The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YeloSweetPotato
Two absolute prerequisites:

1. Extensive and diverse work experience, on which you can give good reflections, firstly in your form and secondly, if you find the chance, at the interview. This might make the difference in the end.
2. Good grades, in both your A levels that must include Chemistry etc and your degree. There is no admissions exam, and precisely for that reason they will look out for strong evidence of academic strength and motivation.

What is also useful to know: even AFTER the interview they will still also take into account your application. I don't know how much weighing is given to each component but I do think the application (especially the separate form you have to complete) is important. As for me, I might have done average in the interview (70 interviewees, so somewhere among 30-40 best/worst, depends on your perspective ...) but I put in a lot of effort in the application form which might have shifted me to the lucky 24 or 26 who were given offers. I gathered diverse experience and thought about what I gained from each a lot, keeping diaries and a whole blog on it and discussing it with clinicians, family and friends. So I volunteered in a Tanzanian clinic abroad for a month last summer, collected surveys with cancer patients (speaking with individuals for hours) for a year, shadowed doctors in the UK and Italy, volunteered in a hospice in Italy and now work as full-time healthcare assistant in the NHS.

The interview is slightly challenging, it's not vastly different to other med schools but they do want to see how you think. I was completely clueless at one of the stations and did not do that well in others, I made informed/smart guesses and justified them and that is what they probably liked. If you enjoy intellectual discussions, be it on science and/or ethics, they will see it, even through the veil of your anxiety. I thought I had appeared too insecure, as all my fellow interviewees looked very confident, but perhaps it was fine. They must also have liked some of the personal examples which I mentioned in my answers.

Yes, read all of the ISC book in a more leisurly mode. Then compile a catalogue of questions and try to answer them, perhaps take notes for the most important ones. Read a lot about medical ethics, google stuff, use the GMC guidance, borrow a book. Keep up with the news, read a few articles on the NHS (google "NHS" and go to the "News" tab and pick a few articles) every day or every other day. Make summaries of those you want to remember and skim the summaries together with your work experience diaries and question catalogue every now and then and in the last days before the interview. Try the practical station type of questions with yourself. Watch videos of consultations on Youtube as several medical schools make you comment on them and also generally do some research what constitutes a good consultation: verbal and non-verbal skills, structure, etc. And if your course is academically rigorous/very sciency, make sure you also keep your scientific mind busy by reading reviews or whatever on topics of interest.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck to you all! :smile:

Thanks that's amazing. What were your a level grades? I see they don't specify a grade but say that most applicants have AAA
Original post by Shellfish002
For Grad Entry?

Got a 1st in Biochemistry with a 685 UKCAT and got a bit too hopeful due to them asking for my transcript. I haven't been offered interview or heard back since and I'm a little disappointed

Has anyone else received that "admissions newsletter" about 4 hours ago? It feels like a 'sorry we've not offered you an interview' pamphlet.

Yeah for grad I asked the lady on the admission and she said interviews are apparantly still going out. I aldo asked about the admissions newsletter and she said its a generic email and everyone was sent one.

I am predicted a first in biomedical sciences and got 757.5 for UKCAT and also haven't heard back yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Albert95
Yeah for grad I asked the lady on the admission and she said interviews are apparantly still going out. I aldo asked about the admissions newsletter and she said its a generic email and everyone was sent one.

I am predicted a first in biomedical sciences and got 757.5 for UKCAT and also haven't heard back yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a grad too applying for A100. Are they going to be sending interviews this week only?
Just wanted to do a shout out to Notts for rejecting me on my 21st birthday. Cheers for that stab in the back, they couldn't have waited one more day.
Original post by Charlottemc1234
Just wanted to do a shout out to Notts for rejecting me on my 21st birthday. Cheers for that stab in the back, they couldn't have waited one more day.

How nice of them!! 🙄

Happy birthday though 😬😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really sorry to hear that, what bad timing! Happy birthday though :wizard:
Original post by chris2016
MBBS4, SGUL Nicosia, Med School;
Today is Tuesday, and I just had my MMI today for SGUL Nicosia!!!

I am so elated, but I do not want to crush myself and get rejected either.

We are not allowed to speak of the particulars, and I will respect that.

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and encourage others at least today.

I wish the best to everyone trying to move forward in the process.

Chris Raabe, "Biomedical Physics 2015 graduate, Wayne State, Uni, Detroit, MI USA"

Congrats on the after interview elation! I hope it works out well for you! 😄😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhhhh a birthday to remember! Hopefully the other unis will make up for the stabbing of this one

Good luck! & happy birthday !
One of my best friends has received an interview offer for Warwick. It's in just under a month. What should he be doing to prepare? From what I've read it'll be an assessment centre?

EDIT: Nvm found a good post a page back
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone received rejections from Warwick yet? I didn't get the work experience form so was expecting a rejection but haven't heard anything.
Gl for anyone at the Leicester interview today, I'm currently in the med school cafe crying over my failed experiments.
To anybody that has recieved an offer: did it come through UCAS, or directly from the uni, or both?

I would really appreciate anybody's insight as I have an email from UCAS and have completely lost my s***
Original post by Ooooooooowen
To anybody that has recieved an offer: did it come through UCAS, or directly from the uni, or both?

I would really appreciate anybody's insight as I have an email from UCAS and have completely lost my s***

Come on then! Give us an update!! :tongue:
Turns out Southampton offered me a place through UCAS ... I've just been showering my cat with copious amounts of completely unwanted love and affection ever since.

He's a miserable fur-ball that loves me really! :biggrin:
Turns out Southampton offered me a place through UCAS ... I've just been showering my cat with copious amounts of completely unwanted love and affection ever since.

He's a miserable fur-ball that loves me really! :biggrin:

Wow - congratulations! Was this for BM4 - were you at the selection day on 7/8 December?

UCAS was a bit slower than my uni (Cambridge) but they did email me just one or two days after!
And someone else's experience:

Turns out Southampton offered me a place through UCAS ...

Congrats!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by DazzleLight
Has anyone received rejections from Warwick yet? I didn't get the work experience form so was expecting a rejection but haven't heard anything.

I have had a rejection already a few weeks ago. What was your UKCAT score?
I also received an offer from Southampton today through Track!!
ok so I have been trying to search information about funding for grad entry med - interested in maintenance, can anyone tell me what it would be for London and outside of London - the maximum amounts.

I know that outside of London last year it was just under 6k? is that the same this year?
Original post by wciselko
ok so I have been trying to search information about funding for grad entry med - interested in maintenance, can anyone tell me what it would be for London and outside of London - the maximum amounts.

I know that outside of London last year it was just under 6k? is that the same this year?

Yep, 6k last year, although it's going up next year to about 8k outside London: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

A big chunk of that is means tested (starting to reduce from a household income of £25,000), although according to the student finance people here on TSR it's only your parents' or partner's income that's taken into account, not yours.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply