The Student Room Group

Mocks vs GCSE Results

Mocks with no revision then actual GCSE results with weeks of revision.
Art: C vs B
Catering: C vs B
English Language: B vs D
English Literature: A vs C
Info Technology: C vs B
Mathematics: A vs B
Media Studies: A vs B
Music BTEC: Level 1 Pass (D equivalent) vs Level 2 Pass (C equivalent)
Religious Studies: C vs D
Science: C vs B
Science (Additional): B vs B
Science (Further) N/A vs D

This gives people a reality expectation for what to receive, obviously this is variant for everyone and it will change dramatically, however it's a good indication to not to do what I did, think that just because you did good in your mocks, that you will do well in your results as well, they are not the same.

Scroll to see replies

I picked catering and have no clue what it is about, it is the second year and we have not practiced any past paper for our exam this year
So just to clarify, in English, you got a better grade in the mocks than the actual GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
On the other end of the spectrum

Subject - mock / real

Ones I was happy with
Maths A* / A*
English lit A* / A
Chemistry A / A
History A* / A

Ones I was disappointed with
Physics A* / A
English lang A* / B

Ones I was very disappointed with
Biology A* / A
RE A* / B
Computing U / B (one mark off an A ffs)
Spanish A / B (OCR lost my coursework, but refused to do anything about it - would've been an A, ugh)
Geography A* / B (one mark off an A again)

WORK HARD Y11s
Original post by FutureMidwife7
I picked catering and have no clue what it is about, it is the second year and we have not practiced any past paper for our exam this year

I know the feeling, our teacher left at the end of the first year due to illness or injury or something so I had no preparation.

For the exam, I recommend researching cutting techniques and styles, types of knives (bread, butcher etc), HACCP, health and safety acts, food hygeine, basic recipes (bolagneis, cakes etc) and just make sure you can write a lot. There are like 6 or 7 two-page answers to write if I remember correctly.

Best of luck, if you remember, be sure to let me know what you get in May!
Original post by Ferdowcey Rahman
So just to clarify, in English, you got a better grade in the mocks than the actual GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Somehow, yes I did. I went down majorly in my real exams, I don't know how because our mocks included our coursework grade and I was really pleased with my English exams, I guess I just wrote the entirely wrong thing or something haha
Original post by jamestg

Subject - mock / real

Ones I was happy with
Maths A* / A*
English lit A* / A
Chemistry A / A
History A* / A

Physics A* / A
English lang A* / B

Biology A* / A
RE A* / B
Spanish A / B (OCR lost my coursework, but refused to do anything about it - would've been an A, ugh)

WORK HARD Y11s

Wow you did really well! The computing one is a shock, I guess you actually decided to try come the final term?

Well done though, you did much better than me, don't be disappointed in Biology if you went from an A* to an A though, that's barely a drop and it's a great achievement. Credit where credit's due man (or gal)
Reply 7
Original post by ChocChipCookiee
Wow you did really well! The computing one is a shock, I guess you actually decided to try come the final term?

Well done though, you did much better than me, don't be disappointed in Biology if you went from an A* to an A though, that's barely a drop and it's a great achievement. Credit where credit's due man (or gal)

Computing only went from a U to a B because we didn't have a proper teacher and ended up having an hour lecture in computing every friday after school.

It wasn't the fact that Biology was a grade lower, it's the fact that I tried really hard with biology and the work didn't really pay off. My ISA was graded down and some of my units were shocking in relation to the amount of work I put in. Now though, I'm pretty happy and couldn't really care much about it.

JUST F*CKING SPANISH WHICH MAKES ME SO ANGRY
Original post by jamestg

Subject - mock / real

Ones I was happy with
Maths A* / A*
English lit A* / A
Chemistry A / A
History A* / A

Physics A* / A
English lang A* / B

Biology A* / A
RE A* / B

WORK HARD Y11s

surely you can appeal to OCR or your school could've done something about it? if my coursework was all lost I would be fuming and doing i can to get it back- all those hours of planning and revising for nothing?!
Reply 9
Felt like sharing mine:
Mocks/Real
English Literature: A*/A*
History: A*/A*
English Language: A/A*
Science: A/A
Additional: A/A
Maths: A/A
Business: B/A

My mocks were pretty accurate, in all honesty.
Reply 10
In physics I got D in the mock and A* in the actual exam
Mocks/Actual

Biology A*/A*
Chemistry A*/A*
Physics A*/A*
Maths A*/A*
Further Maths A/A^
Computing B/A*
Geology A*/A*
Geography B/A
French A/A*
RS B/A*
(Didn't do mocks for english)

My mock results were pretty accurate, and I did scrape the A* on RS (was on the boundary). I did better on my GCSEs than my mocks but we had an ample amount of study leave because we finished the courses relatively quickly.
Original post by tinawu
surely you can appeal to OCR or your school could've done something about it? if my coursework was all lost I would be fuming and doing i can to get it back- all those hours of planning and revising for nothing?!

I got a remark and it went up 3 marks (hardly the 24 it should've gone up). My school didn't really care because I didn't fail it and tbh I ended up with a B so it wasn't too bad but I feel let down by both the school and OCR.

It was too much effort to appeal fully for relatively little gain.
Mocks/ Actual Grade

English language A*/A*
English literature A/A*
Maths A*/A*
Spanish B/A (3 MARKS OFF OF AN A*)
Physics A/A*
Chemistry A*/A*
Biology A*/A*
Geography A*/A*
History A*/A*
RE A/A*

To improve I started practising more exam papers, submitting extra answers to teachers and listening to more Spanish. After Christmas you'll be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses, trust me.
Original post by Braidednightmare
Mocks/ Actual Grade

English language A*/A*
English literature A/A*
Maths A*/A*
Spanish B/A (3 MARKS OFF OF AN A*)
Physics A/A*
Chemistry A*/A*
Biology A*/A*
Geography A*/A*
History A*/A*
RE A/A*

To improve I started practising more exam papers, submitting extra answers to teachers and listening to more Spanish. After Christmas you'll be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses, trust me.

Why did everyone on this site get like straight A*'s?
Won't deny, I did better in my mocks but my actual results weren't awful xD
Original post by ChocChipCookiee
Why did everyone on this site get like straight A*'s?

Because we work for them? (Some might be naturally gifted)
Original post by ubisoft
In physics I got D in the mock and A* in the actual exam

Il00minarty confirmed
Reply 18
Original post by Imperion
Il00minarty confirmed

yes this is my school

Spoiler

I'm confused to why my school is always telling us that everyone's grade increases from mocks. A lot of our teachers are way to easy on us with the mocks, the tests are so simple, and would mainly focus on the bigger topics, would have a lot of simple understanding questions and are marked kindly.

This isn't saying GCSEs are easy, I find them hard, but our Technology teacher put together the paper for the three technology classes, and he tried to include something from every topic, and told us every topic for each question and what we'll have to do (Like Pneumatics: Name simple symbols + complete pneumatic diagram, Materials: Two main types of plastic, alloy and properties of wood, Joints: Making a wood joint). The test was made so easy, and I looked at past papers, they aren't like this.

English Language is confusing, I did crappy across mine, but got a few decent marks (and then did horrible in the multi modal section) to end up getting a good grade, but the marking seemed way to high for me, as I'm awful at writing anything. Maybe, not much is actually epected of you in English Language?

I am likely to fail English Lit. as in the mock, we didn't do Poetry, and were given the simplest questions possible (How is Johnny show to be fragile and Insecure + How does Aunt Alexandria change). I am likely to fail this, as there's no way I'm going to be able to memorize the book as well as revising.

Latest