The Student Room Group

Too late to pick up an AS?

Hey guys, this is my first thread and it's regarding UCL.

So I currently do eco, bio and chem and want to do pharmacy. I really want to apply to UCL but they need an AS level and I haven't done one. Would you say it's too late in the year to pick one up? Any recommendations for easy AS levels I could pick up?

Thanks for listening guys, please help!
Reply 1
Original post by TheMeerkat
Hey guys, this is my first thread and it's regarding UCL.

So I currently do eco, bio and chem and want to do pharmacy. I really want to apply to UCL but they need an AS level and I haven't done one. Would you say it's too late in the year to pick one up? Any recommendations for easy AS levels I could pick up?

Thanks for listening guys, please help!

Lots of subjects with reputations for being easy are quite hard to do if you start this late. Maths could be fairly easy (and the most useful :wink:) if you aren't scared.
Reply 2
Original post by ombtom
Lots of subjects with reputations for being easy are quite hard to do if you start this late. Maths could be fairly easy (and the most useful :wink:) if you aren't scared.

I dropped that in my first year which is why I'm doing three :tongue:. But it's an option, thanks for reply.
Reply 3
Probably could, depends if the institution you're studying at will let you take up the class this late (or are you priv candidate?)

But it would mean you'd have to work your ass off over Christmas break to catch up.
Reply 4
I dropped that in my first year which is why I'm doing three :tongue:. But it's an option, thanks for reply.

You could always have another go. Maybe it would be slightly easier since you know what to expect? If not, you could consider Physics. I'm trying to think of a subject without coursework and a relatively "learn-the-facts" syllabus but I'm struggling :tongue:

Do UCL rule out general studies and critical thinking as the AS? Those are probably the two that require least course-work and/or fact cramming.
Reply 6
Original post by Inexorably
Probably could, depends if the institution you're studying at will let you take up the class this late (or are you priv candidate?)

But it would mean you'd have to work your ass off over Christmas break to catch up.

My college doesn't have a vast array of subjects, so I'd probably have to do one privately and yeah my Christmas break will have to be very productive.
Reply 7
Original post by Holmstock
Do UCL rule out general studies and critical thinking as the AS? Those are probably the two that require least course-work and/or fact cramming.

Who doesn't rule them out? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by ombtom
You could always have another go. Maybe it would be slightly easier since you know what to expect? If not, you could consider Physics. I'm trying to think of a subject without coursework and a relatively "learn-the-facts" syllabus but I'm struggling :tongue:

Pretty sure physics AS would be too much of a challenge for me, but then again all I need is an E grade and I'm all good and don't worry, your not the only one struggling as you can see :biggrin:
My college doesn't have a vast array of subjects, so I'd probably have to do one privately and yeah my Christmas break will have to be very productive.

How good are your languages? If you are bilingual, an AS in your second language can be much less time consuming.

Another one that is sometimes ruled out is counting Biology and Human Biology as separate subjects.
Who doesn't rule them out? :biggrin:

UCL general entry requirements at
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/a-levels

Depending on the degree programme, UCL makes offers in the range A*A*A-ABB, plus a pass in a further subject at AS level.
[*]A level General Studies and A level Critical Thinking will only be accepted as an alternative to the additional AS level subject that is required. We do not recognise AS level General Studies and AS level Critical Thinking for admissions purposes.

[*]If you wish to study at UCL you should offer a minimum of two A level subjects from the list of preferred subjects. We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level you offer, provided the other two subjects appear on the approved list. If you are not able to offer two preferred subjects, you should contact the relevant degree programme contact to ascertain whether you can still be considered for admission
Reply 11
Pretty sure physics AS would be too much of a challenge for me, but then again all I need is an E grade and I'm all good and don't worry, your not the only one struggling as you can see :biggrin:

If you only need an E, does it really matter what you pick? Just go for something that sounds interesting. :colonhash:

"These subjects never include assessed coursework of any sort and all the exam boards offer them.

Business Studies

Economics

Government & Politics

Further Maths

Philosophy

Psychology

Religious Studies"

Some weird no-coursework A-levels:

Accounting (AQA & OCR)

Anthropology (AQA)

Arabic (Edexcel)

Bengali (AQA)

Classics/Classical Civilisation (AQA & OCR)

Dutch (OCR; requires listening comprehension from a CD)

Environmental Studies (AQA)

Geography (AQA option B, and Edexcel)

Global Development (Edexcel, AS-only)

Ancient Greek (OCR; route pathway within Classical Civilisation A-Level)

Modern Greek (Edexcel)

Gujurati (OCR; requires listening comprehension from a CD)

Biblical Hebrew (OCR)

Modern Hebrew (AQA)

Hinduism (CIE, mostly overseas centres)

History (CCEA, mainly in Northern Ireland)

History of Art (AQA & CCEA)

Islamic Studies (CIE, mostly overseas centres)

Japanese (Edexcel)

Latin (OCR; route pathway within Classical Civilisation A-Level)

Law (AQA, OCR & WJEC)

Panjabi (AQA)

Persian (OCR; requires listening comprehension from a CD)

Polish (AQA)

Portugese (OCR; requires listening comprehension from a CD)

Sociology (AQA, OCR & WJEC)

Statistics (AQA, option B)

Statistics (OCR, AS-only)

Turkish (OCR; requires listening comprehension from a CD)

Original post by ombtom
If you only need an E, does it really matter what you pick? Just go for something that sounds interesting. :colonhash:

"These subjects never include assessed coursework of any sort and all the exam boards offer them.

Business Studies

Economics

Government & Politics

Further Maths

Philosophy

Psychology

Religious Studies"

Accounting (AQA & OCR)

Anthropology (AQA)

Arabic (Edexcel)

Bengali (AQA)

Modern Greek (Edexcel)

Biblical Hebrew (OCR)

Modern Hebrew (AQA)

Japanese (Edexcel)

Law (AQA, OCR & WJEC)

Panjabi (AQA)

Polish (AQA)

Sociology and Geography both require learning reams of case studies; and possibly law too.

Good list though!
Reply 13
Original post by Holmstock
Sociology and Geography both require learning reams of case studies; and possibly law too.

Good list though!

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend starting Geography this late. I've been behind in it since September. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ombtom

Business Studies

Economics

Government & Politics

Further Maths

Philosophy

Psychology

Religious Studies"

Accounting (AQA & OCR)

Anthropology (AQA)

Arabic (Edexcel)

Bengali (AQA)

Modern Greek (Edexcel)

Biblical Hebrew (OCR)

Modern Hebrew (AQA)

Japanese (Edexcel)

Law (AQA, OCR & WJEC)

Panjabi (AQA)

Polish (AQA)

Great list, big help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest