The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Smith should have declared when Voges got out - 269 and at the rate he was going, 94 SR, a triple hundred was nearby and with WI bowling, very likely
Reply 241
World Twenty20 groups:

1: Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies, England, Group B winner.
2: India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Australia, Group A winner.

Group A, remember, consists of Bangladesh, Netherlands, Ireland Oman.
Group B, meanwhile, has Scotland, Zimbabwe, Hong Kong and the mighty Afghanistan.
You'd suspect it's time for revenge against Bangladesh. But since IhHave a soft spot for Oman (Muscat is amazing) I'm backing them.
So Australia have the West Indies 30/5 following on. It's quite sad to see the West Indies in this position. I know the Australians aren't bad at home, but this is a serious lack of application by the West Indies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could the West Indies lose its Test cricket status if they keep playing like this? Think a few associate teams could give them good games.
Reply 245
Heaviest defeat to Australia in some 114 matches for Windies. Crikey. This is simply not a contest. Bravo boasts the dubious feat of being bowled out twice in the same session, and he was the only one to offer resistance. Pattinson bowled well, and the only negative to Australian's day will be the knee injury to Smith. It seems re-occurring.

I expect Khawaja to come back in for the Boxing Day Test, and this will surely be a whitewash. Burns should be the man to miss out, with Marsh kept at three. Unless, of course, Smith doesn't recover.

I think Bangladesh are capable of offering a better Test series these days.
West Indies have only won 1 test away from home against non minnows since 2001.
Reply 247
Remarkable^. Just shows the state of Windies cricket.

NZ and SL is marginally tighter, though you imagine the home side will be victorious after establishing a 308-run lead.

Kane Williamson became the second New Zealand batsman to score 1,000 Test runs in a calendar year. He is averaging over 90 this year in Test cricket and 60+ in ODIs.
Original post by The_K1NG
West Indies have only won 1 test away from home against non minnows since 2001.

What is wrong with the WI, even Zimbabwe may beat them.

Hasn't Bangladesh won test's against non minnows in the last 1-2 years?
Reply 249
Bangladesh are a better side than the Windies.
WI should get rid of Ramdin, the guy bats at number 6 and hasn't performed recently at all. His keeping isn't even that great either. They should look to get a new guy in. Possibly even with Samuels. They should stick with Bravo, Blackwood and Holder though.
Reply 251
Bairstow and Hales confirmed to start the first Test for England in SA, and Finn looks back in form for the Lions against Pakistan A. Two wickets in consecutive overs despite the defeat.
Gah West Indies

Good on Bravo and Voges.

What is going on with West Indies cricket?
Reply 253
NZ should wrap up the first Test victory tomorrow, despite some poor weather ending the fourth day prematurely.

Watling took a record-equalling ninth catch and SL are three down needing 296 runs to win.
Reply 254
Stokes and Taylor both made tons today (the opening day of the warm-up against a SA Invitation XI).

England reached 470-5. Compton, batting at three, got 58 after we were reduced to 56-3.
Compton should open IMO, atleast for this series. He did nothing wrong before, or so I've heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be happy with the top 6 they picked in the warm up game. Would be open to swapping Hales and Compton in the order but I'm happy with the personnel. Disagree with the likely selection of Bairstow over Buttler but you can't have it all.

Didn't watch any of it but sounds like Hales nicked one through the slips and was bowled playing no shot in his short innings, can see the scrutiny of his off stump game building already.
Reply 257
Compton did nothing to warrant being dispensed with two years ago. He should definitely be opening with Hales at 3, but I guess Cook may worry that an equally slow partner at the crease opening the batting may lead us to be too pedestrian and the opposition may relax and ease into the match? Who knows.

Cook's strike rate is 46, and notoriously slow, while Compton's is even less at 35. Hales being there ups the tempo, at least in theory.
Don't see why they have gone for Bairstow over Buttler. Was under impression latter's break from last Test in UAE was to partially get him away from the game/rest. He's coming off a good knock in the shorter formats but probably wanting him to ease himself back in as it'll be another examination for him vs South Africa but he'll do better on those pitches.
Reply 259
Original post by Aky786UK
Don't see why they have gone for Bairstow over Buttler. Was under impression latter's break from last Test in UAE was to partially get him away from the game/rest. He's coming off a good knock in the shorter formats but probably wanting him to ease himself back in as it'll be another examination for him vs South Africa but he'll do better on those pitches.

I think Buttler is the long-term option, and Bairstow is keeping the gloves warm. It would be so so incredibly ECB and England to drop Buttler for Bairstow long-term, though. I like them both, but Buttler is a special talent. His explosiveness - and the rise of those sorts of batsmen - will always make me favour him.

Bairstow is quite conservative, and he has a decent technique, but he remains unremarkable in Test cricket.

Quick Reply

Latest