The Student Room Group

Supporting an average team nowhere near you

Let's be honest, most people either vouch for there local teams or teams that are successful, but what about teams that aren't exactly local and aren't exactly the best either? I've always been a Newcastle United fan after the 2011-2012 season, though it does seem off for a person from London to support a team that is practically enough side of the country, what do you think, anyone else in the same dillema, just to say I haven't been to Newcastle yet and I've got one distant uncle who likes Newcastle because of Shearer lol, but for some reason I just can't see myself supporting anyone else.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing wrong in supporting a team that's far away.

If I was going to choose any Premiership team to start supporting I'd probably pick Newcastle myself.

However I'd much rather support a team that was lower down in the league pyramid. And a Scottish team.And a European team.And an Aussie team.

I think it would be great to support say Newcastle,Queen of the South,Perth Glory,Barcelona and Exeter City.

But I fell in love with Spurs as a boy so I can't.

Cheers
Original post by moggis
Nothing wrong in supporting a team that's far away.

If I was going to choose any Premiership team to start supporting I'd probably pick Newcastle myself.

However I'd much rather support a team that was lower down in the league pyramid. And a Scottish team.And a European team.And an Aussie team.

I think it would be great to support say Newcastle,Queen of the South,Perth Glory,Barcelona and Exeter City.

But I fell in love with Spurs as a boy so I can't.

Cheers

Why?

Bad fans, bad owner, just a bad club in general.
Reply 3
Original post by Diego Costa
Why?

Bad fans, bad owner, just a bad club in general.

Bad fans?
Original post by moggis
Bad fans?

Not all of them obviously, but the way they hounded out Pardew when he was getting good results for them was a bit dodgy.
Reply 5
Not all of them obviously, but the way they hounded out Pardew when he was getting good results for them was a bit dodgy.

Ok but that's what fans do to a large extent.

I love the kit,the history,the atmosphere( based on what I've seen or read) and the fact that their fans are just so desperate for some success.

I'd love to be in Newcatle the next time they win a major trophy.

Unfortunately I will probably be in a care home.:frown:
Original post by moggis
Ok but that's what fans do to a large extent.

I love the kit,the history,the atmosphere( based on what I've seen or read) and the fact that their fans are just so desperate for some success.

Might as well support notts county then :lol:
[QUOTE=moggis;61292059]Ok but that's what fans do to a large extent.

Nowhere near as that bad, especially to managers gaining pretty decent results. Aren't all fans of sides desperate for success, anyway?

Newcastle could win a major trophy if they get a half decent manager sometime soon. They have a big squad and with a decent run of fixtures in the FA/League Cup, a win isn't unfeasible.
Reply 8
Original post by DanB1991
Might as well support notts county then :lol:

Funnily enough I'm seriously considering buying a house in the Nottingham area.
Original post by moggis
Funnily enough I'm seriously considering buying a house in the Nottingham area.

Haha I'm personally a forest fan... but that is far too depressing to wish upon anyone!

County would be a good team to support if you're after a lower league team :smile:
Reply 10
Nowhere near as that bad, especially to managers gaining pretty decent results. Aren't all fans of sides desperate for success, anyway?

Newcastle could win a major trophy if they get a half decent manager sometime soon. They have a big squad and with a decent run of fixtures in the FA/League Cup, a win isn't unfeasible.

That's a good question actually I think.

Are all fans equally desperate for success.

I don't think they are but of course i don't know.

Unfortunately the vitalness of surviving in the Premiership means that they must take the cups less seriously than they otherwise would.

But yes I hope they win a trophy before too long.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by moggis
That's a good question actually I think.

Are all fans equally desperate for success.

I don't think they are but of course i don't know.

Unfortunately the vital news of surviving in the Premiership means that they must take the cups less seriously than they otherwise would.

But yes I hope they win a trophy before too long.

Success is a term which differs for every team. For instance, Man City would only deem this season a success if they won the League. Sunderland would call this season a success if they avoided relegation.

I'm not saying they'll win a cup this season, or even next fwiw. It'd just be easier for them to compete in a cup than Bournemouth, Norwich, Sunderland and the rest of the relegation fodder though.
I have an uncle who lives in Greece and supports Chelsea.
Reply 13
Original post by thunder_chunky
I have an uncle who lives in Greece and supports Chelsea.

That sounds like a promising opening to a decent joke.
Original post by moggis
That sounds like a promising opening to a decent joke.

Not really. But he does support an average team whilst not living anywhere near them. He's never lived near them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice re-writing of history there. Find me one set of fans in the country that wouldn't hound out the manager after the sequence of results we had in the second half of the 13/14 season. Fair play to him he finally turned it round to an extent the month before Palace poached him, at which point fans got off his back. Who'd have thought it!?
Original post by scriggy
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice re-writing of history there. Find me one set of fans in the country that wouldn't hound out the manager after the sequence of results we had in the second half of the 13/14 season. Fair play to him he finally turned it round to an extent the month before Palace poached him, at which point fans got off his back. Who'd have thought it!?

There are plenty of fans that would put up with it. Newcastle were consistently in the top half (they never went below 9th). Fans that would have been happy with that; Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich, West Brom, Hull, Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea, Stoke, Soton, Everton. That's 12 clubs and half are doing better than the Toon, Newcastle are a low-mid table club and their fans should have been more grateful. I remember the fans absolutely pillering him when they won 3-0 against Cardiff
(edited 8 years ago)
There are plenty of fans that would put up with it. Newcastle were consistently in the top half (they never went below 9th). Fans that would have been happy with that; Cardiff, Fulham, Norwich, West Brom, Hull, Villa, Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea, Stoke, Soton, Everton. That's 12 clubs and half are doing better than the Toon, Newcastle are a low-mid table club and their fans should have been more grateful. I remember the fans absolutely pillering him when they won 3-0 against Cardiff

Aye, pick out the game ear marked for protest after we lost 6 games in a row for the first time ever; conceding 17 and scoring 1 in the process. That game also went on to become his only win in 15 games, and his 5th in 10 months.

But yeah, use a home win against a relegated side to show how well he was doing. Brilliant.
Its not right in itself, but it's more right than supporting a top team that you live nowhere near.

Similar to people who support their nearest PL team, even if that PL team is 60 miles away & they have half a dozen lower league clubs closer to them. Just don't.
Original post by dniy-10
Let's be honest, most people either vouch for there local teams or teams that are successful, but what about teams that aren't exactly local and aren't exactly the best either? I've always been a Newcastle United fan after the 2011-2012 season, though it does seem off for a person from London to support a team that is practically enough side of the country, what do you think, anyone else in the same dillema, just to say I haven't been to Newcastle yet and I've got one distant uncle who likes Newcastle because of Shearer lol, but for some reason I just can't see myself supporting anyone else.

If I wanted to support a small team, I'd be a chelsea fan

Quick Reply

Latest