The Student Room Group

Man who shouted 'You ain't no Muslim bruv' after Leytonstone attack fears retribution

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheRadUser
Western liberals defining Islam :rofl: :facepalm2:

What the **** does he know about what is and isn't Islamic?
Erm... it is Islam that defines a Muslim as such. It is easy to find out by doing thet "research" thing. You know, reading about a subject from a variety of sources and using corroboration to reinforce a position.
If a "western liberal" repeats something that is sacrosanct in Islam, does that suddenly make it wrong? You make no sense.
Original post by QE2
Erm... it is Islam that defines a Muslim as such. It is easy to find out by doing thet "research" thing. You know, reading about a subject from a variety of sources and using corroboration to reinforce a position.
If a "western liberal" repeats something that is sacrosanct in Islam, does that suddenly make it wrong? You make no sense.

I agree.

So how can some non-Muslim tell a Muslim he is not Muslim, because how he acts does not fit with his politically correct notion of what it means to be Muslim?
ISIS are not muslims as islam is a religion of peace. Muslims are under a great threat from the far right who are actually far more dangerous to the country than ISIS who are a tiny extreme minority. The military should be sent in to protect muslim areas in my opinion, they are at risk from attacks by both the far right and ISIS.
Reply 23
Original post by TheRadUser
I agree.

So how can some non-Muslim tell a Muslim he is not Muslim, because how he acts does not fit with his politically correct notion of what it means to be Muslim?
Sorry, thought you were replying to my post on what defines a "Muslim".
Reply 24
Original post by intelligent con
ISIS are not muslims
Just repeating something over and over does not make it true.
If members of ISIS truly believe that Allah is the only god and Muhammad was his final messenger, that the Quran is the final revelation of Allah - perfect and immutible, they make salat, fast, and give zakat...then they are indeed Muslims.
Just because you disagree with some of their interpretation of scripture does not change that.

as islam is a religion of peace.
No it isn't!
Islam promotes peace to those who accept or submit to Islam.
It promotes violence to those who oppose Islam.

Have you ever read the Quran?

Muslims are under a great threat from the far right who are actually far more dangerous to the country than ISIS who are a tiny extreme minority. The military should be sent in to protect muslim areas in my opinion, they are at risk from attacks by both the far right and ISIS.
No they aren't.

And what are "Muslim areas"? I thought that the vast majority of Muslims happily and easily integrated into British society. You make it sound like there are self-imposed ghettos.
ISIS are not muslims as islam is a religion of peace. Muslims are under a great threat from the far right who are actually far more dangerous to the country than ISIS who are a tiny extreme minority. The military should be sent in to protect muslim areas in my opinion, they are at risk from attacks by both the far right and ISIS.

It doesnt help if you try to claim that anyone that isnt part of your chosen interpretation of Islam is not muslim. Like when sunnis say shias are not muslim and vice versa.

Is it so difficult to admit that they are muslim, and that there are violent people and extremists in most religions?
Reply 26
This is a total non-story. The guy just wants 15 minutes of fame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Slow news day.
If terror has no religion and that attacker "aint no muslim bruv" then whom is this man fearing reprisals from?

In Europe:

Muslim deaths by far right - 0
Muslim deaths by IS - 2<
Muslim deaths to Islamophobia - 0
Kuffar deaths to Muslims - - Hundreds

You're right. Send in the army to protect the poor Muslims
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Johann von Gauss

Using your logic, if I call myself christian, I am, while disbelieving everything in the bible

Religious membership is entirely subjective (i.e. an individual is the sole arbiter of whether he belongs to any religion). :smile:
Perhaps you should educate yourself on Islam, you bigot

Would you argue that those behind the Inquisition or the Crusades were not Christian? I remember being taught about the Crusades at my Catholic school, and not once was the argument made that those who participated were not Christian. Why? Because it is a fact that Christians have to face up to. A fact that there do exist extreme interpretations of Christianity.

The members of ISIS are Muslim. But they have an extreme and literal interpretation of what Islam is. If you don't agree with ISIS, then criticise their interpretation of Islam. But to ignore that they are Muslim is to fail to acknowledge the root cause, namely, a strictly literal and extreme interpretation of Islam. Denying this will prevent any progress from being made.
Original post by The Epicurean
Would you argue that those behind the Inquisition or the Crusades were not Christian? I remember being taught about the Crusades at my Catholic school, and not once was the argument made that those who participated were not Christian. Why? Because it is a fact that Christians have to face up to. A fact that there do exist extreme interpretations of Christianity.

The members of ISIS are Muslim. But they have an extreme and literal interpretation of what Islam is. If you don't agree with ISIS, then criticise their interpretation of Islam. But to ignore that they are Muslim is to fail to acknowledge the root cause, namely, a strictly literal and extreme interpretation of Islam. Denying this will prevent any progress from being made.

It's a no true scotsman fallacy m7.
Reply 33
Just because someone says they are muslim doesn't make them muslim

Using your logic, if I call myself christian, I am, while disbelieving everything in the bible

Just because you say they aren´t muslims doesn´t make them not muslims. If a muslim (or a christian, sikh, buddhist etc) kills someone, they are still considered a muslim even though murder is prohibited in these religions. They might be a ¨bad muslim¨ but they are still a muslim. According to your logic anyone who doesn´t follow the precepts of their religion 100% is not a real member of that religion, which is nonsense because in all religions there is no unified agreed upon 100% right way to do things.

ISIS are muslims. The clue is in the first I, Islamic. They are from the muslim world, they were all raised muslims in an muslim environment in countries that have been historically muslim. They follow the Koran, they believe in Allah, they believe Mohammad was his prophet and the last prophet. In reality they are much more ¨true muslims¨ than western muslims who drink, eat pork, don´t pray 5 times a day etc, and for whom Islam is a matter of identity more than anything.

They are muslims just like Al-Queida, Al-Shabab, Boko Haram, the Taliban etc are all muslims.
For those arguing the statement that 'ISIS' are not muslims', your explanations are absolutely corrrect, but you don't understand the person's statement.

It is true that they are muslims. However, why would ISIS follow their own extremist teachings? That's not Islam. A true muslim does not follow the way they are now. That's why they're not considered proper muslims.

Generally, even if people use muslim as an 'identity' and not follow their teachings correctly, they're still not proper muslims. Despite this, we can't judge them, so let god do that and guide them, including other people who can still help them.
"You ain't no muslim bruv" Sounds like a very intelligent man 😂
Didn't "ISIS" bomb a mosque in Saudi Arabia?

Like...really?

What makes someone muslim?
Isn't it the submission to God?
Not the nationalism or association to themselves with nationalists?

There's no reason to criticising each other with information that may not be correct, so...

Obviously, we will have different opinions but the opinions are nothing but assumptions.
;/
Reply 37
Original post by Alisa59
For those arguing the statement that 'ISIS' are not muslims', your explanations are absolutely corrrect, but you don't understand the person's statement.
I certainly don't understand this statement!

It is true that they are muslims. However, why would ISIS follow their own extremist teachings?
But they aren't following their own teachings. They are following a literalist and unmodernised reading of the Quran and sunnah.

If the stories in the sunnah are accurate, Muhammad would recognise the Islam of ISIS over that practiced by the majority of British Muslims today, so who are the "true Muslims"?
Original post by QE2

...so who are the "true Muslims"?

The ones who follow the Quran and sunnah properly, including the teachings and knowledge :smile:

I'm just clarifying the individual's statement in the previous page, not a crappy debate about islam.
Reply 39
Original post by Alisa59
The ones who follow the Quran and sunnah properly,
And which are those?
The ones who see it all as valid and applicable, or those who think some of it is no longer applicable?

Would Muhammad agree that some parts of the Quran are only relevant to 7th century Arabia and do not apply to the modern world?

Quick Reply

Latest