The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Ask a Current Student Thread

Hi everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official Ask A Current Student thread here on The Student Room.

Our Rep team will be monitoring this thread on Monday to Friday, 9-5, to answer your questions about what it's like to study at Newcastle University.

We also have a team of Student Bloggers writing about topics like UCAS applications, student accommodation, clubs and societies, and all aspects of student life at Newcastle University!

For any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Susie, Matt and Anna
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How many contact hours do you tend to have per week if you're reading Law? Thanks :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by connieiscrazy
How many contact hours do you tend to have per week if you're reading Law? Thanks :smile:

Hi Connie :smile:

I don't study law but I've asked the Law School and they said, on average Stage One students have 12 hours of lectures a week and 2-4 hours of seminars per week.

Please find attached the Law lecture timetable for this year.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Christina
Hey!

I've just applied to Newcastle for Marketing and its definately my top choice!

I was wondering what the course is like in the first year? Do you have many lectures and seminars and are they interesting? What sort of work do you have to do outside of lessons and is there much?

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm a bit lost as we don't study business or marketing at school and none of my teachers studied marketing so they couldn't help me.

Thanks so much!!
Original post by NatalieUK
Hey!

I've just applied to Newcastle for Marketing and its definately my top choice!

I was wondering what the course is like in the first year? Do you have many lectures and seminars and are they interesting? What sort of work do you have to do outside of lessons and is there much?

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm a bit lost as we don't study business or marketing at school and none of my teachers studied marketing so they couldn't help me.

Thanks so much!!

Hi Natalie

Great choice! Newcastle is definitely the place to be if you're a student! I'm on my placement year atm, so its been a full two years since I was in first year. Some modules have changed since then so I thought I'd get out student blogger, Cassandra to answer this one.

Here's what she had to say:
The great thing about studying Marketing at Newcastle University is that in your first year you don’t fully focus on marketing modules only. In addition to the two marketing modules that you’ll be studying,you’ll also have other modules about management, statistics and academic/professional skills. Many current students find the marketing and management modules interesting and engaging, however you might hear some complaints about the statistics and academic/professional skills modules. Ifyou do find yourself having problems with the statistics module, you can always get additional help from the Maths Aid service that the university offers. In terms of the academic/professional skills module, you might not see the relevance of the module while studying it, but if you’re planning on taking a placement year between your second and third year, you’ll realise that the module provides an abundance of help in kick-starting your professional profile.

In your first year, you have at least two hours of lectures for each individual module which is mostly broken up into two one hour lectures across the week but there are a couple of modules which have a single two hour lecture session. In terms of seminars, with the exception of one module, therest of the five modules have seminar sessions. Two of these modules have seminars every week and the other three have about 3-6 seminars across the semester.

In regards to the amount of work you’ll have to do outside of lessons, there isn’t much if you keep up with your assigned reading. The assessments are pretty balanced and manageable for both semesters where you’ll have around two exams at the end of each semester with four assignments due before the exam season. You’ll still have plenty of time to get involved with clubs and societies so don’t worry about it.

I hope that gives you an idea of what first year is like. Let us know if you have any other questions. If you would like to read more about student life, check out our website.

Fingers crossed everything goes to plan :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Natalie

Great choice! Newcastle is definitely the place to be if you're a student! I'm on my placement year atm, so its been a full two years since I was in first year. Some modules have changed since then so I thought I'd get out student blogger, Cassandra to answer this one.

Here's what she had to say:
The great thing about studying Marketing at Newcastle University is that in your first year you don’t fully focus on marketing modules only. In addition to the two marketing modules that you’ll be studying,you’ll also have other modules about management, statistics and academic/professional skills. Many current students find the marketing and management modules interesting and engaging, however you might hear some complaints about the statistics and academic/professional skills modules. Ifyou do find yourself having problems with the statistics module, you can always get additional help from the Maths Aid service that the university offers. In terms of the academic/professional skills module, you might not see the relevance of the module while studying it, but if you’re planning on taking a placement year between your second and third year, you’ll realise that the module provides an abundance of help in kick-starting your professional profile.

In your first year, you have at least two hours of lectures for each individual module which is mostly broken up into two one hour lectures across the week but there are a couple of modules which have a single two hour lecture session. In terms of seminars, with the exception of one module, therest of the five modules have seminar sessions. Two of these modules have seminars every week and the other three have about 3-6 seminars across the semester.

In regards to the amount of work you’ll have to do outside of lessons, there isn’t much if you keep up with your assigned reading. The assessments are pretty balanced and manageable for both semesters where you’ll have around two exams at the end of each semester with four assignments due before the exam season. You’ll still have plenty of time to get involved with clubs and societies so don’t worry about it.

I hope that gives you an idea of what first year is like. Let us know if you have any other questions. If you would like to read more about student life, check out our website.

Fingers crossed everything goes to plan :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina

This was so helpful!! Thank you!
Hey
Although its is a while until we have to pick accommodation, what would you say the best alternative to ricky road is? By that I mean a great lively social aspect (I honestly dont mind noise) in conjunction with a good location? Its just because of the closure for redevelopment happening this summer :smile:
Hi there,

If someone is interested in learning a language alongside their degree (which is not language related), can they still do it? I mean using the resources available at uni.
Original post by rosie.96
Hi there,

If someone is interested in learning a language alongside their degree (which is not language related), can they still do it? I mean using the resources available at uni.

Hi Rosie,

Yes you can! All Newcastle students have access to the Newcastle University Language Resource centre located in the Old Library Building. The Centre has an extensive range of language learning facilities and resources to help you learn a language independently.

Alternatively, the School of Modern Languages also offers early evening language classes in Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish to all Newcastle students, regardless of their degree programme. You'll receive two weekly contact hours and earn extra credit towards your marks transcript (10 credits per module). Find out more about University Wide Language Programme here.

Hope that helps :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi Rosie,

Yes you can! All Newcastle students have access to the Newcastle University Language Resource centre located in the Old Library Building. The Centre has an extensive range of language learning facilities and resources to help you learn a language independently.

Alternatively, the School of Modern Languages also offers early evening language classes in Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish to all Newcastle students, regardless of their degree programme. You'll receive two weekly contact hours and earn extra credit towards your marks transcript (10 credits per module). Find out more about University Wide Language Programme here.

Best wishes,

Christina

That's great, thanks :smile:
What is it like studying agri business management at Newcastle Uni, because I've applied for it and want Newcastle to be my first choice as not many unis do this course. And is it a very competitive degree, because I haven't really found anyone who's done this course yet. This is my dream degree to study because it is both my favourite subjects in one
Just wanting to know what is the intake of students on the (BA) Architecture course and the number of applicants that apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wild&young
Just wanting to know what is the intake of students on the (BA) Architecture course and the number of applicants that apply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

Thanks for getting in touch. The Architecture school usually gets around 600-700 applicants per year and accept around 100 students.

Hope that helps answer your question. You can also find out more about life as an Architecture student on our On Course to NCL website: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/index.php?s=architecture

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi :smile:

Thanks for getting in touch. The Architecture school usually gets around 600-700 applicants per year and accept around 100 students.

Hope that helps answer your question. You can also find out more about life as an Architecture student on our On Course to NCL website: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/index.php?s=architecture

Best wishes,

Christina

What about intake of Biochemistry applicants?
Original post by Desi.Biochemist96
What about intake of Biochemistry applicants?

Hi again,

We do not have numbers for individual Biomedical coursesas our quota is for the school as a whole - we received approximately 1900applications last year, made offers to 95% of these and have places for approx.400 students.Best wishes,

Christina
Hi again,

We do not have numbers for individual Biomedical courses as our quota is for the school as a whole - we received approximately 1900 applications last year, made offers to 95% of these and have places for approx. 400 students. Best wishes,

Christina

I see, well thank you. :smile:
Reply 16
Hey, I've applied for a combined honours course, geography with Spanish (beginners level). However, I'm just wondering how many people apply and what percentage of people get on the course? (Bearing in mind that it's a combined course, I presume it's more likely for people to be accepted as these combinations are often dissimilar and therefore less demand?).

I'm also applying via the Partners scheme, how many applicants through that scheme get into the University? Or is it just done by subject places?
Sorry for lots of questions i'm just a bit unsure haha.
Thanks so much!
Original post by Olijm
Hey, I've applied for a combined honours course, geography with Spanish (beginners level). However, I'm just wondering how many people apply and what percentage of people get on the course? (Bearing in mind that it's a combined course, I presume it's more likely for people to be accepted as these combinations are often dissimilar and therefore less demand?).

I'm also applying via the Partners scheme, how many applicants through that scheme get into the University? Or is it just done by subject places?
Sorry for lots of questions i'm just a bit unsure haha.
Thanks so much!

Hi,

There are about 900 applications each year for the Combined Honours courses, with about 150 places to fill. Were you asking specifically about people applying for Geography and Spanish? I'm not sure if the School of Combined Honours keeps that information about each subject combination (as there are over 20 subjects that can be studied as part of Combined - so that's a lot of possible combinations!) but I can pass your question on, if you'd like :smile:

For the PARTNERS question are you asking about Combined specifically, or all subjects? In 2014 there were over 400 students attending the Summer School, and the vast majority passed the assessment (only about 5 or 6 didn't). The numbers were even higher for 2015 - I can ask the team for the details, if you like.

Persephone
Original post by Pauline123
What is it like studying agri business management at Newcastle Uni, because I've applied for it and want Newcastle to be my first choice as not many unis do this course. And is it a very competitive degree, because I haven't really found anyone who's done this course yet. This is my dream degree to study because it is both my favourite subjects in one

Hi Pauline,

We're trying to find someone who can answer your question :smile: We'll let you know once we get a response, but it might not be until the New Year.

All the best,

Persephone
Reply 19
Hey thank you for your reply!! And oh I see, and yes please but don't worry if they don't hold that info :smile:

And for the Partners it's both, so for all subjects and then mine specificallly. Oh that's filled me with confidence! How long does the summer school last?

Thank you so much for your time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending