The Student Room Group

Worst module for Edexcel specification

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
I don't know - whichever I'm teaching at the moment (if you see what I mean!).

I do love teaching mechanics - but I try to teach a variety of modules every year.

I find that C4 is fine if you allow plenty of time for integration chapter

I get ya

Mechanics 1 seems like a chore to teach, if people if the class don't do physics and cant resolve forces, well that must be infuriating

In school we haven't even started differentiation for core 3 yet, so I struggle to see how the course will be taught in time
Original post by kelvin1338
Yeah do M2. It's an A2 module. If you get 90% it counts towards the A* but if you do D1 and get 90% it is meaningless :frown:

Why is it meaningless? If I do M1 at A2 will it not count towards my grade?
Original post by infiniteketchup
Why is it meaningless? If I do M1 at A2 will it not count towards my grade?

To get an A* in A level Further maths overall, you will need to average 90% (A*) across any three A2 modules and 480/600 (80%) UMS overall across your six modules.

M2 (and D2) is an A2 module and contribute towards that 90% A*

D1, M1 are AS modules and even if you get full marks in it, it only contributes towards the 480/600 requirement

Therefore, i'd do M2 over D1 to maximise the chance of you getting an A* (in other words, do as many A2 modules as possible)
S1. Worst module ever. ****ing tables and ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So far it is S2, which I thought I would like as I enjoyed S1.
S1 = bs
Original post by Muttley79
S1 is the one I least enjoy teaching - it is just so uninteresting ...

I can see that...
So what do you think your students struggle with the most? :smile:
Original post by DylanJ42
I get ya

Mechanics 1 seems like a chore to teach, if people if the class don't do physics and cant resolve forces, well that must be infuriating

In school we haven't even started differentiation for core 3 yet, so I struggle to see how the course will be taught in time

In my FM class of 10, only 3 do physics (I'm not one of them) and we aren't struggling...

You'd be surprised to see how different mechanics is taught to be in comparison to physics.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I'm doing A level Maths: C1-4, M1, S1 + A level Further maths: FP1-3, S2, M2, M3. I'm going to be in a pickle for time self-teaching M3 as my sixth-form college don't teach past M2 in class. :frown:

I don't like Decision maths, I opened a DM textbook in the library flicked through it and wasn't my cup of :tea:
Wbu? U :heart: DM?

I really don't want to study D1
Original post by AlphaArgonian
I really don't want to study D1

D1 is fine - it's the most up-to-date maths you might learn at school. The issue is the question have to be simple because of time [and no computer] so the power of the algorithms you are learning is weakened.

If it's linked to real-life applications then it is great.
Reply 50
In my FM class of 10, only 3 do physics (I'm not one of them) and we aren't struggling...

You'd be surprised to see how different mechanics is taught to be in comparison to physics.

I'd agree and say that A level Physics has very little maths/mechanics in it. Only the circular motion and SHM bits can be nice, but you can't usually approach the questions in the same way you'd approach it in M2/3.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I'd agree and say that A level Physics has very little maths/mechanics in it. Only the circular motion and SHM bits can be nice, but you can't usually approach the questions in the same way you'd approach it in M2/3.

So SHM/Circular motion is much harder in M3?
Reply 52
Original post by Student403
So SHM/Circular motion is much harder in M3?

Harder but more fun as well. SHM can be tricky at times, especially when multiple strings get involved. Lots of conservation of energy is used, which can get annoying after a while. To be honest I haven't started M3 past papers, so I don't have a feel of the exams just yet.
Harder but more fun as well. SHM can be tricky at times, especially when multiple strings get involved. Lots of conservation of energy is used, which can get annoying after a while. To be honest I haven't started M3 past papers, so I don't have a feel of the exams just yet.

Unforgiving for mistakes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same. I finished M3 today but not done any past papers

Quite a few people in my class get completely lost when my teacher starts resolving forces for the particles on a slope questions. Maybe your school breeds better mathematicians :tongue:
Reply 56
In terms of most difficult, for me that was FP3. Sucked at loci stuff. The one I hated to do most was S1.
Original post by DylanJ42
Quite a few people in my class get completely lost when my teacher starts resolving forces for the particles on a slope questions. Maybe your school breeds better mathematicians :tongue:

Considering I go to a comprehensive, I'm surprised you'd think that...

Then again...our maths dept. is the best in terms of teaching...
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
In terms of most difficult, for me that was FP3. Sucked at loci stuff. The one I hated to do most was S1.

Ah so FP3 isn't everyone's cup of tea, how'd you find FP2 (if you did it)?

Yeah S1 is boring but I got a B in my test last week (last term I got a D) so I'm happy.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

I'm doing loci atm, I think I might need to watch some youtube videos, reading these notes isn't making it too clear tbh

Quick Reply

Latest