The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9720
I did pretty bad at St Annes (1st) but I got completely mauled at Univ. Bad at geometry for Univ :frown: hopefully I can do well in my St Annes interview tomorrow.

Also anyone at the St Annes JCR quiz? I couldnt stay all the way but team Error best team :P
Original post by AceAttorney123
When they notify you of their decision post interview, do you receive something in the post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it varies from college to college, some send emails while others send letters
Is there anyone who got two interviews and both with the departments?
That means there wasn't any general interview
Looks like we're closing in on getting a new thread :smile:
Original post by Fedelias
Looks like we're closing in on getting a new thread :smile:

Finally - pretty poor in comparison to the Cambridge thread though :colondollar:
Original post by AceAttorney123
When they notify you of their decision post interview, do you receive something in the post?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So most colleges send letters to UK students, though some send emails. They'll probably tell you beforehand which way they'll use. International students normally get emails, although the college may ask internationals whether they want an email to be sent (I'm sure I got a general email last year from John's saying that if I am an international student, I can request an email instead of a letter). The letters will be sent out on the 5th January to get to you on the 6th January. The college will probably tell you how long to wait before contacting them directly to ask for information about offers (i.e. if your letter is taking ages to turn up, although this is caused by the mail system rather than the college!), and if this happens they'll probably email you about it. I have talked to the John's admissions department, and they have told me that the size of the letter varies depending on which college you go to, and so will the content of the letter - some colleges send extra information, others don't. Some rejection letters have also been known to contain booklets of things the college think you'll be interested in in the past, so there is really no way of telling by looking at your envelope! You'll just have to open it!*

I know that this wait can be nerve-wracking, and from last year I know that in a way, TSR actually made me more nervous because I could see everyone stressing out on last year's version of this thread. The thing is, there is really nothing you can do once you've finished your interviews, and you'll be much better off trying to enjoy the holidays (and maybe revise for mocks!). I know it's hard, but ultimately everyone I know from my yeargroup has gone on to do things they are really enjoying - a few got in to Oxford, but I also know some who did not, and they are having an amazing time doing other really cool things (one girl has become an apprentice at the BBC studios, for example - how cool is that?). Oxford is cool, but the point is, it's also very small, and the world is much bigger than it. Anyway, you guys should be looking forward to the holidays now, not worrying about offer day yet! Don't wish the holidays away!

Good luck to all those who still have a few interviews left! :smile:

*forgot to mention that it's also possible to get an open offer, where you get a place, but your college isn't specified until the summer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9726
Original post by danniegee
So most colleges send letters to UK students, though some send emails. They'll probably tell you beforehand which way they'll use. International students normally get emails, although the college may ask internationals whether they want an email to be sent (I'm sure I got a general email last year from John's saying that if I am an international student, I can request an email instead of a letter). The letters will be sent out on the 5th January to get to you on the 6th January. The college will probably tell you how long to wait before contacting them directly to ask for information about offers (i.e. if your letter is taking ages to turn up, although this is caused by the mail system rather than the college!), and if this happens they'll probably email you about it. I have talked to the John's admissions department, and they have told me that the size of the letter varies depending on which college you go to, and so will the content of the letter - some colleges send extra information, others don't. Some rejection letters have also been known to contain booklets of things the college think you'll be interested in in the past, so there is really no way of telling by looking at your envelope! You'll just have to open it!*

I know that this wait can be nerve-wracking, and from last year I know that in a way, TSR actually made me more nervous because I could see everyone stressing out on last year's version of this thread. The thing is, there is really nothing you can do once you've finished your interviews, and you'll be much better off trying to enjoy the holidays (and maybe revise for mocks!). I know it's hard, but ultimately everyone I know from my yeargroup has gone on to do things they are really enjoying - a few got in to Oxford, but I also know some who did not, and they are having an amazing time doing other really cool things (one girl has become an apprentice at the BBC studios, for example - how cool is that?). Oxford is cool, but the point is, it's also very small, and the world is much bigger than it. Anyway, you guys should be looking forward to the holidays now, not worrying about offer day yet! Don't wish the holidays away!

Good luck to all those who still have a few interviews left! :smile:

*forgot to mention that it's also possible to get an open offer, where you get a place, but your college isn't specified until the summer.

Why don't all the colleges send out emails, since it's quicker? Is it because letters are more traditional/ nicer to receive?
Original post by Ambre
Why don't all the colleges send out emails, since it's quicker? Is it because letters are more traditional/ nicer to receive?

Same thing I was asking this time last year - yeah, I think it's mainly tradition, because all the other communication is through email, so it's a bit of an odd-one-out. Plus, it is nice to get a letter - I still have mine, and I know that one of my new friends and I brought ours with us just as proof that we had actually got in! :biggrin: The people who get emails will also find out on the same day, so it should even out :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HassanAftab
Is there anyone who got two interviews and both with the departments?
That means there wasn't any general interview

Oxford doesn't really do "general interviews" - pretty much everything that everyone gets asked will related to the subject they're applying for.
Reply 9729
Original post by danniegee
Same thing I was asking this time last year - yeah, I think it's mainly tradition, because all the other communication is through email, so it's a bit of an odd-one-out. Plus, it is nice to get a letter - I still have mine, and I know that one of my new friends and I brought ours with us just as proof that we had actually got in! :biggrin: The people who get emails will also find out on the same day, so it should even out :smile:

Okay, thanks :smile:
I only had one interview. Is this normal? I thought it was a Skype thing, but my friend was also interviewed via Skype and had two interviews.
Original post by mythofsisyphus
I only had one interview. Is this normal? I thought it was a Skype thing, but my friend was also interviewed via Skype and had two interviews.

Yep it is quite normal! I had only one Skype interview for law too, and so did many of my friends. It's nothing to worry about (:
Do you guys have a MFL interview sheet ?
My interview today at the second college-Brasenose for maths was terrible. I don't know what happened to me, but i could't answer a very easy question. I completely forgot factor theorem and couldn't even use long division which is taught at gcse probably :frown: the interviewers were probably like 'what is he doing at Oxford'.
I believe my forst two interviews were alright with my first college and i was less nervous. So, does anyone know whether my interview at another college affects the decision of the actual college i applied to?
Thanks!
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
My interview today at the second college-Brasenose for maths was terrible. I don't know what happened to me, but i could't answer a very easy question. I completely forgot factor theorem and couldn't even use long division which is taught at gcse probably :frown: the interviewers were probably like 'what is he doing at Oxford'.
I believe my forst two interviews were alright with my first college and i was less nervous. So, does anyone know whether my interview at another college affects the decision of the actual college i applied to?
Thanks!

The colleges share their opinions with each other, but they also understand you can't be on top form all the time. So if the first college wants you, they probably won't worry too much if the second college doesn't think you're so great.

(And don't forget that how you feel interviews went can often bear no resemblance to how the tutors think they went!)
How did med students find their interviews?!

All I can say is that I found a VERY attractive girl and spent all my time thinking about her over my interview!! haha
Original post by buzzfeed23
How did med students find their interviews?!

All I can say is that I found a VERY attractive girl and spent all my time thinking about her over my interview!! haha

Man like 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I had 4 interviews for medicine. Three of them went alright (I think? It's really hard to tell) and one was absolutely horrendous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Think I've finished all my interviews. Maths & Philosophy interviews at St John's were both decent I think (& actually quite enjoyable), as was Philosophy at St Cats :h: completely blew Maths at St Cats though... They were great questions for me as well but I panicked & my mind went blank :angry:
Original post by Dr. Swiftie
So I had 4 interviews for medicine. Three of them went alright (I think? It's really hard to tell) and one was absolutely horrendous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I think we all found at least one horrendous

Latest

Trending

Trending