The Student Room Group

how hard is psycology a level?

I am choosing my options soon

need help

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's different for all people. I've been on two exam board (WJEC and AQA). I found it fairly easily. It's good if you're a science-type of person that is also good at articulating themselves in essays. If not, I wouldn't be able to recommend it. WJEC for me is very easy and straight forward in comparison to other exam boards. With WJEC there is not much of either depth or breadth (in my opinion anyway). AQA there are a lot of things to cover but you don't necessarily go into depth for all of them, only some parts which is normal. This would better prepare someone that wants to study Psychology at university.

Psychology is hard to some people, and easy to others. It depends what your strengths are as an individual.
Reply 2
Depends which exam board your college uses. I went to sixth form at age 16 for a year and did AQA at AS which was okay. It wasn't especially difficult. Then I decided to go to a different college at 17 and start again in which I took Psychology but with OCR.

AS year wasn't especially difficult however the jump between AS and A2 was ridiculous. (A massive difference between the two as opposed to a mediocre difference like my other subjects.) The workload massively increased and the amount of information we had to learn for the exams was shocking, even the straight A* students were petrified!

They were changing the syllabus from this year though to make it easier however most colleges are now also changing to do all the exams at the end of the two years as opposed to yearly so it will be more difficult in that sense.

I would recommend Psychology as there are a variety of different topics so most people enjoy the majority of the course. I much preferred OCR to AQA though. I also preferred Sociology to Psychology.
Original post by Mazzy95
Depends which exam board your college uses. I went to sixth form at age 16 for a year and did AQA at AS which was okay. It wasn't especially difficult. Then I decided to go to a different college at 17 and start again in which I took Psychology but with OCR.

AS year wasn't especially difficult however the jump between AS and A2 was ridiculous. (A massive difference between the two as opposed to a mediocre difference like my other subjects.) The workload massively increased and the amount of information we had to learn for the exams was shocking, even the straight A* students were petrified!

They were changing the syllabus from this year though to make it easier however most colleges are now also changing to do all the exams at the end of the two years as opposed to yearly so it will be more difficult in that sense.

I would recommend Psychology as there are a variety of different topics so most people enjoy the majority of the course. I much preferred OCR to AQA though. I also preferred Sociology to Psychology.

This is literally me! Psych A2 is insanely hard, it's had me in tears quite a few times already. Sociology is lovely though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
This is literally me! Psych A2 is insanely hard, it's had me in tears quite a few times already. Sociology is lovely though :smile:

I loved Sociology so much. Even though AS year I felt was more difficult than AS Psychology, the jump to A2 Sociology wasn't that big of a difference whereas A2 Psychology took me off guard.

I'm deciding which Uni course to take atm whilst in my gap year. I'd like to do a joint honours Psych/Soc but generally the courses are 70% Psych and I much prefer Sociology as I feel I agree with the perspectives of how they look at society more than i do with Psychology.
Original post by Mazzy95

I felt like A2 Psychology wasn't too much of a jump but it may just be the exam board because I transferred. I feel like WJEC is the AS of all the other boards split into two years. It's not a difficult board at all.

I preferred AQA to OCR. WJEC is not challenging at all. It's really boring to say the least.
Original post by Mazzy95
I loved Sociology so much. Even though AS year I felt was more difficult than AS Psychology, the jump to A2 Sociology wasn't that big of a difference whereas A2 Psychology took me off guard.

I'm deciding which Uni course to take atm whilst in my gap year. I'd like to do a joint honours Psych/Soc but generally the courses are 70% Psych and I much prefer Sociology as I feel I agree with the perspectives of how they look at society more than i do with Psychology.

I really struggled with AS Sociology - I got U's and E's in the mocks right up until March :redface: But in the real thing I ended up with an overall A :tongue: Same here with the jumps, the Soiology one wasn't nearly as big.

I'm planning on doing Social Analytics and Politics at Cardiff... if I can get the bloody grades :frown:
Reply 7
I really struggled with AS Sociology - I got U's and E's in the mocks right up until March :redface: But in the real thing I ended up with an overall A :tongue: Same here with the jumps, the Soiology one wasn't nearly as big.

I'm planning on doing Social Analytics and Politics at Cardiff... if I can get the bloody grades :frown:

I struggled with Sociology at first too - maybe because it was a completely new subject (I did Psychology at GCSE) and English Literature was my third subject and obviously we study that all throughout high school.

I was anxious that I was doing the worst in Sociology so I studied crazily and ended up with an A at AS but then got B and C in my other subjects so it sort of backfired!
Original post by Mazzy95
I struggled with Sociology at first too - maybe because it was a completely new subject (I did Psychology at GCSE) and English Literature was my third subject and obviously we study that all throughout high school.

I was anxious that I was doing the worst in Sociology so I studied crazily and ended up with an A at AS but then got B and C in my other subjects so it sort of backfired!

OMG same! I got an A in Soc, B in Psych and a C in Film Studies :biggrin: Really happy though because this was a retake of year 12 with different subjects (kept Psych though). Before I'd got EEUU.

Have you got any tips for A2 Psych? Really struggling here and I'm never going to pass this exam! *cries*
Reply 9
OMG same! I got an A in Soc, B in Psych and a C in Film Studies :biggrin: Really happy though because this was a retake of year 12 with different subjects (kept Psych though). Before I'd got EEUU.

Have you got any tips for A2 Psych? Really struggling here and I'm never going to pass this exam! *cries*

I am actually currently resitting my A2 Sociology and Psychology exams externally for June. I'm in my gap year atm and want better grades for Uni in September. I got ABC at AS level but CCC at A2 level due to personal circumstances last year.

Are you with OCR for Psych?
Original post by Mazzy95
I am actually currently resitting my A2 Sociology and Psychology exams externally for June. I'm in my gap year atm and want better grades for Uni in September. I got ABC at AS level but CCC at A2 level due to personal circumstances last year.

Are you with OCR for Psych?

I'm aiming for ABB this year, but I have a feeling that Psychology is going to be the subject that makes me miss those grades. Yeah I am :frown:
Reply 11
Pretty hard if you cannot even spell it.
Original post by ubisoft
Pretty hard if you cannot even spell it.

One of the first things my teacher said to our class - if you can't spell it, have a rethink of your options.
Original post by Kobisha
I am choosing my options soon

First you need to know how to spell it
People can struggle with spelling but still be sufficiently intelligent...
Original post by hellodave5
People can struggle with spelling but still be sufficiently intelligent...

Especially with something new that they've never studied before so of course they may be iffy. That doesn't indicate whether they'll be good st the subject or not

Quick Reply

Latest