The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Applicants 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Hhah I was meant to ask all of this on the visit day but I was so preoccupied asking other questions about the course, the area and where I could live! I'll be sure to do that though, thanks. :h:

Yep, Colum Hall has limited parking spaces :colonhash: what are the bus fares like? This is coming from someone whose spent their life not paying for anything-very little to actually having to pay every time I travel :lol: also, are the buses regular?

Up until your 19th birthday you can get youth tickets (so just say youre 18) haha. Youth singles are £1.30, youth day to go £2.40, youth week to go £9, or slightly cheaper if you have an iff card. All of this is on the Cardiff Bus website - and prices are a bit higher if you travel just outside of cardiff to places like Barry. The trains are also fairly cheap, but prices depend on how far youre travelling
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by LFB2612
I applied for Mechanical Engineering and have an interview :smile: I'm from Cardiff 🤓

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one! I have also applied for MEng at Cardiff, just got an interview today! What date are you going for, do you think it will matter if I went for one of the later ones? I'm worried that by then most places will have filled up!
Original post by wdbirch19
Nice one! I have also applied for MEng at Cardiff, just got an interview today! What date are you going for, do you think it will matter if I went for one of the later ones? I'm worried that by then most places will have filled up!

cool I've applied for MEng in Mechanical Engineering, just sent my ucas off on Thursday. How long did it take for them to reply to you and what were your predicted grades?
Original post by Fdog
I want to do Maths at Cardiff hopefully! But I am not sure about Bath or Cardiff as Uni's which is better do you think?

Bath in general is more prestigious and very popular for Maths (since they require STEP and are flooded by applicants with very high grades).

One reason I chose Cardiff was due to the fact the city is much cheaper to live in (Bath is very expensive). In terms of course structure both uni offer the same compulsory modules, but Bath has more option for first years.
I've just been looking at the areas surrounding Cardiff - Radyr Woods, Penarth, Barry Island etc. and I actually think that it'll break my heart if I don't get in now before I didn't mind as long as I got into either Cardiff or Aberystwyth but now...

I'm never gonna get ABB (thanks to Psychology :angry: )

I've fallen in love with it completely, rather than being equally in love with two

(I'm firming Cardiff for Social Analytics & Politics)
Original post by emiloujess
I've just been looking at the areas surrounding Cardiff - Radyr Woods, Penarth, Barry Island etc. and I actually think that it'll break my heart if I don't get in now before I didn't mind as long as I got into either Cardiff or Aberystwyth but now...

I've fallen in love with it completely, rather than being equally in love with two

You have a few months until the A2 exams. Why is it an impossibility for you to get ABB?
Original post by Hydeman
You have a few months until the A2 exams. Why is it an impossibility for you to get ABB?

Because of Psychology! I can barely remember anything we've done and every time I even think about it I start to panic. I can't imagine getting anything above a C :frown: Arrrrgggggghhh!

I've got the question structures nailed (according to my teacher) but what's the use of that if I can't remember everything?
(edited 8 years ago)
Because of Psychology! I can barely remember anything we've done and every time I even think about it I start to panic. I can't imagine getting anything above a C :frown: Arrrrgggggghhh!

Yes, but you have plenty of time before the exams to get your head around it, so what's the problem? :smile: It's only a matter of revision, practice, revision, practice...
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, but you have plenty of time before the exams to get your head around it, so what's the problem? :smile: It's only a matter of revision, practice, revision, practice...

My issue is that if I can't remember what we've done in the first section, how am I supposed to remember double that information plus stress/anxiety in the exam? I'm probably worrying way too much and if I put my mind to it and actually started revising I'd remember a lot more but at the moment I'm kinda in a vicious cycle where I can't revise because I'm panicking, but then I'm panicking because I'm not revising :frown:
My issue is that if I can't remember what we've done in the first section, how am I supposed to remember double that information plus stress/anxiety in the exam? I'm probably worrying way too much and if I put my mind to it and actually started revising I'd remember a lot more but at the moment I'm kinda in a vicious cycle where I can't revise because I'm panicking, but then I'm panicking because I'm not revising :frown:

You'll recover, just give it time. :wink: The exams are a good 4 - 6 months away so you have plenty of time to stop panicking. In the meantime, just take baby steps towards it. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
You'll recover, just give it time. :wink: The exams are a good 4 - 6 months away so you have plenty of time to stop panicking. In the meantime, just take baby steps towards it. :smile:

I'll try :redface: Thanks :smile: To be fair I felt this way about Sociology last year and I ended up with an A so hopefully the same thing happens with Psychology this year :tongue:
Would is still get offer from uni during the christmas break??
Original post by dream_big
Would is still get offer from uni during the christmas break??

University admissions get holidays, too.

They usually close around 20-24th December and reopen around the 5-7th January.

Stay positive! :unimpressed:
Original post by kkboyk
Stay positive! :unimpressed:

I have days where I think it'll never happen and days where I think I can do anything I put my mind to. But I'm trying...

I have days where I think it'll never happen and days where I think I can do anything I put my mind to. But I'm trying...

I have completely lost all my motivation and do not look forward for any day of the week, so I pretty much get what you mean

Have you planned out how you'rw going to use your christmas holidays? :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
I have completely lost all my motivation and do not look forward for any day of the week, so I pretty much get what you mean

Have you planned out how you'rw going to use your christmas holidays? :tongue:

Kinda glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :redface:

Yeah, I have a plan of what to do (whether I'll stick to it is another thing entirely):
- Psychology cue cards
- Sociology cue cards
- Film Studies cue cards
- copy up notes
- Edit Film Coursework (from a D to a hopeful A :frown: )

See what I mean when I say I'll never get ABB?

What have you got to do? What have you applied for? :smile:
Kinda glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :redface:

Yeah, I have a plan of what to do (whether I'll stick to it is another thing entirely):
- Psychology cue cards
- Sociology cue cards
- Film Studies cue cards
- copy up notes
- Edit Film Coursework (from a D to a hopeful A :frown: )

See what I mean when I say I'll never get ABB?

What have you got to do? What have you applied for? :smile:

I've applied for Maths :tongue:

That doesn't sound bad. However you should test yourself often: when I did essays subject I got exam questions and pasted it on word document. When I then finish reading my notes I would just answer those questions (although most required you to write a page or two, I just bullet pointed the main points to mention and some evidence).

If you do that on a daily basis then it would become much easier to remember everything. PM if you need help :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
I've applied for Maths :tongue:

That doesn't sound bad. However you should test yourself often: when I did essays subject I got exam questions and pasted it on word document. When I then finish reading my notes I would just answer those questions (although most required you to write a page or two, I just bullet pointed the main points to mention and some evidence).

If you do that on a daily basis then it would become much easier to remember everything. PM if you need help :tongue:

I tried Maths at AS before... I got EEUU that year and had to retake year 12, lol (probably the reason why I'm certain I'll fail this year too)

I'll try doing that, thanks :smile: I didn't really do exam practice last year, just learnt the techniques and memorised the studies (being 2UMS off an A is still slightly annoying). This year we have 4 10-markers and 4 15-markers in one of the exams. I've also got to retake the AS Film exam :frown:

Course: Electronic/Electrical Engineering
Uni: Cardiff, Bristol , Loughborough, Brunel, York
Gcse: C , C, C,D, D, C
Btec extended L3: 1st yr - DDD
Btec 2nd Year predicted: D*DD
Just send off my application but very nervous and excited at the same time.
Would I get an offer? For any?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending