The Student Room Group

Is Applying to Jesus College Haram?

Just asking for a friend, he wasnt sure.

Scroll to see replies

Lmao, no. I go to a Catholic College, it's fine.
LOL

:rofl:
Reply 3
Original post by TunaTunnel
Just asking for a friend, he wasnt sure.

I cried reading this
Many Colleges at Cambridge have a Jesus-related name. The fact it's called Jesus, then, shouldn't make it any different from the others. Emmanuel, Corpus Christi, Christ's,Trinity, Trinity Hall, even Magdalene is Christian-related. Colleges are generally secular places though, and the fact it's got a name that is in some way linked to Christianity shouldn't really matter. The name is largely just a relic of their past.

I don't know the specifics of this question, but I really doubt it would be Haram - and there are plenty of Muslims at all of these Colleges.
Jesus [Easa (AS)] is a Prophet in Islam.
(edited 8 years ago)

Spoiler

Reply 7
The River Isis is in Oxford.
Reply 8
If that is considered to be Haram, then imagine the poor Muslim who applies to colleges and universities which are named after "pagan" religions like Hindu College (University of Delhi) and Banaras Hindu University in India.
He/She would probably attract a Fatwa.
omg :rofl:
Original post by nucdev
If that is considered to be Haram, then imagine the poor Muslim who applies to colleges and universities which are named after "pagan" religions like Hindu College (University of Delhi) and Banaras Hindu University in India.
He/She would probably attract a Fatwa.

Or imagine the poor Muslim who applies to a (Cambridge) college specifically because of its non-Jesus-related name -- only to get pooled and get an offer from Jesus College. :rofl:
This killed me.. Oh god why
What????

I'M DONE. I'M AM SO DONE. :toofunny:
Reply 13
I've just confirmed with an Imam that it isn't, however from this moment on you must refer to it as Isa College, Cambridge, to respect him as a prophet of Islam. Good luck with your application to Isa. :smile:
Just call it natural selection and avoid it.
Reply 15
:rofl2:
Original post by Shahe
I've just confirmed with an Imam that it isn't, however from this moment on you must refer to it as Isa College, Cambridge, to respect him as a prophet of Islam. Good luck with your application to Isa. :smile:

:rofl:

yes, definitely call it "isa college" during your interview, they will love that :yep:
Original post by Maker
The River Isis is in Oxford.

oh my !

Well played Sir !

:congrats:
On no account should your friend apply to Newnham

:yay:
Reply 19
Original post by the bear
On no account should your friend apply to Newnham

:yay:

Lucky he doesn't go to Bacon College in Southwark, London.

Quick Reply

Latest