The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone applying to Mphil Development Studies heard back yet? Im still stuck in the department stage.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 601
Original post by canteaus
Has anyone applying to Mphil Development Studies heard back yet? Im still stuck in the department stage.

I'm also applying to MPhil Development Studies! Submitted my application back on around 1st December, but my application isn't complete yet since I still lack some documents. When did you apply? Did you contact the department before? I asked them some questions through email but they still haven't replied...so I got this impression that they are quite slow...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 602
Original post by miiru
I'm also applying to MPhil Development Studies as well! Submitted my application back on around 1st December, but my application isn't complete yet since I still lack some documents. When did you apply? Did you contact the department before? I asked them some questions through email but they still haven't replied...so I got this impression that they are quite slow...

Hi guys,

I applied for MPhil Development Studies as well, turned the application in on November 4th, last reference got turned in on the 18th. Still under consideration by the department. No news on anything since I submitted the application.
Original post by jencvo
Hi guys,

I applied for MPhil Development Studies as well, turned the application in on November 4th, last reference got turned in on the 18th. Still under consideration by the department. No news on anything since I submitted the application.

All of my documents were submitted in the beginning of November and my status changed to "Under Consideration By Department" on November 11.

Im starting to think that I wont hear back until after the Christmas break :/
Reply 604
Original post by ggggg123
My CAMSIS still has 'awaiting consideration' as opposed to 'under consideration' - should I be emailing to check I haven't missed anything or does it sometimes take a while?

Just hold tight. If you just submitted your application and it's the weekend it just means no one has checked it yet to start it through the review process.
Hi all,

Does anyone know if references must be submitted the same time as my application submission or can they be submitted anytime as long as it's before the deadline? Do I upload them myself or can my referee submit via a secure link? Please quote me when responding :smile:
Reply 606
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hi all,

Does anyone know if references must be submitted the same time as my application submission or can they be submitted anytime as long as it's before the deadline? Do I upload them myself or can my referee submit via a secure link? Please quote me when responding :smile:

Your references are due 14 days after you've submitted your application. They should receive an email with instructions on how to submit their recommendation, send to the addresses you provided in the application.
Reply 607
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hi all,

Technically due 14 days after you submit the application, in practice they just need to be in before the deadline. Your referee will receive an email directly from Cambridge asking them to upload.
Reply 608
My CAMSIS still has 'awaiting consideration' as opposed to 'under consideration' - should I be emailing to check I haven't missed anything or does it sometimes take a while?

If it makes you feel any better, my last reference was submitted over 2 weeks ago and I am still stuck at the "awaiting consideration by department" stage. I will probably email to ask in January if my status hasn't changed.
Reply 609
Hi!
I'm applying for the MPhil in Comparative Literatures and Cultures, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the last minute to submit my application (probably first week of January). Now, I need your opinions and advice:I was in Cambridge as an exchange student last year and I fell in love with it. I felt I belonged there, and actually regretted not having applied to Cambridge for my undergraduate studies. So, I thought of asking one of my supervisors and my DoS, both at the department of Modern Languages, to be my referees for my masters application --we already talked about this before I left because it was clear to me that I wanted to go back for the MPhil, and they were 100% ok with it. The idea is that this will "prove" that I've already been to Cambridge, met the standards and did very well, which I think woud be helpful during the admission process. However, now I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea. Is this strategy too... obvious? Would it seem suspicious not to have any references from my actual university? Should I have one referee from Cambridge and another one from my home university?

Also, I know everyone is tired of reading the same questions but what are the chances of being accepted? I will graduate with a 1st from a Spanish university. My research proposal is fine and I've already identified two potential supervisors, but I know the competition is tough. By the way, here goes a stupid question: is it an advantage to be a Spaniard who wants to specialize in Spanish literature at Cambridge? It definitely guarantees that I'm a proficient speaker... :wink: It's long to explain, but I'm applying for a scholarship that will fund my education at the first university of my choice, but only there. So, if I say I want to go to Cambridge and I get the scholarship, I will lose it if Cambridge doesn't accept my application. Maybe I should aim at non-Oxbridge but still excellent universities like Edinburgh or UCL? I really want to go back to Cambridge, but there are other good programmes out there...
Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

(Sorry about the long post) :smile:
Reply 610
whyyyyy do they make us wait like this

which dept are you applying for?

to make it worse I'm taking a chunk of leave over christmas, which means sitting around and refreshing my screen all day (which isn't even useful, cause it's the middle of the night in the UK!)

I'm applying to an MPhil in Archaeology, and I know. I check twice a day for no reason at all....
Reply 611
Original post by Ligeia
I was in Cambridge as an exchange student last year and I fell in love with it. I felt I belonged there, and actually regretted not having applied to Cambridge for my undergraduate studies. So, I thought of asking one of my supervisors and my DoS, both at the department of Modern Languages, to be my referees for my masters application --we already talked about this before I left because it was clear to me that I wanted to go back for the MPhil, and they were 100% ok with it. The idea is that this will "prove" that I've already been to Cambridge, met the standards and did very well, which I think woud be helpful during the admission process. However, now I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea. Is this strategy too... obvious? Would it seem suspicious not to have any references from my actual university? Should I have one referee from Cambridge and another one from my home university?

I'm not a professor or admissions officer, but I imagine it would be somewhat strange if you didn't have a single reference from your home university.

The strongest recommendations come from the professors who know you and your work well. If you have a professor from your home university who you've built a relationship with over multiple years, I'd recommend having them write one of your letters.

You might also ask this question on Reddit.com/r/AskAcademia to get the inside perspective from current professors.
Original post by sj27
There are cases of people rejected by Cam accepted at Oxford, and vice versa. Good luck.

I was contacted by the supervisor I wanted at Cambridge and told to make an application for a different MPhil instead. Chuffed, not a complete rejection after all! Thanks for the support thus far. :smile:
Reply 613
I have more than two degrees and can't enter all of them in the form (which has rooms for only two degrees). What should I do?
Hi guys!

I applied when the applications opened. There have been two degree committee meetings and I know that sometimes this doesn't really mean much. But, I know my department gives out offers on a rolling basis. So need some advice, should I email the faculty and ask whether they're looking at my application or just wait till February?!
Original post by soccerstar04all
Hi guys!

I applied when the applications opened. There have been two degree committee meetings and I know that sometimes this doesn't really mean much. But, I know my department gives out offers on a rolling basis. So need some advice, should I email the faculty and ask whether they're looking at my application or just wait till February?!

Which department?

That's what is happening to the majority of people. It means you aren't good enough to to be given an offer right now, better candidates might still be applying. However you are good enough to stay in contention, ie not bad enough to be given a rejection. You just have to hang on until March or so when the quality of the entire application cohort is visible and you will fall one side of the line or another.

'Gives out offers on a rolling basis' does not mean 'makes decisions on all applications received on a rolling basis'. No amount of emailing and asking will change that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 617
Original post by omgwhat
I was contacted by the supervisor I wanted at Cambridge and told to make an application for a different MPhil instead. Chuffed, not a complete rejection after all! Thanks for the support thus far. :smile:

That's good news! Which was your original program, and which did they suggest instead?

So need some advice, should I email the faculty and ask whether they're looking at my application or just wait till February?!

You shouldn't email the faculty. If you absolutely must email someone it should be the Graduate Admissions Office, but in this situation they'll probably just tell you to be patient and wait.

Original post by Josb
I have more than two degrees and can't enter all of them in the form (which has rooms for only two degrees). What should I do?

Enter your two most recent degrees.
Original post by Aceadria
Which department?

It's an MPhil in Asian Studies

thanks for the advice! really helps
I'll just have to wait and see...
Reply 619
guys, I checked the self service this morning and had this for MPhil Development Studies: Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies. Does this mean the application has been moved forward? The chart than explains how the application is processed does not mention Board of GS so I am a bit confused. thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending