Like a diamond in a vat of ****

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by RobML
Like a diamond in a vat of ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

btw, do you know anything about Colum Hall and/or Aberdare hall?

I had to leave like 20 mins early for my coach so wasn't able to be given a quick tour of the accom, and a student in my course said those places would be more convenient for me and they're generally nice places to live.

Which accom do you live in?
Reply 222
Original post by thecatwithnohat
btw, do you know anything about Colum Hall and/or Aberdare hall?

I had to leave like 20 mins early for my coach so wasn't able to be given a quick tour of the accom, and a student in my course said those places would be more convenient for me and they're generally nice places to live.

Which accom do you live in?

Colum hall is decent; a couple of my friends stay there. Near to Lidl (this is super important) and the majority of university buildings, plus there's nuns always wandering around the back.
Is Aberdare the girl's hall? I get mixed up between it and Aberconwy!
And I stay in Talybont Court :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I certainly didn't encounter anyone racist while I was there and it had a fair diversity of ethnicities to. I can say that the people are soooo much friendlier than people in London, no doubt! But who knows, maybe they were just putting on an act for my visit. :rofl:

Original post by RobML
Probably a bunch of London ******s who think they're superior to everyone else

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone seems far nicer than londoners nowadays
Reply 224
Original post by kkboyk
I am! :tongue: I've just sent my application some quite recently. Have you heard back yet?

Just got my offer today - an A in maths (obviously), an A in the welsh bacc and a distinction in applied science... Or and A in maths, the welsh bacc and an A or B in my other a level subject (sociology) ... Have you heard back yet??
Reply 225
I want to do Maths at Cardiff hopefully! But I am not sure about Bath or Cardiff as Uni's which is better do you think?
Reply 226
Original post by Fdog
I want to do Maths at Cardiff hopefully! But I am not sure about Bath or Cardiff as Uni's which is better do you think?

I live in cardiff and have gone to the school of maths, and met the admissions tutor quite a few times - they often come to my college and do talks and stuff, and to me they just seem really nice.
When I visited bath, the admissions tutor was just going on about how they only want the best. To me the lecturers at Cardiff just seemed so much more passionate in their research and maths as a whole. Thats what made the decision for me applying to Cardiff as one of my choices and not Bath
Reply 227
Original post by Green98
I live in cardiff and have gone to the school of maths, and met the admissions tutor quite a few times - they often come to my college and do talks and stuff, and to me they just seem really nice.
When I visited bath, the admissions tutor was just going on about how they only want the best. To me the lecturers at Cardiff just seemed so much more passionate in their research and maths as a whole. That's what made the decision for me applying to Cardiff as one of my choices and not Bath

Wow that makes me want to go to Cardiff even more! My only "worry" is if Bath looks more prestigious on a job application after University? Do you think that type of thing is important?
Original post by RobML
Colum hall is decent; a couple of my friends stay there. Near to Lidl (this is super important) and the majority of university buildings, plus there's nuns always wandering around the back.
Is Aberdare the girl's hall? I get mixed up between it and Aberconwy!
And I stay in Talybont Court :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The girl who spoke to me lives in Talybont Court (or Talybont North, I cannot recall), she said that residence is a complete no-go one because it's a trek to get to places :dontknow:

Who doesn't love Lidl :gah: I don't see what added quality nuns add to the residence but ok :lol:

In your opinion, do you think that Colum Hall is worth the price (I'm on about the ensuite). Also, yes, Abedare is the all-girls' hall. It looks so beautiful and really comfy but not quite sure how I'd feel about living with girls after spending years just learning with them and being miserable :lol: maybe it'll be fun..
Reply 229
The girl who spoke to me lives in Talybont Court (or Talybont North, I cannot recall), she said that residence is a complete no-go one because it's a trek to get to places :dontknow:

Who doesn't love Lidl :gah: I don't see what added quality nuns add to the residence but ok :lol:

In your opinion, do you think that Colum Hall is worth the price (I'm on about the ensuite). Also, yes, Abedare is the all-girls' hall. It looks so beautiful and really comfy but not quite sure how I'd feel about living with girls after spending years just learning with them and being miserable :lol: maybe it'll be fun..

All the talybont flats are a trek from the main accademic schools in the city centre - takes around 20/30 mins, if not slightly more, to get there depending on how fast you walk.
Im from Cardiff so I know what people mean when they complain about the walk from talybont!
Original post by Green98
All the talybont flats are a trek from the main accademic schools in the city centre - takes around 20/30 mins, if not slightly more, to get there depending on how fast you walk.
Im from Cardiff so I know what people mean when they complain about the walk from talybont!

Oh my :lol: good thing I wasn't keen on it before I went there.

What will you be applying for and which residences are you interested in (if you're thinking of making Cardiff your firm or insurance, that is.)
Reply 231

Only if you've got tiny legs; I'm lucky I've got long'uns so I don't really mind the walk to the uni buildings (takes me just over 10 minutes). It's very close to two pubs, a restaurant and a Tesco Metro, and has arguably the nicest rooms of any accomodation I've visited.

Lidl is love, Lidl is life. Idk, it's just amusing seeing them pottering around I guess.
I'd say it is but I'd ask someone who actually stays there about it. I've been in Aberdare- don't let the beautiful old brick building at the front fool you because most of the flats are in an ugly 60s build around the back

What are you going to study btw?
Reply 232
Original post by Fdog
Wow that makes me want to go to Cardiff even more! My only "worry" is if Bath looks more prestigious on a job application after University? Do you think that type of thing is important?

A little, but Cardiff is also up there for being good as well. They have quite a few big companies working with Cardiff offering placements years (if you do the course with a placement), and also work with the school of maths to hire graduates after their course.
Also Cardiff are accredited by the IMA (institute of maths and its applications) and Bath are not. For me its important that the course is accredited- heres the list of maths courses at different unis that are accredited: http://www.ima.org.uk/_db/_documents/List%20of%20Accredited%20Degree%20Programmes%20for%20Web%2023-07-2015.pdf
Original post by RobML
Only if you've got tiny legs; I'm lucky I've got long'uns so I don't really mind the walk to the uni buildings (takes me just over 10 minutes). It's very close to two pubs, a restaurant and a Tesco Metro, and has arguably the nicest rooms of any accomodation I've visited.

Lidl is love, Lidl is life. Idk, it's just amusing seeing them pottering around I guess.
I'd say it is but I'd ask someone who actually stays there about it. I've been in Aberdare- don't let the beautiful old brick building at the front fool you because most of the flats are in an ugly 60s build around the back

What are you going to study btw?

I have got tiny legs, so another reason why I won't be applying. :nope: It does look very modern, but I'm thinking about practicality because I'll need to catch the train 3/5 days a week for a 10am start.

Ah yeah that's true, I'll probably create a thread later asking about Abedare.

Also, do Cardiff offer any other types of scholarships except for the merit one if you get AAA in A level or £1,000/annum bursaries? I feel like what they offer to students is so limited in comparison to other unis like say, Swansea who offer money to 'the most promising first year', £500 if you had a great interview, cash and book prizes etc.

I'm going to study Software Engineering :h: What do you study?
Reply 234
Oh my :lol: good thing I wasn't keen on it before I went there.

What will you be applying for and which residences are you interested in (if you're thinking of making Cardiff your firm or insurance, that is.)

Ive applied for maths, and was thinking of takybont gate - thankfully I drive so the walk isnt a problem for me. Or one of the accomodations that are close to the maths building
Reply 235
I have got tiny legs, so another reason why I won't be applying. :nope: It does look very modern, but I'm thinking about practicality because I'll need to catch the train 3/5 days a week for a 10am start.

Also, do Cardiff offer any other types of scholarships except for the merit one if you get AAA in A level or £1,000/annum bursaries? I feel like what they offer to students is so limited in comparison to other unis like say, Swansea who offer money to 'the most promising first year', £500 if you had a great interview, cash and book prizes etc.

Cardiff offer quite a lot of different scholarships and bursaries- different academic schools at cardiff have different scholarships and stuff so Id look on their website and find what schools offer what at Cardiff
Original post by Green98
Cardiff offer quite a lot of different scholarships and bursaries- different academic schools at cardiff have different scholarships and stuff so Id look on their website and find what schools offer what at Cardiff

I'm finding it so hard to find anything for the school of Computer Science and Informatics :puppyeyes: I literally just keep going around the site in circles.
Original post by Green98
Ive applied for maths, and was thinking of takybont gate - thankfully I drive so the walk isnt a problem for me. Or one of the accomodations that are close to the maths building

Ah, having a car must be so convenient for you! I'd be relocating from London though so I don't think moving my car with me would be worth the hassle, though it would make carrying my suitcases and all a hell of a lot easier to do.
Reply 237
I'm finding it so hard to find anything for the school of Computer Science and Informatics :puppyeyes: I literally just keep going around the site in circles.

Ah, having a car must be so convenient for you! I'd be relocating from London though so I don't think moving my car with me would be worth the hassle, though it would make carrying my suitcases and all a hell of a lot easier to do.

Yeah the scholarship info can be quite hard to find - if you email the school they usually get back to you really quick!

And yeah, a car if really handy! Some accomodations have parking so its worth thinking about bringing it. Although, pretty much everything you need is probably in Cardiff, and the actual uni buildings (not accomodation) is based in the city centre so everythings within walking distance, or a short bus ride away
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Green98
Yeah the scholarship info can be quite hard to find - if you email the school they usually get back to you really quick!

And yeah, a car if really handy! Some accomodations have parking so its worth thinking about bringing it. Although, pretty much everything you need is probably in Cardiff, and the actual uni buildings (not accomodation) is based in the city centre so everythings within walking distance, or a short bus ride away

Hhah I was meant to ask all of this on the visit day but I was so preoccupied asking other questions about the course, the area and where I could live! I'll be sure to do that though, thanks. :h:

Yep, Colum Hall has limited parking spaces :colonhash: what are the bus fares like? This is coming from someone whose spent their life not paying for anything-very little to actually having to pay every time I travel :lol: also, are the buses regular?
Reply 239

I'm afraid I have no idea about scholarships as nothing applied to me hehe
Interesting. Philosophy :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending