The Student Room Group

This girl got an interview for oxford but got ABBC for As levels?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
So those headline rates have Cambridge doing "better"...

Anyway, Cambridge publishes stats for maintained v independent success rates per course. Does Oxford? (Genuine question.)

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2014_cycle.pdf

Point me at the Oxford stats, pick some courses and then we can compare.

Eitherway we are straying far from the original contention that you need to be privileged (or a child of a Doctor and not a single parent) to get a place at Oxbridge - I think we can agree that's rubbish...

You can get the same stats on here - http://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissons2/AcceptanceRate?:showVizHome=no#2

For example:

Spoiler

Reply 61
Original post by Lucilou101
You can get the same stats on here - http://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissons2/AcceptanceRate?:showVizHome=no#2

For example:

Spoiler

So Camb has a much "better" success rate for state-educated classicists. Interesting, and possibly surprising. Any ideas why (as its you course isn't it?)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FOXDIE
unfortunately life isn't that nice and people do look at your school name. and many places do favour private school students over students who have gone to public school that happen to be from a bad area. (based on irl experiences)
and i'm guessing they'd get info from interviews, ucas forms, and references.

this is much more spread gossip than fact and public school = Eton, Harrow etc... So may want to rethink that aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
So Camb has a much "better" success rate for state-educated classicists. Interesting, and possibly surprising. Any ideas why (as its you course isn't it?)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's not really a fair comparison - because the applicant profiles could be completely different. Plus the overall acceptance rate for Classics is higher at Cambridge. Classics is an odd one because of the language requirements anyway.
Prince Charles got into Cambridge with two A-levels...
Original post by unprinted

That was nearly 50 years ago... I like to think some things have changed.

Prince Charles is royalty... They are not expected to conform to the same rules as us mere mortals
Jesus Christ, don't be so gullible. Out of the 13 at my Oxford interview this year, 9 were from state schools.

They look at you highly if you are from a disadvantaged background but still get good grades.
Reply 68
Well it's not really a fair comparison - because the applicant profiles could be completely different. Plus the overall acceptance rate for Classics is higher at Cambridge. Classics is an odd one because of the language requirements anyway.

For Engineering:

Spoiler

Oxford private school applicants are more succesful.

But yes on a course by course basis there are significant differences between the unis. e.g. private school mathmos have more success at Cambridge, while state school Medics are more successful at Oxford.
That was nearly 50 years ago... I like to think some things have changed.

Ha.

If William (A in Geography, B in History of Art, C in Biology) or Henry (B in Art, D in geography) had wanted to go to Cambridge, both would have managed.
Reply 70
Ha.

If William (A in Geography, B in History of Art, C in Biology) or Henry (B in Art, D in geography) had wanted to go to Cambridge, both would have managed.

How do you know they didn't enquire about it at the time and were politely told "no"?
An interesting rumour: although Cambridge has a higher proportion of state school students, on measures that are often thought to be better indicators of student background (i.e. POLAR and ACORN) then Oxford is in the lead.

Though I've got no idea why that would be, it does fit that the two might not be correlated: e.g. a number of my Oxford friends when to private schools, but on scholarship.
Reply 72
Original post by fluteflute
An interesting rumour: although Cambridge has a higher proportion of state school students, on measures that are often thought to be better indicators of student background (i.e. POLAR and ACORN) then Oxford is in the lead.

Though I've got no idea why that would be, it does fit that the two might not be correlated: e.g. a number of my Oxford friends when to private schools, but on scholarship.

Tabs get private school scholarships too :wink:

But would be interesting to see any data on that.

On the Free School Meal measure neither do well but that's probably more an indictment of pre-university education than Oxbridge per se.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/oxbridge-access-dfe-releases-free-school-meal-stats/2012190.article

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
How do you know they didn't enquire about it at the time and were politely told "no"?

Someone would have blabbed.
Reply 74
Someone would have blabbed.

Considering William did end up doing a (bespoke) course at Cambridge anyway the point is moot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending