The Student Room Group

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

We used to be a monarchy so actually we put that family in power, our ancestors did rather. And the majority do want them. It is easily forgotten they are the Canadian, Aussie and Kiwi head of states

Which, imo, they shouldn't be. Think the new Canadian guy thinks along the same lines as that (off topic but how lovely is he I think I'm in love)
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Of UK citizens 80% approve the monarchy in the last survey

Really? I must only know the other 20%
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I can give more reasons I think we should abolish the monarchy, I was just tired and lazy :tongue:

Hmmm :wink:
Original post by gladders
Hmmm :wink:

Isn't a girl allowed to be lazy without an inquisition anymore? :tongue:
Reply 104
Original post by Andy98
Really? I must only know the other 20%

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are a population of 70 million
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

We are a population of 70 million

Well yeah
Yes. I personally completely disagree with the idea of inherited power and titles. I have nothing personal against the Royal Family - in fact I think the Queen does a bang up job. But it is the principle I despise.

I also believe the House of Lords should be reformed and inherited seats should be phased out. Ideally I'd like it abolished and replaced with some sort of elected senate. But the cost of that would be enormous and it would destabilise the government.
Reply 107
Original post by Andy98
Never denied that. I just don't get the point in them other than the revenue, I mean it's not as if they're elected or even wanted - most people forget their names until one gets married. They're pretty much a less hated version of the Kardashians with power nowadays.

One of the best responses I've read:biggrin:
Original post by Hans_301
Apparently an estimated 2/3 people support the Monarchy. I'd like to know your views.
:smile:

(Very pleased with all the responses! So interesting to read. I honestly didn't expect this turnout. TSR is the s**t!)
Appreciate it all. Thought-provoking stuff.

TSR is the home of the far left radical nut cases. Expect the result to be an overwhelming against the monarchy
Reply 109
Original post by Gears265
TSR is the home of the far left radical nut cases. Expect the result to be an overwhelming against the monarchy

Thanks for the heads-up!
Reply 110
when does the poll close?
Reply 111
Original post by Ace123
when does the poll close?

When I figure out how to close it, was my first post on here:colone:. Once I do, results will be posted on Boxing Day.
The monarchy is just a joke
Down with Thatcher.
The majority of people favour the monarchy now.

However, When King Charles III is crowned, the public opinion will likely be very different.
Original post by Rinsed
I would never support anything so seditious or downright traitorous.

Traitorous? So the only way to be a patriot is the preservation of this countries most most significant symbol of inherited power and privilege?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Traitorous? So the only way to be a patriot is the preservation of this countries most most significant symbol of inherited power and privilege?

Pretty much.

But don't just take my word for it.
Reply 117
Original post by Free_Icecream_Yo
The majority of people favour the monarchy now.

However, When King Charles III is crowned, the public opinion will likely be very different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He will never rule
Reply 118
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
The monarchy is just a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like the way you make an assertion with no justification..very...GCSE
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

He will never rule

...is elizabeth immortal? woahhh!

Quick Reply