The Student Room Group

I gave her my number. Did I do the right thing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Conkerr
No, it's really NOT a good idea. You can always say something like: "I thought I would have heard from you", "I thought you would have texted me" or something like that I don't know next time you see her.

I agree, you could always say that ^^ if you want to make it super awkward everytime you see each other and want to come over a bit beggy i guess
Reply 21
Original post by hejraat
I agree, you could always say that ^^ if you want to make it super awkward everytime you see each other and want to come over a bit beggy i guess

I don't see how it would make things awkward. He likes a girl she probably doesn't like him back... No big deal.

I've liked one of my best (female) friend for a long time, I told her a few days ago. She rejected me. I told my best (male) friend and he had the same reaction, that is to say 'it's going to be sooo awkward next time you see each other'. No. It's only awkward if you make it awkward.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Conkerr
I don't see how it would make things awkward. He likes a girl she probably doesn't like him back... No big deal.

I've liked one of my best (female) friend for a long time, I told her a few days ago. She rejected me. I told my best (male) friend and he had the same reaction, that is to say 'it's going to be sooo awkward next time you see each other'. No. It's only awkward if you make it awkward.

That was your best friend, this girl is new he hardly knows her well and only met her once, if I was her I would be thinking Aww bless him giving me his number how friendly of him and would feel bad if he said why I didnt text him. Why should she unless op made it clear to her he was interested in her romantically I would just build a friendship and ignore that i didnt get a text back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 hours seriously? Just wait

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by chikane
That was your best friend, this girl is new he hardly knows her well and only met her once, if I was her I would be thinking Aww bless him giving me his number how friendly of him and would feel bad if he said why I didnt text him. Why should she unless op made it clear to her he was interested in her romantically I would just build a friendship and ignore that i didnt get a text back.

Well imo it's harder when you know the person. I mean, even if it's awkward with someone you don't know, who cares?

That being said it's true that he doesn't really know her and he gave her his number. So she had to make the decision to contact him or not. She decided the latter, and you have to respect this decision. I definitely wouldn't tell her anything but I still think it's a better option than to give her his number for the second time...
You weren't wrong in giving her your number, the ball is in her court, if she doesn't text you that means she's just not that into you. Don't take it personally, although you guys had a conversation, it was your first time meeting eachother.... If I was her I wouldn't text you either- just for the simple fact that I don't really know you. Maybe if you had more convo face to face, got to know eachother. It was just your first time meeting eachother, can't really expect much.
Reply 26
You gave her the ball, she didn't kick it. Oh well too bad, better luck next time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by believeteam22
I met a girl at work today. She is new (just started this week).
We were both working in the stockroom. I saw her, said hi and just got on with my work. Then after a while I asked her if she was new, and after that we just kept on talking, it was just flowing, nice easy conversation, felt really comfortable with her.

Anyway, I decided in my mind that I wanted her number. But I was due to finish before her. And I knew she would have her phone in her locker (work policy).
So I wrote my number on a piece of paper and just before leaving, I gave it to her and said here's my number. She took it and said thanks.

She said before she was going to meet a friend after work, and then go home after that.

It's been 3hrs and I haven't received anything from her.

I kind of regret not asking for her number. I gave her mine, but the ball is totally in her court. If she doesn't contact me, that would be a shame because I think she was great and we had so many similar interests..it was crazy.

Also, we don't work the same days. Today she just came in to help with sale prep.
Now I might see next on xmas eve or boxing day for the sale at work. If she didn't message me, and I see her at work, it would be awkward :/ but I am thinking too far ahead right now lol.

Anyway how long do you think I should wait before just forgetting about it?

Did I do the right thing in giving my number..or in the future, should I always ask the girl for her number.

(Anyone who has followed my other thread will be happy to see I am trying to move on from the other girl lol)

I never take numbers, even if they offer. Always give them your number instead. It shows confidence and weeds out the time-wasters. The relationship dynamics are much more in your favour if she is texting you rather than vice versa.

However, there is not much point giving her your number if you haven't given her a reason she might text you. Normally you would find a sensible reason that she might want your number before giving it to her - eg you have agreed to go for a drink in the week.
Original post by hejraat

No, I shouldn't mention it when I see her again. Certainly wouldn't want to make it awkward or anything
Original post by chikane

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, well I don't think I did anything to suggest anything romantic. I mean, we just talked, about lots of things, just talking and laughing and everything. And at the end I gave her my number (and I meant to imply from that, that hey, message me sometime..or something along those lines).. buy hey..it's been 2 days and she didn't message me or anything. So for now, I take it she is not interested. But when I do see her again, I'll see how it goes and what to do..
Original post by asdfaeth
3 hours seriously? Just wait

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's 2 days now lol
Original post by Conkerr
Well imo it's harder when you know the person. I mean, even if it's awkward with someone you don't know, who cares?

That being said it's true that he doesn't really know her and he gave her his number. So she had to make the decision to contact him or not. She decided the latter, and you have to respect this decision. I definitely wouldn't tell her anything but I still think it's a better option than to give her his number for the second time...

Yeah.. I won't give my number again of course..but let's see how it goes when I see her again. If I feel I could try again, this time I will ask for her number. If not, I'll just leave it at that.
Original post by xobeauty
You weren't wrong in giving her your number, the ball is in her court, if she doesn't text you that means she's just not that into you. Don't take it personally, although you guys had a conversation, it was your first time meeting eachother.... If I was her I wouldn't text you either- just for the simple fact that I don't really know you. Maybe if you had more convo face to face, got to know eachother. It was just your first time meeting eachother, can't really expect much.

Yeah, I'm not too down about it. Just a little disappointed I guess. It happens.
Yeah maybe, I will still talk to her the next time I see her and we'll see how it goes.
Original post by cole-slaw
I never take numbers, even if they offer. Always give them your number instead. It shows confidence and weeds out the time-wasters. The relationship dynamics are much more in your favour if she is texting you rather than vice versa.

However, there is not much point giving her your number if you haven't given her a reason she might text you. Normally you would find a sensible reason that she might want your number before giving it to her - eg you have agreed to go for a drink in the week.

I think I should have asked for her number instead. That way, if I called or messaged her, I could go from the response (or lack of). Like this, I have no idea what she could have done with my number..she could have binned it lol.

The reason I gave her my number was because I thought we get on quite well seeing it was my first time meeting her, we had similar interests, and also, we work different days, so I wanted to be able to talk to her outside of work..that's why I gave my number..I guess she didn't seem the same way..
I think I should have asked for her number instead. That way, if I called or messaged her, I could go from the response (or lack of). Like this, I have no idea what she could have done with my number..she could have binned it lol.

The reason I gave her my number was because I thought we get on quite well seeing it was my first time meeting her, we had similar interests, and also, we work different days, so I wanted to be able to talk to her outside of work..that's why I gave my number..I guess she didn't seem the same way..

The mistake you made was not giving her your number, the mistake you made was giving her your number without first giving her a reason to contact you.

Think about it: why would she contact you? She has no idea why you randomly gave her your number. What are you expecting her to say? She'd probably feel incredibly awkward texting you for no apparent reason. There is no way she was ever going to text you, you completely blew it.

If you had suggested meeting up, and she had agreed, and THEN given her your number, things would have been fine, because she would have known what to say in the text and so wouldn't have felt awkward and confused about it.
Stop overanalysing it. I can already see history repeating itself. How long until this new 'female friend' becomes an obsession too?
Original post by cole-slaw
The mistake you made was not giving her your number, the mistake you made was giving her your number without first giving her a reason to contact you.

Think about it: why would she contact you? She has no idea why you randomly gave her your number. What are you expecting her to say? She'd probably feel incredibly awkward texting you for no apparent reason. There is no way she was ever going to text you, you completely blew it.

If you had suggested meeting up, and she had agreed, and THEN given her your number, things would have been fine, because she would have known what to say in the text and so wouldn't have felt awkward and confused about it.

Ah ok..I didn't think of it like that before. Ok I understand now. I'll do things differently in the future.
Original post by georgiaswift
Stop overanalysing it. I can already see history repeating itself. How long until this new 'female friend' becomes an obsession too?

No no, no chance lol. That won't happen again.
No, I shouldn't mention it when I see her again. Certainly wouldn't want to make it awkward or anything

Yes I was being sarcastic xD do NOT mention it, personally if that happened to me I wouldn't give her any attention (other than the little bit needed to not be rude like say 'hey' and smile when she looks at you, faint friendly smile)
Original post by georgiaswift

Oh god op was the one making a million threads on his last obsession just realised now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending