The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by sunburner
so I messed up. I messed my interview up SO badly. i made such a bad first impression on both panels because I was expecting the first question to be "why do you want to do medicine?", but it wasn't. so I just looked at them blankly and asked "so it's not about medicine?" LIKE WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC REACTION WAS THAT I COULDN'T EVEN STOP MYSELF BEFORE IT WAS OUT OF MY MOUTH! of course it's about medicine!! gahhh i'm so stupid. there goes my chance at Glasgow. :frown::frown::frown::frown:
and then I just generally spoke too quickly and they probably couldn't hear half of what i was chattering on about! and their faces.. they look friendly at first and then when i was speaking they just look unimpressed/very very very judgemental (I know they're there to judge you, but i just felt so under pressure!! )
this has seriously taken away my confidence for my next interview which is tomorrow... I don't think i'll be doing well tomorrow either

Aw im sorry to hear that! But don't worry about it. You might be over analysing it or even it didn't go as well as you hoped, you know what to do for your next interview. Just put it behind you, you never know what the interviewers were looking for!
thanks for the reassurance guys. :redface: I'll just have to try and forget about it. LOL
also can someone please explain why there are 450 offers for only 200+ places? I know not everyone who gets an offer accepts it, but out of the 450 who get an offer, how do they decide who gets a place if more than 250 accept? is it first come first serve or something?
(clearly I really don't understand how this stuff works )
thanks for the reassurance guys. :redface: I'll just have to try and forget about it. LOL
also can someone please explain why there are 450 offers for only 200+ places? I know not everyone who gets an offer accepts it, but out of the 450 who get an offer, how do they decide who gets a place if more than 250 accept? is it first come first serve or something?
(clearly I really don't understand how this stuff works )

The universities have people who spend A LOT of time calculating how many offers should be given out for the number of places available. If the university did make an error in judgement then they would just have to accept everybody who met the requirements of their offer, but I've heard they get into trouble funding wise if that happens, so they tend to underestimate with the offers then put people on a waiting list in case too few people accept.
Original post by hollyt93
The universities have people who spend A LOT of time calculating how many offers should be given out for the number of places available. If the university did make an error in judgement then they would just have to accept everybody who met the requirements of their offer, but I've heard they get into trouble funding wise if that happens, so they tend to underestimate with the offers then put people on a waiting list in case too few people accept.

that makes sense, thanks. so does that mean, if you do get an offer, you don't have to rush into accepting it, if you want to consider other offers too?
that makes sense, thanks. so does that mean, if you do get an offer, you don't have to rush into accepting it, if you want to consider other offers too?

Yeah when you get the offer you will get given a deadline, but if I remember correctly from last year my deadline wasn't until like the 1st June and all of the unis have to have got back to you by then anyway so you'll have time don't worry!
Reply 705
so I messed up. I messed my interview up SO badly. i made such a bad first impression on both panels because I was expecting the first question to be "why do you want to do medicine?", but it wasn't. so I just looked at them blankly and asked "so it's not about medicine?" LIKE WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC REACTION WAS THAT I COULDN'T EVEN STOP MYSELF BEFORE IT WAS OUT OF MY MOUTH! of course it's about medicine!! gahhh i'm so stupid. there goes my chance at Glasgow. :frown::frown::frown::frown:
and then I just generally spoke too quickly and they probably couldn't hear half of what i was chattering on about! and their faces.. they look friendly at first and then when i was speaking they just look unimpressed/very very very judgemental (I know they're there to judge you, but i just felt so under pressure!! )
this has seriously taken away my confidence for my next interview which is tomorrow... I don't think i'll be doing well tomorrow either

My first interview (Cardiff) went badly tll, but the experience made today's Glasgow interview so much better :smile: where's your next interview? I have one at Hull tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fibsy
My first interview (Cardiff) went badly tll, but the experience made today's Glasgow interview so much better :smile: where's your next interview? I have one at Hull tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry to hear that. what went badly at Cardiff? I have one at dundee tomorrow ! good luck !
Reply 707
Have to be honest the people were lovely.

I ballsed up a couple of my questions.

I only realised one of them was the wrong answer when my panel started laughing and I was like "errrrr... I should have said a different thing there" and they were like "no it's fine, it was just more honest than we expected". Oh well... We'll see how it goes.
Reply 708
sorry to hear that. what went badly at Cardiff? I have one at dundee tomorrow ! good luck !

My nerves made me basically avoid eye contact and just hang my head with my eyes shut for the first five mins... I gave better answers towards the end but I don't think they were good enough to make up for my bad communication skills at the beginning to be honest. :smile: I went so hot and red!

The Glasgow interviewers were lovely. I found that one panel was considerably more smiley and friendly than the other, but everyone else is saying that both their panels were welcoming. :smile: My second panel seemed unimpressed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 709
Nah we all hung about in my group afterwards and chatted and a lot of people were worried with some of their interviewers, as they didn't seem hyper enthused.

I was very fortunate as my 4 were lovely!
Reply 710
Original post by Fibsy
My nerves made me basically avoid eye contact and just hang my head with my eyes shut for the first five mins... I gave better answers towards the end but I don't think they were good enough to make up for my bad communication skills at the beginning to be honest. :smile: I went so hot and red!

The Glasgow interviewers were lovely. I found that one panel was considerably more smiley and friendly than the other, but everyone else is saying that both their panels were welcoming. :smile: My second panel seemed unimpressed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i felt the same about my Glasgow interview, both panels were very nice but one was much more chatty and enthusiastic than the other. Maybe it was just meant to be like that?
Original post by idklol
i felt the same about my Glasgow interview, both panels were very nice but one was much more chatty and enthusiastic than the other. Maybe it was just meant to be like that?

Aye, thats the point of one of the stations
Reply 712
Are you guys sure as I legitimately had 2 really nice stations where both sets of people were mega happy and enthusiastic?
Reply 713
There was this one lad on station 2 with absolutely no emotion at all, I was thinking "is he doing this on purpose or have I pissed him off" . The lady was nice enough, maybe it was the good cop, bad cop thing going on.
(edited 8 years ago)
One of my interviewers asked the same question twice, and had to apologise after I was half way through an answer... 😕 they were all really lovely, but one of them wasn't listening to me at all, but looking at everyone else haha!
Reply 715
I corrected one of my interviewers and when asked a really obvious question I said "yeh I know what it involves, I read the prep book everyone buys"

The man actually started laughing at that answer, which I'm still unsure if it's a good or bad thing.

I will say this, they didn't use personal statements at all. They honestly didn't seem to have a clue who I was.
Original post by Torel
Are you guys sure as I legitimately had 2 really nice stations where both sets of people were mega happy and enthusiastic?

uhh I envy you ! mine were all nice but not happy or enthusiastic at all ! definitely makes you feel like you're doing something wrong !
Original post by Torel
I corrected one of my interviewers and when asked a really obvious question I said "yeh I know what it involves, I read the prep book everyone buys"

The man actually started laughing at that answer, which I'm still unsure if it's a good or bad thing.

I will say this, they didn't use personal statements at all. They honestly didn't seem to have a clue who I was.

thats such a risky answer !! I guess that could turn out really well or pretty bad, hope fully they have a good sense of humour!
Reply 718
It was risky but I said it without thinking and to be honest the question was a knowledge question as in simply "do you know this thing?" And I was like "yup it's in the prep for interview book everyone buys".
got my interview at 2pm tomorrow! :s nerves are kicking in now!
do we have to bring anything? (evidence of work experience etc...)

good luck to everyone who have interviews tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest