing to file and reading from file needed for task 2? Or do you just need to save the scores in a data structure and then write and read to file for task 3?

Task 2 shouldn't be a problem, requires a fair amount of research and the code is already on the internet just in different scenarios. Task 3 is the main problem...
Original post by Jrp051
But how did you do task 3 help!!!!

You can't just be given the answers. Controlled assessment tasks have been withdrawn before due to answers being posted online.
Reply 57
Original post by CloakedSpartan
You can't just be given the answers. Controlled assessment tasks have been withdrawn before due to answers being posted online.

Yes i understand that but i was asking for guidance which is allowed now i have thankfully finnished all three tasks and have been submutted fir marking
Original post by Jrp051
Yes i understand that but i was asking for guidance which is allowed now i have thankfully finnished all three tasks and have been submutted fir marking

Yep! I got mine marked I got 42 luckily clutched the A* :smile:

I don't think the time conditions are strict, though. They're just recommendations.

I'm on task 3 of the encryption set atm, haven't been doing much afterschool as I've been doing art coursework. I've done about 9,000 words for tasks 1+2 though and I've used a lot of advanced programming techniques as well as really good development and commenting, so I got a preliminary coursework grade of an A* ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest